Testing Requirement for Return to US

Flgreg

(CNN)The Biden administration is expected to announce Friday that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will lift its requirement for travelers to test negative for Covid-19 before entering the US, according to a senior administration official.

The move, which CNN was first to report, will go into effect for US-bound air travelers at midnight on Sunday.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You beat me to it.  Just saw this also.  Helps those on post cruises, but still have to get on the ship, and stay on.  

This is definitely a relief for our several day post cruise on our own in Brazil.  But you are right - still need to be Covid free to board and to explore on and off the ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rizello said:

If most countries aren’t requiring testing to enter their country and US is not requiring testing to return, what is the need for any testing at all?

You’ve got a point.  Vikings investment in testing equipment, now in heavy use for a year, is really just a sunk cost.  
now at least, people shouldn’t be under the illusion that Viking is keeping them safe - unless they make everyone eat alone, take Viking excursions only, and no socializing allowed.

• Like 7

Surely now the US has dropped the testing requirements prior to entry then it’s time that Viking consider drop the daily testing. 
I note many people have cancelled because of the fear of being tested and left sometimes stranded.

It now makes sense to drop this intensive testing now.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

You’ve got a point.  Vikings investment in testing equipment, now in heavy use for a year, is really just a sunk cost.  
now at least, people shouldn’t be under the illusion that Viking is keeping them safe - unless they make everyone eat alone, take Viking excursions only, and no socializing allowed.

The pom-pom wavers here (and there are many) are going to wave their pom-poms no matter what.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rizello said:

If most countries aren’t requiring testing to enter their country and US is not requiring testing to return, what is the need for any testing at all?

To keep the on-board environment as disease free as possible, to catch infection before it spreads to more people on board -- and to prevent the host countries from deciding that cruise ships are no longer welcome because they aren't doing enough to control the spread of disease on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seen briefly on MVJ about an hour ago before it disappeared. Captured by several people on another cruise board. Not quite ready for prime time apparently. But it does sound like we’re nearly there!

D9E1E489-9BF9-411D-ACF7-463FC725FFBE.jpeg

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Seen briefly on MVJ about an hour ago before it disappeared. Captured by several people on another cruise board. Not quite ready for prime time apparently. But it does sound like we’re nearly there!

D9E1E489-9BF9-411D-ACF7-463FC725FFBE.jpeg

@Twitchly did you see this yourself on MVJ, or is it a reflection of reports elsewhere (which I've also seen)?

The language smells like a spoof - "Viking will discontinue all on board COVID testing fleetwide". I would have expected that to say "daily testing", as that's the point of contention. As well, that sentence is followed by "we will continue to provide testing ...", which is contradictory.

In addition, it is unclear to me why Viking would cease their daily testing based on the end of the US requirement. Daily testing was never connected to that US requirement - other cruise lines simply provided a last day test to accommodate the US rules.

I may be falling prey to conspiracy theories, but this has some of the earmarks of an internet spoof, or perhaps a rogue Viking IT person.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what shows up next! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

It's very unusual to need a test when travelling in Europe now, my parents are booked on a Rhine-Moselle cruise, travelling overland through Belgium and France, that has no testing anywhere. (on a subsidiary of a line that is aimed at seniors) other friends on European ocean cruises had a test before departure from home, but that was it. 

Covid is endemic now. Are Viking going to test forever? Whats annoying is not the testing but the overreaction in putting people in covid jail when basic social distancing and masking would prevent transmission and a ruined holiday. 

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

It's very unusual to need a test when travelling in Europe now, my parents are booked on a Rhine-Moselle cruise, travelling overland through Belgium and France, that has no testing anywhere. (on a subsidiary of a line that is aimed at seniors) other friends on European ocean cruises had a test before departure from home, but that was it. 

Covid is endemic now. Are Viking going to test forever? Whats annoying is not the testing but the overreaction in putting people in covid jail when basic social distancing and masking would prevent transmission and a ruined holiday. 

Viking has got to be getting the message.

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

@Twitchly did you see this yourself on MVJ, or is it a reflection of reports elsewhere (which I've also seen)?

The language smells like a spoof - "Viking will discontinue all on board COVID testing fleetwide". I would have expected that to say "daily testing", as that's the point of contention. As well, that sentence is followed by "we will continue to provide testing ...", which is contradictory.

In addition, it is unclear to me why Viking would cease their daily testing based on the end of the US requirement. Daily testing was never connected to that US requirement - other cruise lines simply provided a last day test to accommodate the US rules.

I may be falling prey to conspiracy theories, but this has some of the earmarks of an internet spoof, or perhaps a rogue Viking IT person.

In any event, it will be interesting to see what shows up next! 🍺🥌

CurlerRob:

It is NOT a spoof. See the pics of letters I posted above. Enough proof for you?