Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

7 hours ago, lotus land said:

Okay, in Victoria, BC so I can use my own cellular plan. Attached is a picture of the HDMI port at the back of the TV PXL_20220705_034457440.thumb.jpg.65cf0ffe35def46483583edebc2bd125.jpg

Thanks, but didn't work for me either. I see you're using a Pixel. I have the 6 Pro - takes awesome photos!

Hope you are having a great trip, other than the internet.

Kevin

Edited by kml246

16 hours ago, kml246 said:

Thanks, but didn't work for me either. I see you're using a Pixel. I have the 6 Pro - takes awesome photos!

Hope you are having a great trip, other than the internet.

Kevin

Let's try one more time now that I'm home.

PXL_20220705_034457440.thumb.jpg.ec8b58fad9794305f07fa8361d530881.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lotus land said:

Let's try one more time now that I'm home.

PXL_20220705_034457440.thumb.jpg.ec8b58fad9794305f07fa8361d530881.jpg

Thanks for posting, and glad you made it home safely. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Strange, I don't see anything that would prevent plugging in. It looks like a standard LG HDMI port. I have had some HDMI cables that are more difficult to insert than others. Oh well, I'll find out in a couple of weeks on Enchanted.

Thanks, again!

Kevin

4 hours ago, kml246 said:

Thanks for posting, and glad you made it home safely. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Strange, I don't see anything that would prevent plugging in. It looks like a standard LG HDMI port. I have had some HDMI cables that are more difficult to insert than others. Oh well, I'll find out in a couple of weeks on Enchanted.

Thanks, again!

Kevin

I brought a long needle nose tweezers on the Enchanted and didn't have to use it to plug into the HDMI port. I just bent out the wall mounted TV slightly so I could squeeze hand in to get to the input jack. 

Once inserted I left it there for the whole trip. I also brought some strong magnet hooks to route the AC cable from the desk to the Roku unit behind the TV. 

The cabin steward was curious what it was for. 😄

Ahh, I guess I didn't have the plug at the right angle and couldn't insert it. Oh well. Thank you everyone for your help. We had a great time on our cruise.... Went to sleep earlier and read more books.

Will try again on the next cruise 😂

Safe travels and happy cruising everyone!

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I brought a long needle nose tweezers on the Enchanted and didn't have to use it to plug into the HDMI port. I just bent out the wall mounted TV slightly so I could squeeze hand in to get to the input jack. 

Once inserted I left it there for the whole trip. I also brought some strong magnet hooks to route the AC cable from the desk to the Roku unit behind the TV. 

The cabin steward was curious what it was for. 😄

I bring a short right angle extension cord that I plug into the receptacle behind the TV. I have to unplug the white network box to get the plug in but then I plug the Roku and the network box into a power tap plugged into the end of the cord. I then tuck the Roku and the cords behind the TV and nobody's the wiser. I was concerned the first time I did it because it took over five minutes for the TV to stablish a connection to the Princess network again. In kept rebooting until it finally negotiated a solid connection. Turns out that's normal as it does the same thing every time. 

It does take a bit of squeezing to get my hand back there, but I've never needed any tools to do it. On the last night, I just put everything back the way it was. 

1 hour ago, lotus land said:

Ahh, I guess I didn't have the plug at the right angle and couldn't insert it. Oh well. Thank you everyone for your help. We had a great time on our cruise.... Went to sleep earlier and read more books.

Will try again on the next cruise 😂

Safe travels and happy cruising everyone!

No worries. It's a pain they make it so difficult to utilize the ports. I can understand Princess not wanting a bunch of streaming sticks inserted, but why not let us use downloaded movies on a thumb drive. It they allowed the TVs to be used as a media player, we wouldn't even need to bring the Rokus, etc. It would be nice to be able to pair bluetooth headphones to the TVs so my late night watching doesn't disturb my wife.

Glad you had a great trip, and thanks for the photo and the well wishes!

Kevin

16 hours ago, kml246 said:

No worries. It's a pain they make it so difficult to utilize the ports. I can understand Princess not wanting a bunch of streaming sticks inserted, but why not let us use downloaded movies on a thumb drive. It they allowed the TVs to be used as a media player, we wouldn't even need to bring the Rokus, etc. It would be nice to be able to pair bluetooth headphones to the TVs so my late night watching doesn't disturb my wife.

Glad you had a great trip, and thanks for the photo and the well wishes!

Kevin

Except that connecting a Roku allows me to view my photo's from my phone in addition to using earphones on their remote.

I like that angled extension cord idea although it might also be a bear to install. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Except that connecting a Roku allows me to view my photo's from my phone in addition to using earphones on their remote.

I like that angled extension cord idea although it might also be a bear to install. 

It's definitely tough to install, too, but it gives a clean appearance and no clue that I've installed any devices. 

I use the Roku to use my thumb drive with downloaded videos and for the remote with earphones, too. Plus, when the internet is good, I can stream my business shows to keep tabs on the markets.

Kevin

17 minutes ago, kml246 said:

It's definitely tough to install, too, but it gives a clean appearance and no clue that I've installed any devices. 

I use the Roku to use my thumb drive with downloaded videos and for the remote with earphones, too. Plus, when the internet is good, I can stream my business shows to keep tabs on the markets.

Kevin

I think they know that people have installed devices on their TV system. Talking to one of the crew members that had installed a similar device, he was told to remove it. They did know that something was installed even though he told no one about it. 

On our last trip in April, the movie selection were absolutely terrible. Outdated movies I had seen from last year with only 2 or 3 relatively current ones like Godzilla vs. Kong if you could call that current. 😄

Why they make it so hard to enjoy their system is strange.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I think they know that people have installed devices on their TV system. Talking to one of the crew members that had installed a similar device, he was told to remove it. They did know that something was installed even though he told no one about it. 

On our last trip in April, the movie selection were absolutely terrible. Outdated movies I had seen from last year with only 2 or 3 relatively current ones like Godzilla vs. Kong if you could call that current. 😄

Why they make it so hard to enjoy their system is strange.

You can always watch episodes of the LoveBoat

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, cruisingrob21 said:

That's a fact - in the time of Covid, I'm shocked that they can't show the MUTS movies in cabins (last time I cruised anyways they didn't have them in the cabin tv library) or some of the shows in the Princess Theater.  It can't be that hard to tape and record anything in Princess Live - considering they have the camera setups in there.

They have the MUTS movie available on the cabin tv the next day.

2 hours ago, Ladybuggers said:

We are sailing on the Discovery soon and I was hoping to bring my Surface and docking station so we could watch shows I have downloaded. Has anyone been successful hooking up an HDMI device and it work correctly? Thanks

Newest ship we've been on is Enchanted. I was able to plug my Roku Ultra into the HDMI port on the TV. It does take a bit of work squeezing your hand in there to access the port. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kml246 said:

Newest ship we've been on is Enchanted. I was able to plug my Roku Ultra into the HDMI port on the TV. It does take a bit of work squeezing your hand in there to access the port. 

Since I last posted, my husband has made a 6 inch extension from a piece of pvc tubing to hold the end of the HDMI cable. It should be easier than trying to squeeze you hand behind the TV. 

I'm not sure if it'll work for the Roku power plug or not but we'll bring a short ac extension cord, just in case. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Since I last posted, my husband has made a 6 inch extension from a piece of pvc tubing to hold the end of the HDMI cable. It should be easier than trying to squeeze you hand behind the TV. 

I'm not sure if it'll work for the Roku power plug or not but we'll bring a short ac extension cord, just in case. 

Interesting about the extension. Wouldn't mind seeing a photo for that. The HDMI port on Enchanted's TV was much tighter than the TVs on older Princess ships with LG televisions, so it needed more force to insert. Worked fine when I got it in. The internet was horrendous, so I couldn't stream, but the Ultra has a USB port and a media player app. I just bring a thumb drive with plenty of shows and movies.

Here is the mini extension cord I use on Princess for behind the TV. There's not much room, so the right-angle plug is handy. I then add the power cube to plug in the TV and the Roku. 

AmazonSmile: Toptekits 90 Degree Angled Polarized US 2-Prong Male-Female Extension Power Cord,1.6ft/0.5m Elbow NEMA 1-15P to 1-15R Cable Polarized,USA Outlet Saver Power Extension Cord Cable (1.6ft/0.5m, Elbow) : Tools & Home Improvement

AmazonSmile: Philips 3-Outlet Extender, Extra-Wide Adapter Spaced, Easy Access Design, 3-Prong, Perfect for Travel, Cube, 1 Pack, Grey, SPS3001GR/37 : Everything Else

@Ladybuggers, there is a trick to accessing the other ports on the Princess LG TVs. It should be listed on CC. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Kevin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Interesting about the extension. Wouldn't mind seeing a photo for that. The HDMI port on Enchanted's TV was much tighter than the TVs on older Princess ships with LG televisions, so it needed more force to insert. Worked fine when I got it in. The internet was horrendous, so I couldn't stream, but the Ultra has a USB port and a media player app. I just bring a thumb drive with plenty of shows and movies.

Here is the mini extension cord I use on Princess for behind the TV. There's not much room, so the right-angle plug is handy. I then add the power cube to plug in the TV and the Roku. 

AmazonSmile: Toptekits 90 Degree Angled Polarized US 2-Prong Male-Female Extension Power Cord,1.6ft/0.5m Elbow NEMA 1-15P to 1-15R Cable Polarized,USA Outlet Saver Power Extension Cord Cable (1.6ft/0.5m, Elbow) : Tools & Home Improvement

AmazonSmile: Philips 3-Outlet Extender, Extra-Wide Adapter Spaced, Easy Access Design, 3-Prong, Perfect for Travel, Cube, 1 Pack, Grey, SPS3001GR/37 : Everything Else

@Ladybuggers, there is a trick to accessing the other ports on the Princess LG TVs. It should be listed on CC. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Kevin

I asked the question on Facebook as well and my answers were the ports are "disabled" I am not sure what they mean, (Can't get behind the tv, can't sort out of to change input) but I am going to give it a ago. 

14 minutes ago, Ladybuggers said:

I asked the question on Facebook as well and my answers were the ports are "disabled" I am not sure what they mean, (Can't get behind the tv, can't sort out of to change input) but I am going to give it a ago. 

Can't answer about Discovery, but on Enchanted the port was very tough to push in, much more so than other ships. It did go in, though, and worked fine. 

I programmed the Roku remote to work with the LG TV so port selection was much easier. 

7 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Can't answer about Discovery, but on Enchanted the port was very tough to push in, much more so than other ships. It did go in, though, and worked fine. 

I programmed the Roku remote to work with the LG TV so port selection was much easier. 

I am brining a LG universal remote, if not I will try the trick of going to the bridge cam and try to change the input that way.

8 hours ago, Ladybuggers said:

I am brining a LG universal remote, if not I will try the trick of going to the bridge cam and try to change the input that way.

I also bring an LG remote, but you still need to be on a live TV channel to be able to switch the inputs. I suppose the bridge cam could work, though I've never tried it. 

A universal remote is not necessary to work the TV's on Princess. The only remote that I use is to control what every device that I use connected to their DHMI input, which lately is my Roku. 

To change the HDMI input check out this post from SinbadThePorter

I'll post a photo of my husbands HDMI extension holder as soon as he's awake- Can't find it right now. It eliminates the need for a long nose plyers making it very easy to hold and push the end of the cable into the socket. 

Although we haven actually tried it yet it appears that it will work with very little effort.

• Like 1

I am on Discovery right now and was not successful using the HDMI. The navigation console at the middle bottom of the TV has been modified to only allow power on or off only. I had no problem in the past to use HDMI on other Royal class ships. 

I will be on the Discovery for another 10 days. So if anybody figures out a solution, please post. Thank you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am on Discovery right now and was not successful using the HDMI. The navigation console at the middle bottom of the TV has been modified to only allow power on or off only. I had no problem in the past to use HDMI on other Royal class ships. 

I will be on the Discovery for another 10 days. So if anybody figures out a solution, please post. Thank you. 

That sounds like they've modified the sets to keep people out.

Try first switching the TV to a news channel before using the toggle switch. For some reason in the past, I seemed to have more success with those channels then any of the others .

I hope it's only on the Discovery. 

• Like 1