Reduced deposit sales?

13 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Does Royal ever have reduced deposit sales?  We'd like to book a Transatlantic but the $900 deposit for 2 is very steep.

Not in the US - usually only when booking on board. Book refundable if you are uncertain. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Reduced deposit is not a sale, just a delay for payment longer.  Most likely you won't ever see that on a transatlantic

^^^This^^^  I could never figure out the draw or advantage of a reduced deposit (or delayed payments in the auto or mortgage loan business).  You've all heard the ads "Zero down and no monthly payment for 6 months" - LOL. You're going to pay the entire amount. 

Maybe if it is a non-refundable deposit.  Otherwise, you are just pushing a large payment down the road.  It's a pay me now or pay me later thing.  But if the cruise is $3,500 you are going to pay $3,500 if you put down $1,000 or $0 on the front end.

Unless it’s a suite check for refundable deposit fares.  Sometimes it’s worth it if the cruise is a long way off or if the amount is less then what you’d lose.  Now that they’ve changed their deposit refund policy it does make you think twice.  We will be trying to book mostly on board and will now always check refundable fares.  $200 was acceptable once every couple of years but $900 just isn’t for us. 

A reduced deposit isn’t just putting off the payment.  It’s decreasing your loss risk if your plans change. And we sometimes still put down $900 on cruises but choose the refundable option.  

1 hour ago, fsufancc said:

^^^This^^^  I could never figure out the draw or advantage of a reduced deposit (or delayed payments in the auto or mortgage loan business).  You've all heard the ads "Zero down and no monthly payment for 6 months" - LOL. You're going to pay the entire amount. 

Maybe if it is a non-refundable deposit.  Otherwise, you are just pushing a large payment down the road.  It's a pay me now or pay me later thing.  But if the cruise is $3,500 you are going to pay $3,500 if you put down $1,000 or $0 on the front end.

This is the advantage of reduced deposit. I have 5 long cruises booked though Next Cruise over the next two years. Total all deposits $1000. If booked normally, would be $4500 tied up in deposits. Some people, including myself,  prefer not to tie up all that money up front for cruises up to 2 years away. Another advantage is it gives some people time to save for a cruise 2 years away but get the cabin/location they want now. Has nothing to do with the total price of the cruise.

35 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yes, it's a delay of course.  I'd rather not have the cruise line hanging onto that much money if I book very early.

The other option if you don't want to prepay early, you can wait and book later but prices tend to go up.  It's a commitment to go, and the deposit will be given back up to the contract amounts for cancelation. 

• Like 1