Are US Passports needed for children?

Aosborn

7 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Thankfully, Carnival cruise ship rarely make Sunday ports of call but it is also sad that the US government will not help it own people.

The government tells people to get a passport.  People ignore that.  The consulate is also closed Saturdays and holidays. 

17 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

A agree, I have had a passport since I was a college student but most cruisers do not want to put out the money. 

oh but they most likely will spend money on alcohol and souvenirs.  

Don't folks understand the passports are good for 10 TEN years.   oh well.

• Like 3

When we started cruising it would have cost around $850 for passports for a 4 day cruise. After doing the research we determined that the risk was low enough to warrant traveling with documents we already had (birth certificates for the kids, birth certificates and photo ID for us). We knew that we wanted to travel by air internationally but we also knew that it would be several years before that could happen. Yes, passports for adults are good for 10 years, but why start the clock ticking before you need to? Maybe if you have the ability to drop things and jet off to take a great travel deal, but if you can't do that then it makes no sense. We obtained passports in 2015 when we flew to Germany for the first time and had we bought them when we started cruising they would have been over halfway to expiring.

Gambling on not getting the passport? Maybe a little but for the vast majority of people it is a low risk proposition and the risks are acceptable or mitigatable. The authorities have the ability to waive the passport requirement for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons. There will be a delay (likely measured in hours unless there are extenuating circumstances involved) while the arrangements are made but the passenger will be allowed to fly directly back to the US where they will have to be cleared in secondary inspection. 

All international travel is not created equally. A closed loop cruise is not an air trip to Paris or a trans-Atlantic cruise. Whether anyone likes it or not DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security and that is why the exception exists. Until that determination changes the requirements aren't likely to change. People should use the documentation that works best to meet their needs and their decision affects no one else.

So, yes, on a closed loop cruise a birth certificate for a child under 16 is sufficient, if they are 16 or older they need a government issued photo ID. (And some cruise lines do require all passengers to have a passport so it is important to double check that. Carnival is not one of those cruise lines.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2

You've already received your answer:  Assuming it's a closed-loop cruise, you can cruise with an OFFICIAL birth certificate and a state-issued ID.  Whether you should get the passport or not isn't so easy to answer -- you should think through all the details: 

Reasons to get a passport: 

- If you need to fly home mid-cruise for whatever reason, a passport will remove one big obstacle.  Flying home from a foreign country will be easier, cheaper and faster.

- While the possibility of an emergency is quite small, an emergency could happen to any of us.  

- If you're a nervous person, it may give you peace of mind.  

- If you plan other non-cruising vacations planned, a passport may be a necessity for those trips.  

Reasons not to get a passport: 

- Passports are pretty expensive, and they have an expiration date, whereas you almost certainly have a birth certificate, and it will never expire.   

- Yes, they're good for 9 1/2 years (can't cruise with a passport that's going to expire within 6 months), but if you're just going to cruise once or twice in that time, it's an expensive item to keep in your home safe.  Said differently, it's only a good value if you're using it.  

- A passport is some trouble to obtain:  a picture, a birth certificate, a form, waiting.  The birth certificate alone is easier, and I assume you have a driver's license.

- Passports do not make boarding/disembarking a cruise ship any easier or faster. 

- The reality is that once you're on a cruise ship, you're probably not going to leave until the scheduled time -- passport or no passport: 

Regardless of what's in your wallet, you won't be able to fly home until you reach an island, and that may be as much as two days. 

Once you reach that island, its small airport may or may not have a flight going anywhere near your house on the day you arrive at the island. 

If you can buy a ticket, it will be last minute, which is another word for expensive.  

- If you fear the ship leaving you behind on an island, it would be about 10000 Xs easier to buy a watch than to deal with getting yourself home (with or without a passport).  

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You've already received your answer:  Assuming it's a closed-loop cruise, you can cruise with an OFFICIAL birth certificate and a state-issued ID.  Whether you should get the passport or not isn't so easy to answer -- you should think through all the details: 

- If you need to fly home mid-cruise for whatever reason, a passport will remove one big obstacle.  Flying home from a foreign country will be easier, cheaper and faster.

- While the possibility of an emergency is quite small, an emergency could happen to any of us.  

- If you plan other non-cruising vacations planned, a passport may be a necessity for those trips.  

- Passports are pretty expensive, and they have an expiration date, whereas you almost certainly have a birth certificate, and it will never expire.   

- Yes, they're good for 9 1/2 years (can't cruise with a passport that's going to expire within 6 months), but if you're just going to cruise once or twice in that time, it's an expensive item to keep in your home safe.  Said differently, it's only a good value if you're using it.  

- A passport is some trouble to obtain:  a picture, a birth certificate, a form, waiting.  The birth certificate alone is easier, and I assume you have a driver's license.

- Passports do not make boarding/disembarking a cruise ship any easier or faster. 

- The reality is that once you're on a cruise ship, you're probably not going to leave until the scheduled time -- passport or no passport: 

Regardless of what's in your wallet, you won't be able to fly home until you reach an island, and that may be as much as two days. 

Once you reach that island, its small airport may or may not have a flight going anywhere near your house on the day you arrive at the island. 

If you can buy a ticket, it will be last minute, which is another word for expensive.  

- If you fear the ship leaving you behind on an island, it would be about 10000 Xs easier to buy a watch than to deal with getting yourself home (with or without a passport).  

This is a good post but a few clarifications are needed. First, you say that a passport makes it cheaper to return to the US, which can be confusing. While it might mean not having to stay in a hotel for an extra night the actual cost of the flight will be the same whether or not one has a passport. Having to incur extra expenses makes a better case for having good travel insurance than it does for a passport. Yes, an emergency can happen to anyone, but many emergencies are driven by the choices we make. I read of someone getting injured on a 4 wheeler on an excursion. Emergency. Had they chosen not to partake in something hazardous while on a cruise the emergency would have been avoided. Of course we don't know the person's skill level with 4 wheelers so we don't know how prudent the decision was to take that particular excursion. Another family that I read about the dad missed the ship because the family split up and he was waiting for the rest of the family at the wrong rendezvous point. Emergency. Had the family stayed together or been clearer in their communications with each other the emergency wouldn't have happened. 

You also say that passports don't make embarkation/disembarkation any easier or faster. That isn't always the case. Since we've had our passports check in has been a little easier and faster since they use our passport photo and don't have to take one (not an appreciable savings in time, but a step avoided). Some ports do have separate lines for those who have passports and those who don't, so passport holders tend to clear Customs faster at those ports. And some ports have facial recognition apparatus that makes the process faster. While it wouldn't influence my decision to get a passport since we only cruise once a year it might influence some. 

Finally, you say that passports without 6 months remaining on them can't be used for cruising. This is a common misconception. None of the islands in the Caribbean that are visited on closed loop cruises (that I'm aware of) have any requirement for validity for passenger passports. Since many people on the same cruise may not even have one it would be silly to impose such a requirement. Some countries doe have a 6 month requirement for visitors but they are only a handful. Most countries have a 3 month validity requirement, but again this requirement is for visitors by land and air. I would feel comfortable cruising on a closed loop cruise with 1 month remaining on my passport.

You do bring up an excellent point- the question of traveling without a passport is a double edged one. First, may a passenger travel without a passport? Yes, if certain conditions are met the passenger may legally and licitly travel without a passport on closed loop cruises. Those conditions are going to vary a bit from person to person. Some US citizens are naturalized so they would need to use their Naturalization Certificate. Some were born to US parents overseas. They would need to use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Second, should a passenger travel without a passport? The answer to that is going to depend on a lot of facts that we don't typically know. What are the passengers risks? Are any of the risks avoidable? What is their comfort level with their risks? How often do they travel and what means do they use for traveling? The list goes on and the same answer doesn't apply to everyone. 

• Like 1

Read the stories of people who got stuck in a foreign country trying to get home.  You don't want to be stuck on shore without clothes, phone charger, and personal items... now you have to go shopping.  You have to be interviewed when they are open, get a hotel room, maybe go shopping, taxis all over.  You may have to figure it out on your own. Some ports have an agent who will help, not all do.  

In some ports, you have a long way to get to a consulate or embassy.  Stuck in Cozumel?  You must get on the Ferry to the mainland, and take a long expensive ride to Merida to get to a consulate. Some assistance is available online if you have a PC. 

You can't make an airline reservation until you have your emergency passports. Then you may not get seats for a few days.  Food and hotel costs accumulate.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This is a good post but a few clarifications are needed. First, you say that a passport makes it cheaper to return to the US, which can be confusing. While it might mean not having to stay in a hotel for an extra night the actual cost of the flight will be the same whether or not one has a passport. Having to incur extra expenses makes a better case for having good travel insurance than it does for a passport. Yes, an emergency can happen to anyone, but many emergencies are driven by the choices we make. I read of someone getting injured on a 4 wheeler on an excursion. Emergency. Had they chosen not to partake in something hazardous while on a cruise the emergency would have been avoided. Of course we don't know the person's skill level with 4 wheelers so we don't know how prudent the decision was to take that particular excursion. Another family that I read about the dad missed the ship because the family split up and he was waiting for the rest of the family at the wrong rendezvous point. Emergency. Had the family stayed together or been clearer in their communications with each other the emergency wouldn't have happened. 

You also say that passports don't make embarkation/disembarkation any easier or faster. That isn't always the case. Since we've had our passports check in has been a little easier and faster since they use our passport photo and don't have to take one (not an appreciable savings in time, but a step avoided). Some ports do have separate lines for those who have passports and those who don't, so passport holders tend to clear Customs faster at those ports. And some ports have facial recognition apparatus that makes the process faster. While it wouldn't influence my decision to get a passport since we only cruise once a year it might influence some. 

Finally, you say that passports without 6 months remaining on them can't be used for cruising. This is a common misconception. None of the islands in the Caribbean that are visited on closed loop cruises (that I'm aware of) have any requirement for validity for passenger passports. Since many people on the same cruise may not even have one it would be silly to impose such a requirement. Some countries doe have a 6 month requirement for visitors but they are only a handful. Most countries have a 3 month validity requirement, but again this requirement is for visitors by land and air. I would feel comfortable cruising on a closed loop cruise with 1 month remaining on my passport.

You do bring up an excellent point- the question of traveling without a passport is a double edged one. First, may a passenger travel without a passport? Yes, if certain conditions are met the passenger may legally and licitly travel without a passport on closed loop cruises. Those conditions are going to vary a bit from person to person. Some US citizens are naturalized so they would need to use their Naturalization Certificate. Some were born to US parents overseas. They would need to use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Second, should a passenger travel without a passport? The answer to that is going to depend on a lot of facts that we don't typically know. What are the passengers risks? Are any of the risks avoidable? What is their comfort level with their risks? How often do they travel and what means do they use for traveling? The list goes on and the same answer doesn't apply to everyone. 

What I meant by a passport can make returning to the US cheaper:  If you're forced to disembark unexpectedly on an island without a passport, you're probably going to find yourself stuck there a few days while "the powers that be" allow you to fly home.  This means you'll pay for a hotel, food, and more during those days.

Agree that travel insurance would be a help in such a case. 

Also agree that it's often our choices that lead to an emergency.  Your example about splitting up the family is perfect:  had the family not split up, likely the emergency would've just been a hiccup. 

I do not agree that looking at two papers vs. looking at one passport makes embarkation /disembarkation any faster.  I've encountered individual Customs Agents who were faster /slower or more thorough /less thorough than others -- I'd say that makes more difference than the type of identification you're carrying. 

It's not the islands that won't allow you to come /go with an almost-expired passport.  It's the cruise line.  They aren't willing to take any chances that you'll be unable to leave their ship /terminal. 

I also agree that some of us are "easier" than others.  Me, I'm a natural-born American with no "red flags" in my paperwork or appearance (not fair, but true).  I agree that people with more complicated histories may have more trouble passing through Customs (again, not fair, but true). 

Also agree that each individual should assess his or her personal risk factors and comfort level.  What I dislike is people being bullied /scared into the idea that they should-should-should spend a fairly large amount on a passport, even though their only plan for the moment is to take one cruise.  As you say, many of these questions are individual in nature.

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Read the stories of people who got stuck in a foreign country trying to get home.  You don't want to be stuck on shore without clothes, phone charger, and personal items... now you have to go shopping.  You have to be interviewed when they are open, get a hotel room, maybe go shopping, taxis all over.  You may have to figure it out on your own. Some ports have an agent who will help, not all do.  

In some ports, you have a long way to get to a consulate or embassy.  Stuck in Cozumel?  You must get on the Ferry to the mainland, and take a long expensive ride to Merida to get to a consulate. Some assistance is available online if you have a PC. 

You can't make an airline reservation until you have your emergency passports. Then you may not get seats for a few days.  Food and hotel costs accumulate.

Stuck without clothes, phone charger personal items -- this means you need money, not a passport.

Stuck on the wrong side of a body of water?  Again, you need money, not a passport. 

Even with a passport, you may not be able to get plane tickets for days.  And again, that means money -- lots of it.  If you're trying to get your whole family on a plane, you probably won't do it with last-minute tickets.

Your concern seems to be finding yourself stuck on an island -- as I said above, buy a watch.  Also understand ship time vs. island time.  Keep your family together.  Have a back-up plan in case something happens AND communication fails.  Always plan to be back at the ship a solid two hours before it sails.  With or without a passport, there's no excuse to be left behind.

Incidentally, you're talking to the daughter of an immigrant, a person who has traveled internationally all her life.

You're also talking to the daughter of two airline employees, who has traveled "Space Available" quite often and is accustomed to being stuck here and there without notice. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

AFAIK all ports have a port agent that assists cruise passengers. From what I've read in Cozumel CBP/State Department issues the passenger a letter authorizing flying to the US and when the passenger lands they are sent to secondary inspection. This process takes a couple of hours to complete and all the passenger does is wait since the arrangements are made between the cruise line/agent/authorities. I have read nothing to suggest that this is any different in any other port without a consulate/embassy present. I've read of two instances where passengers had to leave a ship in a port with an embassy and they spent two hours or less at the embassy getting their passports (and they had to wait until the next day to go). Again, mentioning extra expenses is a better argument for having good travel insurance. 

29 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

What I meant by a passport can make returning to the US cheaper:  If you're forced to disembark unexpectedly on an island without a passport, you're probably going to find yourself stuck there a few days while "the powers that be" allow you to fly home.  This means you'll pay for a hotel, food, and more during those days.

Agree that travel insurance would be a help in such a case. 

Also agree that it's often our choices that lead to an emergency.  Your example about splitting up the family is perfect:  had the family not split up, likely the emergency would've just been a hiccup. 

I do not agree that looking at two papers vs. looking at one passport makes embarkation /disembarkation any faster.  I've encountered individual Customs Agents who were faster /slower or more thorough /less thorough than others -- I'd say that makes more difference than the type of identification you're carrying. 

It's not the islands that won't allow you to come /go with an almost-expired passport.  It's the cruise line.  They aren't willing to take any chances that you'll be unable to leave their ship /terminal. 

I also agree that some of us are "easier" than others.  Me, I'm a natural-born American with no "red flags" in my paperwork or appearance (not fair, but true).  I agree that people with more complicated histories may have more trouble passing through Customs (again, not fair, but true). 

Also agree that each individual should assess his or her personal risk factors and comfort level.  What I dislike is people being bullied /scared into the idea that they should-should-should spend a fairly large amount on a passport, even though their only plan for the moment is to take one cruise.  As you say, many of these questions are individual in nature.

Yes, I realize that is what you meant by cheaper and I thought that I mentioned that (my original reply didn't take so I may not have mentioned that in my second attempt). But having expenses for hotel/food etc. may just a easily happen to someone who has a passport, it depends on how often flights happen from the port. 

You didn't read my post closely enough about disembarkation because I wasn't talking about one document versus two or the speed of individual agents, I was talking about those homeports that have a separate line for passport holders or that have facial recognition for those with passports. In those ports having a passport can certainly save one time at disembarkation, especially if most of those disembarking don't have one. 

As for the cruise lines not letting you board most of them only recommend having 6 months validity, mostly because they sail all over the world and don't want to have to clog the FAQ with all of the itineraries that it might apply to. I have never heard of a mainstream line turning someone away at embarkation for having less than 6 months remaining on their passport for a closed loop cruise (although some premium/luxury lines do require it and also require everyone to have a passport regardless of itinerary).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

AFAIK all ports have a port agent that assists cruise passengers. From what I've read in Cozumel CBP/State Department issues the passenger a letter authorizing flying to the US and when the passenger lands they are sent to secondary inspection. This process takes a couple of hours to complete and all the passenger does is wait since the arrangements are made between the cruise line/agent/authorities. I have read nothing to suggest that this is any different in any other port without a consulate/embassy present. I've read of two instances where passengers had to leave a ship in a port with an embassy and they spent two hours or less at the embassy getting their passports (and they had to wait until the next day to go). Again, mentioning extra expenses is a better argument for having good travel insurance. 

So again, I read several accounts.

Port agent:  Did you carry the daily ashore with you that has the phone number?  Once the ship sails the port agent disappears.  Local police know nothing!  Is your phone charged? Do you have broadband Internet?  It's scary and confusing. The reality is the port agent may or may not be helpful. In one case they dumped the family at a bad hotel and gave them the address of the consulate and disappeared.

Cozumel:  That must be true in Mexico then.  But you'll need to find all the phone numbers and a hotel first. I suspect you will need hotel help to print the letter and go to the airport to present it to book a flight. You can't put in a letter in the passport field online or on the phone.  In other countries, the accounts I read were quite an ordeal, with multiple visits and lots of waiting!

The point is this is confusing, you are stressed when left behind, possibly sick or injured, and lacking the clothes and phone charger and spending money like crazy.  Trip insurance is important (but reimburses in most cases!)

21 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

So again, I read several accounts.

Port agent:  Did you carry the daily ashore with you that has the phone number?  Once the ship sails the port agent disappears.  Local police know nothing!  Is your phone charged? Do you have broadband Internet?  It's scary and confusing. The reality is the port agent may or may not be helpful. In one case they dumped the family at a bad hotel and gave them the address of the consulate and disappeared.

Cozumel:  That must be true in Mexico then.  But you'll need to find all the phone numbers and a hotel first. I suspect you will need hotel help to print the letter and go to the airport to present it to book a flight. You can't put in a letter in the passport field online or on the phone.  In other countries, the accounts I read were quite an ordeal, with multiple visits and lots of waiting!

The point is this is confusing, you are stressed when left behind, possibly sick or injured, and lacking the clothes and phone charger and spending money like crazy.  Trip insurance is important (but reimburses in most cases!)

The port agent is there in part to handle this important task when needed and is a wealth of information regarding everything the passenger needs to know- where to stay, where to purchase items, what needs to be done to get a flight, etc. etc. and should be the first stop for any passenger left behind, even if they have a passport. Of course there will be a range of competence and while the family you read about reported it as a "bad hotel" it's possible it was the only one available. The letter, as I understand it, is provided by the authorities to the airline- in the two accounts that I read the passengers were directed to go to the airport where they boarded their flight back to the US. There are certainly unknowns in the process, CBP and State don't broadcast their exact procedure, but the fact remains that no one is left stranded. Certainly if one is worried about being stressed and confused their course of action should be to obtain a passport (and of course they will still be stressed and confused and left to spend money). But there is no need to try to scare people into it. 

Not having the necessary funds has been the biggest issue faced by two of the passengers that I've read about- both were sick or injured and needed money for the medical treatment. Not having a passport was the least of their concerns and having a passport wouldn't have helped them all that much. Millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport with no issue. 

Don't get me wrong- I fully recognize that a passport is king of the documentation world and for many it's what they need. But for others whose travel needs are different traveling without a passport is a viable, legal choice to make. 

• Like 1

As far as port agents go, it's printed on every Fun Times for  each port of call: the name of the port agent, the address, the phone number and the email address. I would suspect(but cannot verify) that the same information is on the Hub App for each port of call. Valuable information, if you need it. 

3 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

As far as port agents go, it's printed on every Fun Times for  each port of call: the name of the port agent, the address, the phone number and the email address. I would suspect(but cannot verify) that the same information is on the Hub App for each port of call. Valuable information, if you need it. 

I have never paid attention.  Thanks for that info!

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

If it's on the Hub App one needs to make a note of it because once you leave the ship's wifi area you lose access. At least as I understand it.

• Thanks 2

Needed? No. Recommended? Yes. If something crazy happens and must fly home from a foreign country, you will have to go through the embassy to get a temporary pass to return to the US. That adds time. Odds of this happening is low, but you probably don't want to be in it if at all possible.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:10 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I just cruised in May with my passport that expired in June - no issue. 

On 6/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, sparks1093 said:

You didn't read my post closely enough about disembarkation because I wasn't talking about one document versus two or the speed of individual agents, I was talking about those homeports that have a separate line for passport holders or that have facial recognition for those with passports. In those ports having a passport can certainly save one time at disembarkation, especially if most of those disembarking don't have one.

In such a case, I don't think it's possible to predict whether most of your fellow travelers would present passports or birth certificates.  That is, you can't predict which line would be longer; it could even vary hour by hour.

Again, I'm just against people trying to scare others into thinking a passport is always necessary.  It's not a one-size-fits-all thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

In such a case, I don't think it's possible to predict whether most of your fellow travelers would present passports or birth certificates.  That is, you can't predict which line would be longer; it could even vary hour by hour.

Again, I'm just against people trying to scare others into thinking a passport is always necessary.  It's not a one-size-fits-all thing.

You are correct that it is not a one-size-fits-all. But when it does happen, you list the advice that you didn't really need a passport, and you get stuck in a foreign country having to wait for your government, don't complain about the costs and waiting. Just accept that you cheaped out to someone else's advice, let it be a life lesson, and move on. 

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. But people who have disembarked in those ports have reported longer lines for non-passport holders and I have no reason to doubt them. Of course I'm not about to spend $150 just to avoid a longer line once a year. 🙂

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

You are correct that it is not a one-size-fits-all. But when it does happen, you list the advice that you didn't really need a passport, and you get stuck in a foreign country having to wait for your government, don't complain about the costs and waiting. Just accept that you cheaped out to someone else's advice, let it be a life lesson, and move on. 

Or what is more likely to happen is they will realize that the government acted rather quickly to help them and they weren't stuck at all and none of the horror stories people told them came true. The government does an excellent job of repatriating US citizens that need assistance, both within the area covered by the WHTI and throughout the world.

Heck, if a traveler has such a need they'll even loan them money to return home (a lot of hoops need to be jumped through to receive that particular assistance and one must exhaust all other means of obtaining funds but it does show the lengths that will be gone through to assist travelers).