spa - massage and a sales pitch?

suec12

I rarely go to a spa or get a massage. On a recent HAL sailing I decided to treat myself to a massage at their spa. I paid over $100 for what seemed more like a sales pitch for various products than a relaxing experience. I got to hear about my"problem areas" all the ways I was not taking good care of my skin. I did not want to purchase any over priced products but actually felt badly because I thought the lovely young woman might be "graded" on her sales effectiveness. So now I have a nice OBC for an upcoming Azamara cruise but do not want a repeat of the HAL massage. Does a massage on Azamara come with an extended sales pitch? Thanks

• Like 1

Just had a massage on the Pursuit. They could have had a field day with me because right before the cruise I had a reaction to the sun due to a new medication I'm taking. So, I had blotches on my legs. I told them I'm not interested in any products and just wanted a relaxing massage, mainly working on my back and shoulders and that is exactly what I got. They were great, no pressure at all, just tell them straight up that you aren't interested in the products.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, uktog said:

There is indeed a sales pitch. Best to say before the start, you are not interested in any sales pitch as you will not be buying 

That's the way I do it. Just make sure to say something at the beginning and they will respect that and not try to sell you extras. I've still got a pair of (expensive) footwear inserts that I never use from one cruise where I took my eye off the ball😄

Phil 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's the way I do it. Just make sure to say something at the beginning and they will respect that and not try to sell you extras. I've still got a pair of (expensive) footwear inserts that I never use from one cruise where I took my eye off the ball😄

Phil 

I can see why that brought you to heel Phil! 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree the sales pitch in the salon or spa is too much.  I don't see anything wrong with saying that you are not interested in making any purchases.

The salon and spa is a concession operated by Steiner.  Steiner is on many cruise lines and their employees receive a commission on the sale of products.   

Recently had a massage on the 5-26 cruise on Journey.  The massage was very good, better than most I had on cruises and, when I said I wasn't interested in any products, there was no further sales pitch.  It was an enjoyable experience.

Jay

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, uktog said:

There is indeed a sales pitch. Best to say before the start, you are not interested in any sales pitch as you will not be buying 

Or, say nothing at the outset and just say no thank you when you get the pitch. 

44 minutes ago, Jim in OR said:

I think it's much harder then, because they have launched into the memorized script.  Better to cut it off at the pass.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Jim in OR said:

Trouble is entering into that debate at the end of a treatment spoils the experience.  You can’t fully relax because you know what’s coming!  As Jazzbeau says better to deal with it up front.  

Unfortunately some therapists still try - one went down the line “I know you said but I must point out”…alleging a skin condition which was not true.  Based on that I asked in front of her manager to remove the 18% surcharge.  I had a discussion with the manager why and as I knew her from previous cruises was able to explain the “ listening skills training need” her staff member had. I then took the line of ok people make mistakes, leave the surcharge on, but I will not book more this cruise. The manager fully understood why. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

Trouble is entering into that debate at the end of a treatment spoils the experience.  You can’t fully relax because you know what’s coming!  As Jazzbeau says better to deal with it up front. 

Yes and that's what it's all about and the concern of the op. Why wait for the pitch if you know it's coming?  Set the scene at the start so they don't even need to go there. It's never a straightforward upsell attempt either. Starts with observations and leads on to more. There is absolutely no reason you can't say something at the beginning. Simple. Not rude. Mission accomplished. 

Phil 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, avalong said:

I'm a believer in handling this upfront, but then I wonder if I'm going to get as good a massage. Can't win.

Absolutely not an issue. They are professional and want to get good reviews, regardless of whether or not they manage to upsell.   

Phil 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...