Assistance with internet

Welland

Elderly relatives are heading to S class ship.   Trying to have printed out in advance instructions to connect their I-Pad to the wi-fi.  I know they can obtain assistance on the ship however would like the instructions so they can do it on their own.   If anyone remembers how to connect or has info please advise.   Many thanks.

I'll give it a stab -

First if their ipad also has celluar they need to put in airplane mode but enable wifii.     I suspect they don"t.   Next thing they need to go to Networks and Select Celebrity (usually Ship Name)  

First thing they will want to do is to open their iPad and either use a QR code that will be in their room or go to  guest.onboardicafe.com on their browser.

There will be a choice to sign up for Internet

They will have to create a Username and a Passcode (4 digits)

To create they will need (and going by memory)   Name, Birthdate and account number.    The account number is the number on their sea pass.   

They then select package.   If included they just choose the free account.

That's it

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

Many thanks.   This will work very well for them.  We will "practice" (to the extent that we are able to do from home) the things that they will have to do.   Will also print out your instructions for them.   If this fails they can go and stand in line at the Internet Cafe.    🙂

Not to worry....they will never make ZENITH.   

One other thing, while usually the internet browser doesn't matter, I was on the Millie over presidents day weekend and on the iPhone, for whatever reason the Chrome (my default) browser wouldn't take you to the login page.  You had to use safari; once you were logged in then you could use Chrome.  No idea about Android.

35 minutes ago, Welland said:

If this fails they can go and stand in line at the Internet Cafe.

I would suggest they ask their stateroom attendant for assistance first. That might fail too, but it's quicker.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

. . . go to  guest.onboardicafe.com on their browser.

Gotta say a quick thanks for that. My laptop has "too much" security which usually blocks things like hotel and cruise ship start pages. I'm sure knowing the exact url to type in will help considerably. . . . as long as they don't decide to change it before my November cruise. 😐

41 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

One other thing, while usually the internet browser doesn't matter, I was on the Millie over presidents day weekend and on the iPhone, for whatever reason the Chrome (my default) browser wouldn't take you to the login page.  You had to use safari; once you were logged in then you could use Chrome.  No idea about Android.

It might be something in the settings of your Chrome browser. My lady's Chrome is usually the easiest to get up and going when we travel. Check the Security or Privacy settings as compared to other browsers you might have on hand.

(Edit to add) I just caught that it was Chrome on your iPhone. Unfortunately phone browsers never offer as much in the way of settings as computer browsers do, so there may not be anything to find or change.

Android has a neat little "magic" deal buried in the code (part of the built-in web stuff) that usually makes it easy to connect to just about anything. (Almost too easy I might say.)

Edited by Moonarino

4 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

It might be something in the settings of your Chrome browser. My lady's Chrome is usually the easiest to get up and going when we travel. Check the Security or Privacy settings as compared to other browsers you might have on hand.

(Edit to add) I just caught that it was Chrome on your iPhone. Unfortunately phone browsers never offer as much in the way of settings as computer browsers do, so there may not be anything to find or change.

Android has a neat little "magic" deal buried in the code (part of the built-in web stuff) that usually makes it easy to connect to just about anything. (Almost too easy I might say.)

Not sure what happened as chrome worked until one morning; I went to the iLounge and handed the rep my phone, he opened safari, the login appeared, he gave it back and told me chrome isn't working.  I never asked why

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure what happened as chrome worked until one morning; I went to the iLounge and handed the rep my phone, he opened safari, the login appeared, he gave it back and told me chrome isn't working.  I never asked why

Maybe an upgrade? (Dontcha love 'em.) Either the phone or the app possibly. Chrome (the desktop version anyway) is sneaky about upgrading, I never know when one has happened. I don't use it myself but I "manage" my lady's laptop.

3 hours ago, Welland said:

Elderly relatives are heading to S class ship.   Trying to have printed out in advance instructions to connect their I-Pad to the wi-fi.  I know they can obtain assistance on the ship however would like the instructions so they can do it on their own.   If anyone remembers how to connect or has info please advise.   Many thanks.

If they struggle I can almost guarantee their room attendant will be able to sort out their log on for them. Also, despite how busy he is he will do it with a smile…

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure if it matters but (geek time) Chrome often will reject some sites that they identify as wanting secure  (secure connection) because it thinks the site is trying to redirect to a non-secure webpage.   It can usually be fixed by going to the Browsers Advance Security setting and enable "Always use secure connections" toggle. 

• Like 1