Name issue on United flight preventing checkin

Our Fly2Fun plane tickets list our names on the United Flight as Firstnamemrs Lastname and Firstnamemr Lastname. When we tried to check in 24 hours before the flight, the names don’t match our passports, so we can’t check in. Our call to United referred us to our travel agent. I guess they could tell who made the reservation. Our call to Carnival Travel Services resulted in them taking our number and saying they’d call with an answer. My DH says it’s a mapping issue. I’m worried about our flight.

My fly2fun did the same thing in May. But I had no problems checking in at the airport. This was on American though. Tsa had no problem as well. You may just have to check in at the airport. 

• Like 1

Turns out that that's EXACTLY how United WANTS the names to appear. They just want to check your passport. I don't know why they didn't just say that. It would have saved hours on the phone and a lot of worry. Maybe my thread will help someone. We didn't have any problem checking in, because that is how the names were supposed to be written. (We had another problem, but checking in was not a problem. Our flight was delayed so we couldn't go on our cruise. Mechanical.)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 6:18 PM, let's go cruising said:

Our flight was delayed so we couldn't go on our cruise. Mechanical.)

I have to admit I don't know how fly2fun works but hearing that you missed a cruise cause of a mechanical delay makes me want to not use it. 

Sorry you missed your cruise. I obsess over the details when I travel and try to build in time for potential problems. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 6:18 PM, let's go cruising said:

Turns out that that's EXACTLY how United WANTS the names to appear. They just want to check your passport. I don't know why they didn't just say that. It would have saved hours on the phone and a lot of worry. Maybe my thread will help someone. We didn't have any problem checking in, because that is how the names were supposed to be written. (We had another problem, but checking in was not a problem. Our flight was delayed so we couldn't go on our cruise. Mechanical.)

I thought Fly2Fun guaranteed that they would get you on the ship? 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I thought that was the case too, but on their website it says (bolding done by me):

"All Fly2Fun bookings come with flight protection — free! That means you’re covered in case weather conditions or flight changes delay your arrival to the ship. We’ll make alternate flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements and do everything we can to get you to the cruise port in time to board the ship, at no expense to you. If no viable options are available to get you to the ship before departure at the homeport, you will be given a Future Cruise Credit to use toward an alternate Carnival cruise."

Source: https://www.carnival.com/fly2fun.aspx

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

One of the biggest misunderstandings about Fly2Fun. They guarantee you will get to the ship either on your embarkation day, next port or not at all...🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, knagl said:

I thought that was the case too, but on their website it says (bolding done by me):

"All Fly2Fun bookings come with flight protection — free! That means you’re covered in case weather conditions or flight changes delay your arrival to the ship. We’ll make alternate flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements and do everything we can to get you to the cruise port in time to board the ship, at no expense to you. If no viable options are available to get you to the ship before departure at the homeport, you will be given a Future Cruise Credit to use toward an alternate Carnival cruise."

2 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

One of the biggest misunderstandings about Fly2Fun. They guarantee you will get to the ship either on your embarkation day, next port or not at all...🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

That is so not cool.  

11 hours ago, knagl said:

At 6:45, while the first flight was finishing boarding, the travel rep told us to go home. Don't get on the plane. I asked about the promise of another flight. She said the direct flight had left at 6:40. We were talking to Carnival from 4 - 6:45. There was time to get us on that flight. We were either talking to gatekeepers, or on hold waiting to talk to the next person for the whole time.

44 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Do you have middle names? My ticket says FirstnameMiddlenameMs Lastname

We HAVE them, but they weren't on our ticket. If you can't check in for your flight 24 hours in advance and they say there is a name problem, THERE ISN'T. You will just show your passport and no problem. You don't need to worry about that. 

5 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

At 6:45, while the first flight was finishing boarding, the travel rep told us to go home. Don't get on the plane. I asked about the promise of another flight. She said the direct flight had left at 6:40. We were talking to Carnival from 4 - 6:45. There was time to get us on that flight. We were either talking to gatekeepers, or on hold waiting to talk to the next person for the whole time.

OP that really sucks and I would be pretty pissed off. I think the more ppl you involve in the process the greater the chance that someone drops the ball. 

Again sorry you missed your cruise and thank you for sharing your experience, the lesson certainly won't be lost on me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

There was time to get us on that flight. We were either talking to gatekeepers, or on hold waiting to talk to the next person for the whole time.

How incredibly frustrating. Even if they do give you a future cruise credit, that doesn't make up for any other expenses you had, not to mention any impact of needlessly using time off from work (if applicable), having to make all new plans, etc. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

• Like 1