ArriveCan

Topdog52

My concern is getting the ArriveCan receipt when one can't enter the arrival dates until a couple of days prior to embarkation. The COVID test timing is also pretty tight. Will we get our results in time? Both of these issues make me nervous. Will I get my results from the testing done on Friday before we board on Sunday (July 31st voyage). Why are fully vaxed and boosted people not getting the dispensation for testing. $260 to get a test we should be able to do ourselves for free? We weren't informed of the testing until it was too late to cancel to get a refund.

Also, how do you review your ArriveCan information if you can't enter the embarkation date until we're actually on the voyage? The ship doesn't dock at Victoria until the 7th day, yet we're supposed to have a receipt for embarkation. On July 31st, we still won't be able to enter the date for the Victoria docking.

What a Catch 22! Enter a date to get the receipt, but you can't enter the date, until after you have to have the receipt to embark. If they do let us board without the precious receipt, will we even be able to finish the app info when we're at sea? 

This has definitely been the most stressed I've ever been preparing for a cruise. 

Any tricks or tips to get these things done? Am I misunderstanding the ridiculously tight timing for both ArriveCan and Covid testing?

@IMNOFUN Testing information does not need to be entered into the ArriveCAN app and is not required for entry into Canada if vaccinated. Also, there are a variety of proctored at-home tests that are much less expensive than what you're paying. For 6 of us, we paid $150 plus shipping and do it through a video call. There's also a new proctoring service that allows you to use your own tests and will certify the results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IMNOFUN said:

My concern is getting the ArriveCan receipt when one can't enter the arrival dates until a couple of days prior to embarkation. The COVID test timing is also pretty tight. Will we get our results in time? Both of these issues make me nervous. Will I get my results from the testing done on Friday before we board on Sunday (July 31st voyage). Why are fully vaxed and boosted people not getting the dispensation for testing. $260 to get a test we should be able to do ourselves for free? We weren't informed of the testing until it was too late to cancel to get a refund.

Also, how do you review your ArriveCan information if you can't enter the embarkation date until we're actually on the voyage? The ship doesn't dock at Victoria until the 7th day, yet we're supposed to have a receipt for embarkation. On July 31st, we still won't be able to enter the date for the Victoria docking.

What a Catch 22! Enter a date to get the receipt, but you can't enter the date, until after you have to have the receipt to embark. If they do let us board without the precious receipt, will we even be able to finish the app info when we're at sea? 

This has definitely been the most stressed I've ever been preparing for a cruise. 

Any tricks or tips to get these things done? Am I misunderstanding the ridiculously tight timing for both ArriveCan and Covid testing?

Yes, you are misunderstanding.  The ArriveCan application can't be completed (technically) until 72 hours before you embark on the cruise - it's not 72 hours from when you enter Canada.  And you can enter your information in advance (vaccination info) prior to that, then just update.  Some people have also been able to complete the application earlier than 72 hours.

Not sure you where the $260 cost you are quoting comes from.  You can get tested at Walgreens for free and get your results in a few hours, sometimes sooner.  You can make an appointment a week in advance, get the rapid test, not the PCR.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, IMNOFUN said:

My concern is getting the ArriveCan receipt when one can't enter the arrival dates until a couple of days prior to embarkation. The COVID test timing is also pretty tight.

As others have stated, download the app -- or go to the website -- and create the account NOW.  It will ask you for passport info and to upload a copy of your vax card.  That's the hard part (and it isn't terribly difficult.)  Once that's done, you can answer the questions in the taxi on the way to the port, if you wish.  But do it the night before anyway.

COVID testing is tight if you're getting a standard PCR.  So don't:  Get an Antigen test instead.  Better still, a telehealth Antigen test.  NCL even recommends one on the website.  Personally, I'm using Onpoint Testing because it's cheaper and they give you a choice of tests (BYOT.)  I find the iHealth test a bit more user friendly than the Binax that's just a matter of preference.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, julig22 said:

Yes, you are misunderstanding.  The ArriveCan application can't be completed (technically) until 72 hours before you embark on the cruise - it's not 72 hours from when you enter Canada.  And you can enter your information in advance (vaccination info) prior to that, then just update.  Some people have also been able to complete the application earlier than 72 hours.

Not sure you where the $260 cost you are quoting comes from.  You can get tested at Walgreens for free and get your results in a few hours, sometimes sooner.  You can make an appointment a week in advance, get the rapid test, not the PCR.

Thanks for the clarification. The $260 comes from an official Covid Testing site in our town. We'll definitely try to get a Walgreen's appt.

We have filled out the ArriveCan and downloaded the app. I was confused about when the arrival info was needed. If we can enter it just before boarding, that's great!

These boards are life-savers again. Thanks to everyone who has the answers. I'm going a little whacko on this because it's a family group and my family always looks at me when stuff needs arranging. They count on me too damned much. That's what I get for being reliable and the answerer of all questions for the past 50 years or so. I think my reign as Queen of the family should end. Both I and Liz II need to abdicate.

4 minutes ago, IMNOFUN said:

Thanks for the clarification. The $260 comes from an official Covid Testing site in our town. We'll definitely try to get a Walgreen's appt.

Just a fyi - the Walgreens site doesn't currently show any appointments past 6/30.  I contacted them and was assured that the program hasn't been discontinued, it's just because of the July 4th holiday and they only book 1 week out. Hopefully that's correct- I'm flying out a week from Saturday!  Otherwise that testing site might be where you have to go, unless you do a video test.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, IMNOFUN said:

Let's make this simple. On Thursday 7/28 (3 days prior to your cruise), the ArriveCAN app will allow you to fill in the final bits and generate a final QR code. It's only asking about your arrival date in Canada and which port. 

wrt testing, we have used the NCL-recommended eMed home test. Fast. Easy. Done at the kitchen table while sipping our morning coffee. You get your results emailed within a few seconds of showing the proctor your negative results. We order the kits, submit an insurance claim with the receipts for the kits with our medical insurance provider, and our insurance pays 100% of the cost of the kits. So, for us, it is free.  

I am also on the 7/31 Encore sailing and have some confusion regarding ArriveCAN. When we are docked in Skagway, we are going to rent a car and drive up into Canada. Thus, I will be arriving in Canada 3 days prior to our scheduled stop in Victoria. Do I need to have separate ArriveCAN submissions to account for this? I'm not sure if doing it within 3 days of our cruise embarkation on 7/31 will suffice for us to arrive in Canada on 8/3.

I was on the Bliss June 18 to 25 sailing from Seattle.  Anyone who had not filled in the ArriveCAN was not allowed to board until they did it.  There were many, many people sent off to the side to do just that.  There was another group of people who didn't know NCL requires a negative covid test to board.  More delays for them while they had to get tested (and pay for it).  I shook my head and wondered if anyone ever reads the emails NCL sends explaining the requirements.  My husband and I breezed through.  The staff who checked us in appreciated having all the QR codes printed out so they could scan them quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gvgseg said:

When we are docked in Skagway, we are going to rent a car and drive up into Canada.

When you fill out the ArriveCan form, you specify which point of entry (airport/port/land border) you'll be crossing so I would assume that yes you'll need a separate ArriveCan for that day.  

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What did they scan other than the eDocs?

In addition to the eDocs, they scanned the QR code from our proof of vaccination.  We also showed the paper copy of our covid test result.  All of these are on our phones but it was so much easier to have everything on paper.  Sometimes old school is faster.

17 minutes ago, littlegit said:

In addition to the eDocs, they scanned the QR code from our proof of vaccination.  We also showed the paper copy of our covid test result.  All of these are on our phones but it was so much easier to have everything on paper.  Sometimes old school is faster.

Thanks.  I didn't notice that you were from Canada.

23 hours ago, IMNOFUN said:

We have filled out the ArriveCan and downloaded the app. I was confused about when the arrival info was needed. If we can enter it just before boarding, that's great!

These boards are life-savers again. Thanks to everyone who has the answers. I'm going a little whacko on this because it's a family group and my family always looks at me when stuff needs arranging. They count on me too damned much. That's what I get for being reliable and the answerer of all questions for the past 50 years or so. I think my reign as Queen of the family should end. Both I and Liz II need to abdicate.

If you can’t get Walgreens, try Azova.  They’ll teleproctor either your free govt tests or home ones you’ve bought at a pharmacy.  https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

• 1 month later...