Essentials Travel Protection-Standard....Help Please

mjcatlvr

Hello, Today is final payment day for our cruise in mid October. Nervous to pay in full because my mother 89 with Alzheimers and father 85 who looks after her are both very fragile health wise. I cannot find the coverage information to see if I cancel because of having to care for them, if I have any coverage for that reason.  If everything stays as is, I have a son and friend that can look in on them if we are able to go. If things get any worse then of course we can't go. Please help with this info if you can.

Thank you in advance.

This is a PCC question.  And a complex one.

Your reason is probably NOT covered unless you have one of those "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" policies and then it will give you FCC not cash back.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

You're covered for trip cancellation, trip interruption and trip delay.

BookSafe provides reimbursement for the prepaid, non-refundable, unused portion of your vacation should you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to unexpected illness, injury, job termination and other covered reasons as listed in the plan. The plan also covers additional out-of-pocket expenses for meals and accommodation, as well as for travel expenses to catch up to the vacation due to covered travel delays.

Best of all, if your reason for cancellation is not covered for reimbursement under the plan, we provide you with a credit for a future cruise.

It is concerning that you used the term "Essentials" in your headline:

Essentials Travel Protection-Standard...

Using those words in a search, this is what came-up on NCL.com

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/NCL-LandingPage-ESSENTIALS-7-2017.html

Hopefully, between @CrazyTrain2 (above post) and this link above, you will be able to get in contact with somebody who can carefully guide you to/with the assurances that you need!

Use the following pathway online to see what you have.

From your cruise summary

open up "Essentials Travel Protection"

This will tell you which of the three possible plans you have selected - (Platinum, Standard or Essential).  I do not think they actually sell the essentials anymore

Now go back to the summary page

Open up "Air, Hotels and Transfers" (why NCL put the insurance info here nobody knows and NCL doesn't care)

Select "Travel Protection Plans"

You can then read about the different plans.  Generally the Platinum plan is $60/pp more.

Should NCL web developers be shot for general incompetency - Yes, Yes they should.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

This is a PCC question.  And a complex one.

Your reason is probably NOT covered unless you have one of those "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" policies and then it will give you FCC not cash back.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

You're covered for trip cancellation, trip interruption and trip delay.

BookSafe provides reimbursement for the prepaid, non-refundable, unused portion of your vacation should you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to unexpected illness, injury, job termination and other covered reasons as listed in the plan. The plan also covers additional out-of-pocket expenses for meals and accommodation, as well as for travel expenses to catch up to the vacation due to covered travel delays.

Best of all, if your reason for cancellation is not covered for reimbursement under the plan, we provide you with a credit for a future cruise.

Thank you for your response, I will call my PCC.

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

It is concerning that you used the term "Essentials" in your headline:

Essentials Travel Protection-Standard...

Using those words in a search, this is what came-up on NCL.com

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/NCL-LandingPage-ESSENTIALS-7-2017.html

Hopefully, between @CrazyTrain2 (above post) and this link above, you will be able to get in contact with somebody who can carefully guide you to/with the assurances that you need!

Yes, the wording is correct. Thank you for the link. According to that we would be S.O.L. if things were not good for my folks and we cancelled. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, mjcatlvr said:

Yes, the wording is correct. Thank you for the link. According to that we would be S.O.L. if things were not good for my folks and we cancelled. Thanks for the info.

Your wording immediately struck me that it would be the likelihood.  I'm sorry it is the case for you. 

Wishing you the very best!

OP - Sorry and can empathize with your aging parents, been there & gone thru that each & every time we travel abroad and/or take a vacation, whether it's a cruise or flying, etc.  Now that they are eternally free, happy & in a better world - we cruise with minimal worries, aside from this pandemic. 

Hintsight is often 20/20 ... If you cancel your upcoming trip yesterday, your losses will be minimal as there was no penalty - however, today being final payment, if you purchase standard insurance plan by NCL, this "should" be considered a non-covered reason and under current T&C, you should be able to claim & get 75% of your costs in the form of a FCC.  

Have you spoken to a CSR from Nationwide Insurance, they underwrite NCL's policies and will be handling your claim - AFTER, you first cancel this upcoming trip with NCL (or, via your TA if booked thru them).  Please speak to them first for their help & advice and understand what documentations, proof (if any) are needed to successfully make a claim - see below - and, good luck.  

P.S.  The inexpensive, bargain (cheap one) "Essential Plan" offered by NCL can usually be purchased only after final payment offering minimal travel & medical coverage, not for any kind of cancellations at all ... I stand correctly, but don't think this is your coverage, unless you only pay about $35 per person for it as part of the booking earlier. 

Time is valuable and when you have frail love ones on the edge, it's priceless to be able to spent time by their sides.  This is taking a financial loss but you'll look back years later and be glad that you made the appropriate choice - we cannot rewind the time machine.  Best wishes.  

FAQ - https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/FAQ_p

Aon Travel Claim Contact Us

Managing your claim online and uploading documents via this site remains the fastest way to get it processed.

Have questions?

Complete this form, and a member of our customer service team will be in touch.

Prefer to talk? Call us: 1-800-453-4027, Mon-Fri 8am-10pm EST, Sat 9am-5pm EST.

17 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

OP - Sorry and can empathize with your aging parents, been there & gone thru that each & every time we travel abroad and/or take a vacation, whether it's a cruise or flying, etc.  Now that they are eternally free, happy & in a better world - we cruise with minimal worries, aside from this pandemic. 

Hintsight is often 20/20 ... If you cancel your upcoming trip yesterday, your losses will be minimal as there was no penalty - however, today being final payment, if you purchase standard insurance plan by NCL, this "should" be considered a non-covered reason and under current T&C, you should be able to claim & get 75% of your costs in the form of a FCC.  

Have you spoken to a CSR from Nationwide Insurance, they underwrite NCL's policies and will be handling your claim - AFTER, you first cancel this upcoming trip with NCL (or, via your TA if booked thru them).  Please speak to them first for their help & advice and understand what documentations, proof (if any) are needed to successfully make a claim - see below - and, good luck.  

P.S.  The inexpensive, bargain (cheap one) "Essential Plan" offered by NCL can usually be purchased only after final payment offering minimal travel & medical coverage, not for any kind of cancellations at all ... I stand correctly, but don't think this is your coverage, unless you only pay about $35 per person for it as part of the booking earlier. 

Time is valuable and when you have frail love ones on the edge, it's priceless to be able to spent time by their sides.  This is taking a financial loss but you'll look back years later and be glad that you made the appropriate choice - we cannot rewind the time machine.  Best wishes.  

FAQ - https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/FAQ_p

Aon Travel Claim Contact Us

Managing your claim online and uploading documents via this site remains the fastest way to get it processed.

Have questions?

Complete this form, and a member of our customer service team will be in touch.

Prefer to talk? Call us: 1-800-453-4027, Mon-Fri 8am-10pm EST, Sat 9am-5pm EST.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I called and "Death" is the only thing that is covered regarding my parents...ugh. This is for refund only though, my NCL Cruise Consultant told me that even on "uncovered" reasons that we would get a 75% FCC on the cruise fare and that required tips etc would be refunded. We are actually happy with that as we will hopefully cruise many more times in our lifetime. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjcatlvr said:

Hello, Today is final payment day for our cruise in mid October. Nervous to pay in full because my mother 89 with Alzheimers and father 85 who looks after her are both very fragile health wise. I cannot find the coverage information to see if I cancel because of having to care for them, if I have any coverage for that reason.  If everything stays as is, I have a son and friend that can look in on them if we are able to go. If things get any worse then of course we can't go. Please help with this info if you can.

Thank you in advance.

If you have a Standard NCL plan, if you cancel for a covered reason, the insurance will cover your cruise fare. If you cancel for a non-covered reason, NCL will give you a 75% cruise credit for your cruise fare. If you have the Platinum plan, NCL will give you a 90% credit for cruise fare for a non-covered cancellation. Port fees and taxes, purchased items will all be refunded to the original form of payment. 

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you have a Standard NCL plan, if you cancel for a covered reason, the insurance will cover your cruise fare. If you cancel for a non-covered reason, NCL will give you a 75% cruise credit for your cruise fare. If you have the Platinum plan, NCL will give you a 90% credit for cruise fare for a non-covered cancellation. Port fees and taxes, purchased items will all be refunded to the original form of payment. 

Always a solid answer from BirdTravels. Thank you, this is what NCL also told me. Had I been offered the Platinum Plan or even knew about it I would have purchased. Oh well, live and learn and fingers crossed.