Disembarkation time

keokukjoe

3 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Okay, I know that we have to vacate our suites by 8AM but when do we have to be off the ship? We have a 4:15PM flight out of SJU. It would be wonderful if they let us stay on until noon.

When we arrived in San Juan last December, the ship got in around 2 or 3 am.  They had us out of our rooms at 8 AM I believe.  Then off the ship at 9 AM.  Those who had later Viking Air flights were shown across the street where Viking had a hospitality room at the Sheraton.  People waited there (with snacks, drinks, etc) until their Viking Air transportation time to the airport.  Note - this did not apply to those who did not have Viking Air - they left at 9 AM and were on their own.

You might contact tellus@viking.com   and ask if this is still going to be the case, and/or what will be the process for your specific cruise.

16 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

When we arrived in San Juan last December, the ship got in around 2 or 3 am.  They had us out of our rooms at 8 AM I believe.  Then off the ship at 9 AM.  Those who had later Viking Air flights were shown across the street where Viking had a hospitality room at the Sheraton.  People waited there (with snacks, drinks, etc) until their Viking Air transportation time to the airport.  Note - this did not apply to those who did not have Viking Air - they left at 9 AM and were on their own.

You might contact tellus@viking.com   and ask if this is still going to be the case, and/or what will be the process for your specific cruise.

Thank you. I'll email them.

34 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Thank you. I'll email them.

Joe note the correct email. My mistake.

also, my relatives are all from Keosauqua.  Phil Stong who wrote State Fair is from there was was my Dads cousin.  My cousins now are in Fairfield and Cedar Rapids.

kent Stong

7 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thx!  Darn auto fill!!

I emailed using the address you provided and within an hour a lovely gentleman from Viking guest services called concerning disembarkation in San Juan. The news was wonderful. He said that although we would need to vacate the suite by 8AM , we would not have to disembark until about 2PM which is the time our transfer will take us to the airport for our late afternoon flight! He added that they would hold all our bags for us but that we should keep with us a carry-on with change of clothes and a swimsuit if we'd like. He said that all the amenities of the ship will be open to us (pool, restaurants, bars and a changing room to shower). He also gave me his direct phone extension and email address if we had any other questions. This is our first Viking Ocean trip and I must say that I am mightily impressed with their guest services.

56 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

I emailed using the address you provided and within an hour a lovely gentleman from Viking guest services called concerning disembarkation in San Juan. The news was wonderful. He said that although we would need to vacate the suite by 8AM , we would not have to disembark until about 2PM which is the time our transfer will take us to the airport for our late afternoon flight! He added that they would hold all our bags for us but that we should keep with us a carry-on with change of clothes and a swimsuit if we'd like. He said that all the amenities of the ship will be open to us (pool, restaurants, bars and a changing room to shower). He also gave me his direct phone extension and email address if we had any other questions. This is our first Viking Ocean trip and I must say that I am mightily impressed with their guest services.

Although you received this information from Viking's shore office, I wouldn't guarantee its accuracy.

May I suggest checking once you are onboard, as on Turn Around Days, embarkation normally starts well before 14:00.

In a number of ports, the local authorities require a "zero count" prior to embarkation commencing. This means all previous pax must have disembarked, before the ship reports a zero count.

Where late flights are expected, Viking often arrange some form of room ashore for pax waiting for transportation to the airport.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Although you received this information from Viking's shore office, I wouldn't guarantee its accuracy.

May I suggest checking once you are onboard, as on Turn Around Days, embarkation normally starts well before 14:00.

In a number of ports, the local authorities require a "zero count" prior to embarkation commencing. This means all previous pax must have disembarked, before the ship reports a zero count.

Where late flights are expected, Viking often arrange some form of room ashore for pax waiting for transportation to the airport.

The Viking Guest services rep even sent me an email confirming all that he told me. He said that is their procedure in San Juan now. We'll have to wait and see.

19 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Only for those who have Viking transfers.

We do have Viking transfers. When I asked about going ashore to a hotel, he said that they did that in the past but are now allowing passengers to remain on the ship in San Juan.

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

We do have Viking transfers. When I asked about going ashore to a hotel, he said that they did that in the past but are now allowing passengers to remain on the ship in San Juan.

Excellent!  It must be that in December they were more worried about COVID and getting everyone off so they could clean before people came on.   And so that departing passengers didn't mingle with newly arriving (and possibly COVID carrying) passengers.

I guess that is not a concern now.

You are better off staying on the ship.  The room at the Sheraton was nice, but it was a bit crowded and no windows or anything.  Just glad though to have something at the time.

8 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

I'm really pleased to read this, that's a perfect ending. Disembarkation is so often a screaming hassle!

We recently thoroughly enjoyed the Chairman's cruise round the Med Isles, it was an absolute delight. The only thing that spoilt it was disembarkation. A massive group of passengers were flying to Heathrow for a 3.30pm flight. We were transferred to the airport at Barcelona at 8am where we sat for the next 6/7 hours.

There was no possibility of arranging an alternative as we weren't informed about the timings until the last minute. Upon discussion, we collectively agreed that we'd have been happy to pay for a city excursion, anything to avoid just sitting in the airport for that length of time.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Our "room ashore" in Vancouver was a hard concrete floor in the cruise terminal for the better part of an hour. Nowhere to sit, just stand and wait in a particular (green?) with zero amenities. Didn't dare go to the bathroom ("bus will be here any moment") even if we knew where it was. Lots of disgruntled folks and "Tellus" caught hell later. If they knew the busses were screwed up why not let us wait aboard in the atrium?

• Like 1