RCCL Staff did not recognize Virginia Enhanced Drivers License

Embarkation day was OK, aside from confusion with Royal Staff over my Enhanced Drivers License from Virginia.

Virginia's REAL ID is different from the regular drivers license because they have a STAR within a circle on it.  The Royal Staffer insisted it had to have the word "ENHANCED" on it to be valid.

This was out of Cape Liberty NJ, last week boarding Adventure of the Seas, 31 May thru 4 June to Halifax, NS.

Luckily, I also had my passport!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#real_id.asp

Edited by BillHoo
  • Haha 1

Perhaps they, like you, are unaware that "enhanced" and "real" ID's are two different ID's.  Real ID's have extra verification steps, whereas the enhanced ID's also verify citizenship.  I don't believe the enhanced ID's have the star, real ID's do.

• Like 5

Enhanced licenses cannot be used as a replacement for a passport except crossing at land borders.  Real ID and enhanced licenses are different programs.

For a closed loop cruise you would still need a birth certificate. Real ID isn't required for flights until May 2023.  Were you trying to board with your Real ID without a BC?

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Enhanced licenses cannot be used as a replacement for a passport except crossing at land borders.  Real ID and enhanced licenses are different programs.

For a closed loop cruise you would still need a birth certificate. Real ID isn't required for flights until May 2023.  Were you trying to board with your Real ID without a BC?

For US citizens, you can use any WTHI or trusted travel documents, which includes “enhanced” driver’s licenses.

HOWEVER, only five states have what are considered enhanced driver’s licenses: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can use an Enhanced License for a closed loop cruise. However the OP doesn't have an Enhanced License

• Like 2

Yes.  Until now, I had not realized there are two different kinds of "extra" ID.

Virginia has been pushing hard for their REAL ID as a passport alternative. Most of the validating documents are citizenship related.

Did not know there was an ENHANCED ID out there.  So when I did the check in and and it asked what ID I would use, I selected Enhanced Drivers License assuming that is what I had.  Though I had my passport handy, it's easier for me to just flash my drivers license.

The REAL ID is the only enhanced option for getting on a plane offered by Virginia and is accepted in all 50 states.  So I assumed that to be the Enhanced ID.

They should make the clarification on the registration.  Do they care that 1/50th of their passengers may not have the appropriate ID?

Edited by BillHoo

5 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

For US citizens, you can use any WTHI or trusted travel documents, which includes “enhanced” driver’s licenses.

HOWEVER, only five states have what are considered enhanced driver’s licenses: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Virginia. 

Real ID is not the same as an enhanced license. OP has Real ID not the enhanced license program. Also,  I think you are mistaken,  Virginia does not offer an enhanced license, at least according to Wikipedia they don't.

Real ID has no border crossing privilege. 

I have licenses in both BC Canada, and CA USA.  My BC license is an enhanced. My CA license is Real ID. I'm pretty familiar with both programs.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

HOWEVER, only five states have what are considered enhanced driver’s licenses: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Virginia. 

I've search and Virginia only offers REAL ID which, as I found out, is not considered an Enahance Drivers License with their definition.

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

Real ID is not the same as an enhanced license. OP has Real ID not the enhanced license program. Also,  I think you are mistaken,  Virginia does not offer an enhanced license, at least according to Wikipedia they don't.

Real ID has no border crossing privilege. 

I have licenses in both BC Canada, and CA USA.  My BC license is an enhanced. My CA license is Real ID. I'm pretty familiar with both programs.  

I totally didn’t mean VA—I meant Washington haha

4 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

You can use an Enhanced License for a closed loop cruise. However the OP doesn't have an Enhanced License

You are right, I meant to write Real ID can't be used for a closed loop cruise.  Not without an BC anyways.  I just just mistyped.  Mea cupla

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

Virginia does not offer Enhanced Licenses. Only Michigan, Minnesota, NY, Vermont and Washington

I checked in my wife, online with her passport info.

Although I had my passport, I figured "Oh Cool!  I can use the REAL ID instead!"  Not knowing Enhanced was something else.

Pity other travelers who may not have had any other forms of ID.

35 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Perhaps they, like you, are unaware that "enhanced" and "real" ID's are two different ID's.  Real ID's have extra verification steps, whereas the enhanced ID's also verify citizenship.  I don't believe the enhanced ID's have the star, real ID's do.

Agree. Mine was opposite. Had Michigan Enhanced for 10yrs Said ENHANCED but no Star. Used it for my Open Circuit Repo Cruises. 18 Months ago went and got Both on them. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

They should make the clarification on the registration.  Do they care that 1/50th of their passengers may not have the appropriate ID?

Why?  Is it too much to expect you to know what kind of ID you have?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Why?  Is it too much to expect you to know what kind of ID you have?

Because the State of Virginia tells me REAL ID is the alternative to the passport and they have no other alternatives.

Look up "Enhanced Drivers License Virginia" and you get Virginia DMV REAL ID.

Edited by BillHoo

2 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Because the State of Virginia tells me REAL ID is the alternative to the passport and they have no other alternatives.

Look up "Enhanced Drivers License Virginia" and you get Virginia DMV REAL ID.

Virginia says that you can use REAL ID in place of a passport?

From the Virginia DMV, their text implies REAL ID is an alternative to a passport.

"If you do not get a REAL ID, you must have an alternate form of federally accepted identification (valid U. S. passport, U.S. Department of Defense ID, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), etc.) to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility beginning May 3, 2023. "

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BillHoo said:

From the Virginia DMV, their text implies REAL ID is an alternative to a passport.

"If you do not get a REAL ID, you must have an alternate form of federally accepted identification (valid U. S. passport, U.S. Department of Defense ID, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), etc.) to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility beginning May 3, 2023. "

It does not say anything about it being valid for a cruise.  It does not imply that it is an alternative to a passport either, you are reading more into it than is there.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

All that mentions is being able to board a domestic flight. No mention of cruises or being an alternative to a passport. 

• Like 4