Queen Victoria Assisting Sail Boat in Distress

safarigal

Ace, chill!

There are far more pressing things to be concerned about than the likelihood of a Cunard ship being hijacked by a sailboat in distress.

As an aside, maybe a Pirate Exercise once a cruise, preferably at the beginning, would be a great way of meeting the neighbours. I thoroughly enjoy 'Pirate exercise' when nearing any pirate area. Most convivial. Our last one was definitely a G&T hour, and that was before lunch! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

"Cunard ship sank by terrorists thousands dead" "Cunard line near bankrupt after terror strike!" "CLIA calls for cruise ship be armed with anti ship missles after terror strike" - a thing which would never be allowed -. How about those headlines.

Being as polite as I can u r talking nonsense the yacht would have a MMSI number, call sign and a VHF DSC radio for May day at press of button, possibly even more communication all relevant ID logged ashore on an international data base + AIS to track. How do i know? Because I have sailed that route many times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And what if it had been members of the wagner group in the first attack in Europe or ISIS and it was a trap there was 8 of them onboard 7 with RPG's who once the ship stops open fire at the stationary target destroying the bridge first disabling the ship and killing the bridge crew then lifeboats. Then ramming the ship with their ship full of explosives potentially sinking it? Or they overwhelm QV rescue team board the ship take the entire ship hostage and making demands against Ukraine war?

Either way lets not make it easy from them?

So QV should have ignored them sailed on and faced possible prosecution?

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

"Cunard ship sank by terrorists thousands dead" "Cunard line near bankrupt after terror strike!" "CLIA calls for cruise ship be armed with anti ship missles after terror strike" - a thing which would never be allowed -.  And last but not least. "SAS commander vows to slaughter Wagner Group killers as QV hostage siege continues" How about those headlines.

Excellent story. Could be a novel in it! 🙂

24 minutes ago, sogne said:

So QV should have ignored them sailed on and faced possible prosecution?

No they should stay with the ship till coastguard or  navy arrive but not send any personnel over nor allow anyone to board the cruise ship in case they are not who they claim to be. Don't make it easy for them. The industry would not survive the sinking of a cruise ship imo

Cunard have had a long relationship with the British SBS and frequently allow them to exercise on board the ships when there is no pax on board, e.g. when heading for dry dock etc..

The SBS has also been known to join the ships when near pirate territory.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

And what if it had been members of the wagner group in the first attack in Europe or ISIS and it was a trap there was 8 of them onboard 7 with RPG's who once the ship stops open fire at the stationary target destroying the bridge first disabling the ship and killing the bridge crew then lifeboats. Then ramming the ship with their ship full of explosives potentially sinking it? Or they overwhelm QV rescue team board the ship take the entire ship hostage and making demands against Ukraine war?

Either way lets not make it easy from them?

Presumably on Cunard this scenario would only become an issue should the pirates eat in the wrong dining room, take their jackets off during dinner service, get in the way of the ballroom dancers or put squirty cream on their scones?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, davekent said:

Presumably on Cunard this scenario would only become an issue should the pirates eat in the wrong dining room, take their jackets off during dinner service, get in the way of the ballroom dancers or put squirty cream on their scones?

RPG's is perhaps a bit far fetched. But you can't escape the fact it could be anyone on a boat that claims to be in distress and that an a attack or serious attempt would possibly finished the cruise industry.

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

RPG's is perhaps a bit far fetched. But you can't escape the fact it could be anyone on a boat that claims to be in distress and that an a attack or serious attempt would possibly finished the cruise industry.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to go aboard as a group of passengers, each taking some ingredients, and put your lethal device together on board. Why would it finish the cruise industry? People still fly...

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Cunard have had a long relationship with the British SBS and frequently allow them to exercise on board the ships when there is no pax on board, e.g. when heading for dry dock etc..

The SBS has also been known to join the ships when near pirate territory.

I've certainly seen personnel around the aft acoustic devices, deployed when in Pirate territory, who seem rather big and burly and who might have attended Pirate Defence classes!

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No they should stay with the ship till coastguard or  navy arrive but not send any personnel over nor allow anyone to board the cruise ship in case they are not who they claim to be. Don't make it easy for them. The industry would not survive the sinking of a cruise ship imo

As I said you are talking nonsense u clearly no nothing of SAR procedures. To use your fantasy logic any vessel of whatever size that cruise ships pass close by particularly in confined waters could carry a risk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I've certainly seen personnel around the aft acoustic devices, deployed when in Pirate territory, who seem rather big and burly and who might have attended Pirate Defence classes!

I once saw a group of about 20 pirates with cutlasses running down A Stairway. But they were only aged about seven. The Children's Club were having a treasure hunt, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Wouldn't it be simpler just to go aboard as a group of passengers, each taking some ingredients, and put your lethal device together on board. Why would it finish the cruise industry? People still fly...

Or attach it to the bottom of the hull with a diver while the "rescue is taking place". A decent size device would put a hole in the hull no? How about not stopping to find out.

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I once saw a group of about 20 pirates with cutlasses running down A Stairway. But they were only aged about seven. The Children's Club were having a treasure hunt, I believe.

I think ''their'' pirates might be bigger than ours but never underestimate a band of cutlass wielding children. They are, after all, Cunard pirates! Not in the luxury band of pirates, obviously, but a force to be reckoned with nevertheless! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Or attach it to the bottom of the hull with a diver while the "rescue is taking place". A decent size device would put a hole in the hull no? How about not stopping to find out.

I take it your fears will prevent u cruising in the future.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sogne said:

I take it your fears will prevent u cruising in the future.

Of course not. But if anything did ever happen I would sue the cruise line for falling into the blatant trap. I doubt they could sink a cruise ship with a fire ship but they could do damage and disable it and I think damage would be enough for them to claim a victory cost the lines millions and send the industry into chaos.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Of course not. But if anything did ever happen I would sue the cruise line for falling into the blatant trap. I doubt they could sink a cruise ship with a fire ship but they could do damage and disable it and I think damage would be enough for them to claim a victory cost the lines millions and send the industry into chaos.

I don't imagine you would be very successful, as the ship was acting in accordance with international law.

47 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Look up SOLAS & other marine conventions & regulations

4 minutes ago, sogne said:

Look up SOLAS & other marine conventions & regulations

And consider a higher death toll than 9/11 if they could actually sink a cruise ship and such a trap might be the only way they could do it. Consider if did happen it would be the end of the industry as we know it. Lets pray to god it never does.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

You forgot the pocket nuke option. 🙄

I guess you haven't read any cruise contracts.