Questions for recent Iona cruisers

Muckyduckway

First time on P&O, trying to get the lay of the land...

1) Is there a channel on the TV that shows an outside view? Usually, it's the same as the webcam but P&O seem to have abandoned webcams!

2) Do you have copies of the onboard information sheet (Horizons?) you could share? Trying to figure out if I want to book anything, which is difficult when I have no idea of the ship activity schedules 🙂

3) Is there a bar or bars that is better for cocktail drinkers than others? Cocktails you'd recommend that aren't available shipwide?

Thank you.

1) Yes the bridge cam channel which also has the onboard radio but you can turn the sound down if you want

2) I have a weeks worth from two weeks ago but can I post them on here with enough resolution to be able to read them?

3) I would reckon the Crows Nest or maybe Anderson's but not a cocktail drinker so did not check

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

1) Yes the bridge cam channel which also has the onboard radio but you can turn the sound down if you want

2) I have a weeks worth from two weeks ago but can I post them on here with enough resolution to be able to read them?

3) I would reckon the Crows Nest or maybe Anderson's but not a cocktail drinker so did not check

I would say the Anderson's bar for manly gin based cocktails, I believe from memory there were other cocktails in there too.

• Like 1

Good news about the bridge cam - we're doing an inside cabin for the first time, so being able to see outside before going outside is beneficial.

I'd appreciate it if you were able to try posting one to see if it works out - if it's not too much bother 🙂

And thanks.

Any cocktail drinkers out there?🍸

Try this one, keep clicking on it to get the high resolution view. However over 40 images will be needed for the entire cruise, that's over 40 Mb

SAT 21.jpg

Edited by davecttr

That's brilliant - no problem reading it.

Is there a "What's On" summary per day?  On NCL (my most recent cruiseline) one of the pages lists everything that's on that day, irrespective of whether it's a show, a talk or an activity.  If there is, then that's the page I'd be most interested in, if you'd be so kind. 🙂

1 hour ago, Waju said:

I see on the front page 'Dance Anthems with party band Pulse' -  Is dancing allowed yet?

They certainly were last week in The Club House on Iona, as well as the not so 'Silent Disco' in the Atrium.

• Thanks 1

@davecttr Thanks so much, that's really helpful.  I'm guessing here, but the page that starts from 7:30pm, pretty much the same every night, with acts moving around locations? Or is it different every night?  If different every night, then that's the page I'd be most interested in.  If not, then you've provided exactly what's needed.

Thanks again.

A follow on question - I've had a look at the four MDRs and am aware they all serve the same menu.  Apart from the views, is there anything that would make you choose one over the others?  On NCL there are two MDRs on the ships I've been on, and I really dislike the secondary MDR because it's always noisier, the ceilings feel lower and it just seems less welcoming.  I could just go and try them out, but on a seven day cruise there's just not enough time to waste!

TIA

1 hour ago, Muckyduckway said:

@davecttr Thanks so much, that's really helpful.  I'm guessing here, but the page that starts from 7:30pm, pretty much the same every night, with acts moving around locations? Or is it different every night?  If different every night, then that's the page I'd be most interested in.  If not, then you've provided exactly what's needed.

Thanks again.

Pretty much the same although the theatre act changes. Elena Safanova of old Oceana Safrajazz fame only played in the Crows Nest

On 6/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, Muckyduckway said:

A follow on question - I've had a look at the four MDRs and am aware they all serve the same menu.  Apart from the views, is there anything that would make you choose one over the others?  On NCL there are two MDRs on the ships I've been on, and I really dislike the secondary MDR because it's always noisier, the ceilings feel lower and it just seems less welcoming.  I could just go and try them out, but on a seven day cruise there's just not enough time to waste!

TIA

We came off Iona just a week ago. We much preferred the Coral and Pearl MDRs…they were larger, lighter and more airy, and at the back of the ship with more window tables. Aqua and Opal were much smaller and seemed darker…but some folk reckoned more intimate and service better. We had no oroblems with service at all. Our absolute favourite was Pearl on deck 6…. Ask for  a table near the window and at worst you get a double height ceiling table, near the windows.

• Like 1

I go with those who preferred the smaller venues: and Aqua over Opal!  Pearl was suitably glitzy for Celebration night. All the food we had was OK: good value for the price paid! Frankly we chose to use alternative venues a lot and when we go again on Iona (which we will) we may do less MDR.

It is interesting to see that on Arvia the two smaller MDRs have been allocated to additional alternative dining. So perhaps MDRs are proving less popular than P&O estimated.  We like the Quays and it may be that the burger option proved so successful that they now have a bigger American Diner option on Arvia? It isn't all about profit as many of the alternative venues are included or only carry a very small upcharge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to the P&O blurb Aqua becomes the 6th Street Diner, complete with dukebox  and Opal is the Olive Grove. I expect both venues will have a cover charge and you will have to join the virtual queue. Back up on deck 8 The Olive Grove becomes Green & Co featuring Mizhuma. Fish and plant based plus sushi. In the Quays the Boardwalk becomes Roast in the Quays offering roast meats and trimmings in a Yorkshire pudding wrap, how will they stop the gravy leaking out 😵

In the dessert section there will be chocolate flat caps and whippets 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will they be cover charge venues: Olive Grove isn't on Iona.  Nor did we join a virtual queue for Olive Grove:  it could be booked in the app once on board.  As long time Disneyworld guests we are accustomed to booking dining in advance rather than deciding on the day!  In fact we made no use of virtual queues for dining at all. I suppose it depends what you think the concept of freedom dining means?

On 6/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, Froxfield said:

Will they be cover charge venues: Olive Grove isn't on Iona.  Nor did we join a virtual queue for Olive Grove:  it could be booked in the app once on board.  As long time Disneyworld guests we are accustomed to booking dining in advance rather than deciding on the day!  In fact we made no use of virtual queues for dining at all. I suppose it depends what you think the concept of freedom dining means?

Making your mind up at the last minute, surely, otherwise its pre planned and not freedom at all.

• Like 1

Freedom in the sense that the choice is ours whether or not to play the virtual queue game andd to have alternatives to the MDRs.  Whatever, we are quite happy to book ahead: even if only a day or two.   We also dine early.  Certainly we found the current arrangements on Iona satisfactory and we had plenty of choice.  Takes all sorts!