Whale watching: Icy Strait Point vs Juneau. Which one?

HandC4Me

If you had to pick one port to do a whale watching excursion, would you pick Icy Strait Point or Juneau, and why? I've read great reviews of different operators in each place. I'm wondering if there are other points to consider besides tour operators, ie, is one place more "known" for good whale spotting over another? We will be traveling July 4 - 11th. Many thanks in advance for any input!

50 minutes ago, HandC4Me said:

If you had to pick one port to do a whale watching excursion, would you pick Icy Strait Point or Juneau, and why? I've read great reviews of different operators in each place. I'm wondering if there are other points to consider besides tour operators, ie, is one place more "known" for good whale spotting over another? We will be traveling July 4 - 11th. Many thanks in advance for any input!

Can't go wrong with either one. We did our last one from Icy Strait and it was an amazing trip

• Like 1

The time and distance to reach whale feeding locations is far superior in ISP than in Juneau.  I have seen a whale show a huge tail within 100 yards of the ship at the ISP pier.  Lots more active feeding in ISP.

Huge open mouths!!

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/P6040849.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/P6040699.jpg

• Like 3

ISP is the best option. I have been twice (2017 & last month) and saw lots of whales from the tour and shore both times. I have used Glacier Winds and Hoonah Adventures and would recommend either.  

Another reason in choosing ISP is that there are more options in Juneau for excursions than in ISP. 

• Like 2

Having done both, I would go with ISP.  Less time it getting to the area and better display of whale activity, including MULTIPLE bubble feedings viewed.  Also, Juneau has more other things "to do" as compared to ISP, so save the whale watching for ISP.

• Like 2

We're in the "same boat," so to speak; we're cruising in September and not July. We're saving the whale-watching for ISP and choosing Hoonah Travel Adventures, which runs a smaller 18-person boat for certain trips and has a whale-spotting guarantee (I believe it's $100/passenger if no whales are seen during a trip). There are also a couple of other companies in the area that have smaller boats as well. Our reasoning is similar to DaveOKC's and JT1962's; Juneau has more options for excursions and self-guided explorations, whereas ISP really only has the zipline, bear-watching, and whale-watching.

• Like 2

We have booked a small group Whale Watch at Juneau (4 hrs) and a Whale Watch and Bear Watch excursion at ISP (6 hrs).

Fingers  crossed but both WW trips are offering the refund if no Whales are seen ... they also say that they have never had to offer the refund 🙂and sightings are guaranteed.