B2B Europe/Transatlantic Vacation Protection

ashkir

My partner and I found a cruise from Europe to North America next year that we're highly considering. We like the price range, and, we can easily pay for it before the deadline of next year to pay for it. When looking around, we saw people post about B2B and we found that right before our trip to North America, there's one that goes around the Greek Islands and several others. This will give us 2 cruises, one of 10 days and one of 15 days back to back. Plenty of cabins are available, and, we can have the same balcony cabin both ways!

Neither of us have been in Europe and we feel this is a great way for us to explore. Especially, since a lot of these stops are extremely established cities. 

We're making a goal to enjoy life, even though we're only 29 and 32 years old.  I had a heart transplant and I decided I want to see the world. I spent my entire life in a hospital, so I'm ready to explore and see more. 

For this type of trip, we're thinking of adding the vacation protection because it is so far out -- and my medical issues (heart transplant). Has anyone had experience with Carnival's Vacation Protection? Should we be using Carnival's or should we be using a third party company for it? To cover the cruise, it will be $258 per cruise for us both totaling $516.

3 minutes ago, ashkir said:

My partner and I found a cruise from Europe to North America next year that we're highly considering. We like the price range, and, we can easily pay for it before the deadline of next year to pay for it. When looking around, we saw people post about B2B and we found that right before our trip to North America, there's one that goes around the Greek Islands and several others. This will give us 2 cruises, one of 10 days and one of 15 days back to back. Plenty of cabins are available, and, we can have the same balcony cabin both ways!

Neither of us have been in Europe and we feel this is a great way for us to explore. Especially, since a lot of these stops are extremely established cities. 

We're making a goal to enjoy life, even though we're only 29 and 32 years old.  I had a heart transplant and I decided I want to see the world. I spent my entire life in a hospital, so I'm ready to explore and see more. 

For this type of trip, we're thinking of adding the vacation protection because it is so far out -- and my medical issues (heart transplant). Has anyone had experience with Carnival's Vacation Protection? Should we be using Carnival's or should we be using a third party company for it? To cover the cruise, it will be $258 per cruise for us both totaling $516.

Google “Allianz” - we do a yearly plan with them although you can do a set period of time but you may even find the yearly quote to be better. Have done a lot of research and price is good and reviews are good. 
We are doing a B2B October 2023, first leg 10 nights embarking in Rome with great ports and then 15 night TA from Rome to Tampa. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Google “Allianz” - we do a yearly plan with them although you can do a set period of time but you may even find the yearly quote to be better. Have done a lot of research and price is good and reviews are good. 
We are doing a B2B October 2023, first leg 10 nights embarking in Rome with great ports and then 15 night TA from Rome to Tampa. 

Thank you! That's the EXACT trip that we want to do! 10 days Rome to Rome with the Greek Isles visit, then 15 nights to Tampa! We got a rate we're comfortable with for balcony, and our PVP said we can book now because the early saver has price protection. 

13 minutes ago, ashkir said:

Thank you! That's the EXACT trip that we want to do! 10 days Rome to Rome with the Greek Isles visit, then 15 nights to Tampa! We got a rate we're comfortable with for balcony, and our PVP said we can book now because the early saver has price protection. 

Interesting, so excited, we think the Ports on the Rome to Rome portion are very exciting. Putting aside extra $ for excursions!

Because I travel with an elderly parent much of the time, I usually get trip insurance that has higher medical and evacuation coverage than is offered by Carnival.  Because the insurance quotes are based on age, I would think outside trip insurance for you  would be pretty affordable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Interesting, so excited, we think the Ports on the Rome to Rome portion are very exciting. Putting aside extra $ for excursions!

it is exciting! Our concern is mostly paying off the trip first, and to enjoy life. I am supposed to graduate with my doctorate in August, so it can be a great celebration trip! Since the Rome to Rome portion has amazing ports, we're not too concern about paying for excursions because these are such greatly established cities/ports we can even do things on our own safely. Definitely will do a Carnival excursion or two but don't know what yet! 

We're both students right now (I'm the one also working FT). So I can have it paid fof before the end of this year to have extra time to plan for excursions 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanvilleCruiser said:

Because I travel with an elderly parent much of the time, I usually get trip insurance that has higher medical and evacuation coverage than is offered by Carnival.  Because the insurance quotes are based on age, I would think outside trip insurance for you  would be pretty affordable.

Who do you use for the outside coverage? I'm interested in that. I'm always afraid I might end up in rejection of my organ in the middle of nowhere and may need to get to a major hospital ASAP 

My family is also doing the same B2B (come join us on the roll calls!) and we purchased a policy from Insure My Trip. I've used them often over the years, although I will likely be switching to an annual plan post-pandemic. 

In general, if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered (which you obviously do), you will need to purchase your insurance within a certain period (often 14 days) of your *initial* trip payment. I recommend shopping for insurance at the same time you're shopping for your cruise, then when you make your initial booking, hop right over and purchase your trip insurance.

• Like 1

You have a pre-existing condition that will require you to buy insurance in close proximity to your initial deposit. You’ll also need a policy with high medical limits.

I’d recommend that you call and talk to Steve Dassoes at Trip Insurance Store. He is a broker who sells policies from several reputable companies. He can help you pick the right coverage as well as assist with a claim if that is necessary.

Carnival insurance will not be adequate.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ashkir said:

Who do you use for the outside coverage? I'm interested in that. I'm always afraid I might end up in rejection of my organ in the middle of nowhere and may need to get to a major hospital ASAP 

If you want the option to be transported to the hospital of your choice, look at MedJet evacuation policies. You have to be admitted to a local hospital first, but they will transfer you as soon as possible.

Be aware that it is a separate supplemental policy that provides only evacuation services. You will also need a comprehensive policy for medical and travel risks such as cancellation, trip interruption, or trip delay.

Any travel policy will also provide for evacuation, but they may not give you a choice. Rather they will send you to the nearest hospital capable of handling your case.

3 hours ago, ashkir said:

You might want to re-consider doing a Transatlantic cruise. For several days you will be out of reach of helicopter evacuation. Perhaps discuss it with your physician.

Cruises in Europe would be fine as you are never far from land.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maryann2 said:

You might want to re-consider doing a Transatlantic cruise. For several days you will be out of reach of helicopter evacuation. Perhaps discuss it with your physician.

Cruises in Europe would be fine as you are never far from land.

For sure, I'm going to bring a list of hospitals to the transplant center and let them know my plans. Likely will be okay. There's a few areas of the world I do have to avoid, most of them are in the Carribean and Pacific Islands. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You should at least consider GeoBlue Voyager Choice for medical coverage regardless of any other insurance.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/single-trip/voyager-compare-plans-single.cfm

We had geoblue coverage for a trip to Aruba in 2020.  I was in a bike accident and broke my collarbone.   Geoblue gave excellent customer service .  We contacted them the day of the accident and started the process.   I waited until we returned home to file the claim and everything was handled efficiently.   Total bill came to $1700.  Geoblue paid with no hassle.  Just from our experience,  we would highly recommend.  

• Like 2