What services do a butler offer?

Regarding snacks:  First, it shouldn't be a big deal to ask, although they really should be offered.  The components are generally part of various room service menus or available at the OVC.  In fact, there are YouTube videos of dozens of cheese plates being prepared in Celebrity ship kitchens.  Second, get specific or else you may just end up with the standard cheese plate and basic saltine crackers in cellophane (not need for a suite and butler for that).  Third, get creative, anything edible on the ship should be eligible, at least to ask.  The concept is convenience.  You could theoretically find, for example, cheese, roasted almonds and breadsticks in a few places, salty potato chips (crisps) at Eden Cafe on sea days on E-Class, candy at scoops, etc., but wouldn't it be easier and a more relaxing vacation if you weren't forging for a snack at your requested time?  Lastly, you've paid about $1,800 or more a day.  Even if it was half that much, the price should cover a lot of snacks, and the butler is otherwise doing what at the requested time? 

Regarding breakfast:  if you have a recurring order, find the menu, mark it up, make copies, and attach it to the hang card each night AND give it to the butler OR, at least, take a picture each day of your order form and when you place it on your door for the timestamp.  This way you're not filling out the card, making the same notes each time, and can increase the chances the order is filled, as requested. 

*Would be so much easier if one could communicate with butlers via email or chat, and also place orders online (not sure it matters who delivers the food, although butler's have room access).  

13 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

We got told we could get them from the Retreat Lounge !!!

I think the unwritten rule is if you want anything other than standard snack delivery then request in advance. We make our afternoon snack delivery part of the first conversation with our butler. We would never phone the butler or catch him at 4pm and ask for snacks there and then. If we did want something last minute we would go and get something from the buffet or Retreat lounge.

If I had asked the butler to sort daily afternoon snacks and received this response I would have had a quiet work with the concierge. I would have politely asked if afternoon snacks were no longer being served in suite and expect the concierge to ask what we wanted….

I do think sometimes communication can get tangled in situations like this, however. For example, a few years ago when they started serving afternoon tea in Michael’s/Retreat and stopped the cart we told our butler we didn’t want the afternoon delivery of ‘daily delights’ we simply wanted a small afternoon tea selection. Our butler did try to dissuade us saying afternoon tea was now in the lounge. Trying not to criticise the butler, simply the change in service, we discussed it with the concierge and we received our afternoon tea selection and have every cruise since.

Making reasonable requests, giving the butler time to arrange has always been our guideline.

• Thanks 1

Since cruising resumed we have been directed to the lounge for afternoon snacks. We were in a PH twice and most recently a RS. We didn't push it because we felt we had enough food during the day. If we did want something and the butler declined, we would have quiet word with the concierge.  In both our PH sailings the butler did offer to have a special dinner prepared for us and served in our suite. We took him up on one offer and had an excellent Indonesian meal.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:43 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Personally I would feel like I were paying a bribe if tipping in advance. 

LOL--- " Tipping in advance "

There's a great topic for discussion--- I'll bet it would receive as many pages as "Who's on board our cruise in 2025 "? On second thought, probably not. But for sure, more pages than " Ain't it fun looking for ducks " ?

Also, I have been accused of bribing a Maitre'd when he/she got us a reservation when it appeared there was nothing available. To me it is saying " Thanks " , and a very good " investment " for next time.

That's how it works up here.

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Since cruising resumed we have been directed to the lounge for afternoon snacks. We were in a PH twice and most recently a RS. We didn't push it because we felt we had enough food during the day. If we did want something and the butler declined, we would have quiet word with the concierge.  In both our PH sailings the butler did offer to have a special dinner prepared for us and served in our suite. We took him up on one offer and had an excellent Indonesian meal.

So were you offered nothing?  Previously if we haven’t had a discussion a selection has arrived at 4pm…(PH and RS)

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

So were you offered nothing?  Previously if we haven’t had a discussion a selection has arrived at 4pm…(PH and RS)

No, the butlers on all 3 cruises, (Edge, Silhouette and Reflection) mentioned the afternoon tea in the retreat and did not offer to, or bring us an afternoon snack. As I said, we really didn't want or need anything to eat so didn't request it. Otherwise everything we expected from a butler was delivered.  We did have a party both times in the PH and had a lovely set up provided by the butlers.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

On 6/5/2023 at 12:17 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

No, the butlers on all 3 cruises, (Edge, Silhouette and Reflection) mentioned the afternoon tea in the retreat and did not offer to, or bring us an afternoon snack. As I said, we really didn't want or need anything to eat so didn't request it. Otherwise everything we expected from a butler was delivered.  We did have a party both times in the PH and had a lovely set up provided by the butlers.

I have a written list (yup still do paper and ink 🙂 ) of my "wishes" for the Butler when we board.  I simply omit the phrase "afternoon tea" or anything similar and quietly say, without drama,  "here's my list of what DH and I would like about 3:30/4/4:30 pm, every afternoon; if we aren't in the room, please leave it on the table".  I have not had a problem.  (A couple of times, the Butler has informed us that afternoon tea is served in the Retreat, but I ignore the comment and ascertain that my writing on my list is legible LOL 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Retreat room attendants and butlers are exceptional.

I just received an email from shoreside concierge for my late August itinerary in the Mediterranean. 

I am asked a laundry list of questions on what I want and when.

I suspect Celebrity may have had my background from prior (and initial) cruise earlier this year in Caribbean, same ship.

Our room staff then was superb. I had requested from shoreside different champagnes for dinners, and all were correct and perfectly chilled each night. Breakfast perfectly assembled in stateroom each day, even debarkation day, with cappuccinos.

My suits and shirts, plus a few items from my S.O. needed some touch up from travel in suitcases, and were taken post haste nearly upon arrival to stateroom and pressed then returned before dinner night one.

All our spa reservations and specialty dining reservations made with shoreside were verified by butler on embarkation day and we had great tables/servers every time (Fine Cut not to our liking. It was OK. Le Voyage, twice, excellent decision, as was Eden, Raw on 5 and, oddly, LPC).

Our butler found us on the ship at various times to see if anything needed.

Very good service and the ship is really nice.

Just my opinion from my experience, but Celebrity has nailed it with the Retreat.*

*no disrespect or offense intended toward anyone who feels Celebrity has gone downhill, degraded, a shadow of its former self, or who feels they dislike Celebrity in any other way. This is but one opinion in answer to an inquiry.

Peace to all, especially to those staff and crew who serve others.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

We have sailed in suites numerous times and we have used the butler to assist us in planning excursions, answers to questions we had about the cruise and we enjoy a night cap so they would have fresh Baileys Irish Cream everyday.

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I also believe there is a huge difference in the service you get from a butler based on what level of suite you have.

Based upon reports here in CC, that would appear accurate.

5 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I also believe there is a huge difference in the service you get from a butler based on what level of suite you have.

I actually disagree.  The butler we had for a Sky Suite in November on Infinity (Walter!) was better than any other butler we've ever had in several Celebrity Suites!  I really just think it's how good a butler is.  

Edited by Beachlover1989
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
20 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I actually disagree.  The butler we had for a Sky Suite in November on Infinity (Walter!) was better than any other butler we've ever had in several Celebrity Suites!  I really just think it's how good a butler is.  

It's nice to read of reports that depict good experiences.

6 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

We had a great butler( Ellie) in a Sky Suite last September on Reflection.  She brought my ice tray, and my half and half every morning.  She brought us desserts from Luminae.  That was all we asked of her. She refilled beverages, in room ice/water without us asking.   We tipped her well. 

On 6/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, TeachAloha said:

Wait,,,, What? I worked in high-end hospitality and thought I had gotten every request this is a new one!  How does this work? You travel internationally with an ice tray in your luggage & ask them to find room in the commercial freezers for your tray and to schlep all the way to the commercial kitchen for ice from your tray?

I sure did.  I tipped him very well.  I also tipped the room attendant and his assistant.  

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I sure did.  I tipped him very well.  I also tipped the room attendant and his assistant.  

It's always a nice gesture to compliment (financially and otherwise) the staff and crew who take care of us.

I'm going to be on the Millennium in a month, so there are only 2 penthouse suites, 8 royal suites, 8 celebrity suites and 32 sky suites. With only 50 suites total, I hope that the butlers don't discriminate against the "lesser" passengers in sky suites such as myself. 

I looked for comparison and the Apex has 2 iconic suites, 6 edge villas, 2 penthouse suites, 4 royal suites, 16 celebrity suites and 146 sky suites.

Edited by Sigyn

On 6/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Your host is very helpful if you are entertaining in the Suite and will setup your room with Glasses, Plates etc as well as nibbles.    When in upper suites we have had parties with as many as 50 guests and was handled with no problem.   He even answered the door and invited new arrivals in.   The beauty is after the party you just go to dinner and when you return your suite is cleaned and back in perfect condign.    

What I need to know is - how do I get invited to one of those parties?

• Haha 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
26 minutes ago, ladyjade3 said:

Respect toward anyone who wants to open the space they own during a cruise to anyone else.

For ourselves, my S.O. and I convene on vacations as a respite from the world, and in the case of Celebrity,  book the Retreat (as a "retreat") with our stateroom as our sanctuary.

In fact, we pretty much only leave for dining at specialties, shore excursions, spa treatments, or occasional walks around the ship.

Love the quietness. Never intentionally near crowds. Celebrity has done well with their offerings.

*no offense, rage, anger, or harm intended with my opinion. It's just one opinion. 

Peace and good will to all

Edited by 4-2-N-8

1 hour ago, ladyjade3 said:

It was a very close Roll Call.   Everyone was really close and we all got to know each other really well in advance.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Concur with your statement micruiser2002 .  Since 2007, DH & I have sailed only in suites in 28 cruises on X:  CS, RS and PS.  The prices are/have been dramatically different and the resulting Butler service has been commensurate.

• Like 2

It's hard to remember the service we had when we started sailing in suites, except for our butler Boris in our first sky suite in 2011. We have gradually moved up in suite levels to the point that we sail in RS or PH but I can say we have rarely been disappointed in the service with one exception.  It wasn't that the service was bad, it was just a job. But, we have observed that the higher the suite level the more attentive the butler is.

• Like 2