Onboard cost on Viking Ocean

BobCatter

2 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

So...bloody Marys.

Only if you order in the tomato juice ahead of time. Typically upon boarding you will have one can each of Coke, Diet Coke, Spite, and Tonic. Along with mini bottles of gin, vodka, whisky, and ? Along with a bottle of champagne. We usually ask for the cans to be replaced with two Coke zeros and tonic. And since we don’t usually book higher than a DV we don’t have to worry about the liquor. 

When we don’t have the SS we usually purchase a bottle of duty free gin before boarding and I ask a bartender for a doubles glass full of limes. Et Voila-I’m ready to go.  I’m sure you could ask for tomato juice the night before if you MUST have a bloody first thing in the morning 😂🍷

• Like 1

I imagine that Clay, being from NC, is one of many who do not consider Scotch to be whiskey. Picture some poor kid from Indonesia showing the mini bar to a guy from Tennessee or Kentucky and pointing out the "whiskey."

8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I imagine that Clay, being from NC, is one of many who do not consider Scotch to be whiskey. Picture some poor kid from Indonesia showing the mini bar to a guy from Tennessee or Kentucky and pointing out the "whiskey."

Oh ye of little faith. I met Lord and Lady McGrath aboard Viking on our first cruise and after a stay at their manor in Scotland I was taught about whisky. And having visited Kentucky I learned that the Tennessee stuff is not bourbon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh ye of little faith. I met Lord and Lady McGrath aboard Viking on our first cruise and after a stay at their manor in Scotland I was taught about whisky. And having visited Kentucky I learned that the Tennessee stuff is not bourbon. 

It actually is bourbon, by definition, or very close to it. They just don't like to call it that. The only thing that differentiates Jack Daniel's, for instance, from Kentucky Bourbon is the charcoal filtering. You can get arguments but if it meets the standards for mash bill and proof it's bourbon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

It actually is bourbon, by definition, or very close to it. They just don't like to call it that. The only thing that differentiates Jack Daniel's, for instance, from Kentucky Bourbon is the charcoal filtering. You can get arguments but if it meets the standards for mash bill and proof it's bourbon.

The standards include being aged in new oak barrells. Note that the Scots put a great deal of their whisky in used bourbon barrells acquired from guess who.

• Like 3

Hi there!  Viking newbie here. 

I have looked on the Viking website, but can't seem to find the answer to a few questions - i am hoping you guys can help?

We are in a DV1 cabin.  Is our minibar included (free)?  Will it be replenished daily?  DH loves the Dewars, so if that is in ours, he will be happy.  

Someone also mentioned that if you are not a spirits drinker (me), you could get wine?  Is that true?  Is it the mini bottles?  

Thank you!!!

Sorry!  Thought of another question.  Online they have a "sample menu" of what is included in the SSP, but it does not list wine other than the "house" wines (and then does not say the brand).  Anyone know of a place to find this?  Trying to decide if the SSP is worth it for us or not.  We have a port intensive cruise, so may not have time to drink much other than mealtimes or after dinner.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, hmcrn said:

I have looked on the Viking website, but can't seem to find the answer to a few questions - i am hoping you guys can help?

We are in a DV1 cabin.  Is our minibar included (free)?  Will it be replenished daily?  DH loves the Dewars, so if that is in ours, he will be happy.  

Someone also mentioned that if you are not a spirits drinker (me), you could get wine?  Is that true?  Is it the mini bottles?  

Thank you!!!

Welcome!

DV1 minibar is included, but your alcohol will not be replenished daily. I believe that’s just for PV rooms and up. 

The mini whisky bottles on our cruise were Dewar’s.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Clay, they stocked V-8 for our Bloody Marys.  We are health freaks don't you know....🥃

Last night we had gin and tonics made with muddled strawberries and mint. We decided to chalk them up to our servings of fruit for the day. 🍓

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Last night we had gin and tonics made with muddled strawberries and mint. We decided to chalk them up to our servings of fruit for the day. 🍓

Vitamin C in there somewhere...🍹

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Gin and Tonics are actually medicine. Tonic has quinine (anti-malarial) and gin has Vitamin C (anti-scurvy). Drink up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Welcome!

DV1 minibar is included, but your alcohol will not be replenished daily. I believe that’s just for PV rooms and up. 

The mini whisky bottles on our cruise were Dewar’s.

You don’t get alcohol in a DV but the soft drinks and snacks are replenished daily. The Vs have soft drinks and snacks but not replenished daily.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

You don’t get alcohol in a DV but the soft drinks and snacks are replenished daily. The Vs have soft drinks and snacks but not replenished daily.

Haha, you get booze (big bottles) in a DV as long as you book a World Cruise.  Think of the money you could save...🥃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, you get booze (big bottles) in a DV as long as you book a World Cruise.  Think of the money you could save...🥃

Well, yes, there’s that. Don’t know how I could forget with the numerous threads that you and Heidi have reminded us of your predelictions! 🍺🍷🍹🥂🍾🍻🥃🧉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, LindaS272 said:

Well, yes, there’s that. Don’t know how I could forget with the numerous threads that you and Heidi have reminded us of your predelictions! 🍺🍷🍹🥂🍾🍻🥃🧉

Just trying to help fellow cruisers save money....😎

4 hours ago, hmcrn said:

Thank you!!!

I'm not a Viking newbie and I still have trouble finding stuff on the Viking website. I call them "Viking's Best Kept Secrets."

A lot of information hides on MVJ (My Viking Journey, the Viking Guest portal; you can't access it unless you have a cruise on the books). If you haven't set up your MVJ account yet, you should before it is time time to book shorex (even included tours have to be reserved on MVJ). https://www.myvikingjourney.com/home/welcome/

Want to know more about your cabin?  Look under SHIPS. Choose any one (they are all the same when it comes to cabins) and scroll down. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star.html

Want to learn about what tours might be offered on your cruise. It is on the Itinerary page for which ever cruise you are looking at. Scroll down to the day by day section, click where it says "read more"   on any Day except Day 1 and you will see what's on off. Click on any tour you are interested in to read the full description -- but no prices or departure times are given here; that will be on MVJ when it comes time to book.

Find a link to the FAQ in the footer of either any Viking Oceans page on the website or on MVJ. Lots of information buried there.

Minibar in DV cabins come with complimentary daily replenishment but, as mentioned in an earlier post, they are not stock with any alcoholic beverages, not even if you have the drinks package.  The drinks package does not cover the minibar. But, if your thought is to enjoy a refreshing drink on your balcony,  room service delivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, duquephart said:

More detail on above.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/