CRUISING IN OCTOBER

Heimey

My wife and I are cruising the Caribbean in October (Jamaica, Belize and Cozumel). We have always been hesitant to cruise in October because of hurricane season. Aside from the hurricane threat, what is everyone's experience cruising at this time. Rain, temperature and wind. Any help would be appreciated.

Heimey 

Fall into early winter has always been very nice as it still pretty hot in the islands and we have cruised many times in October and November.  The cruise lines will stay away from the storms and watch the weather pretty close, you may get rerouted if a big storm is brewing.  For the most part it should be a great cruise, have fun!

• Like 3

Drazil65 is spot on. We've cruised several times in the Fall. Once I cruised during my namesake Hurricane Mitch. (I got a lot of ribbing on board for this) They switched the itinerary to avoid the storm and except for one day the weather was great. Prices tend to be lower so it's a good time to cruise in my view.

• Like 1

Not sure if you want just info on your itinerary but we cruised last Oct to the Bahamas. We had rocking and rolling mostly the whole cruise from mild-bad. Weather at the ports was good, not hot. Last few days of the cruise were the worse. Very windy, drizzly on and off, chilly. We were delayed coming back because of weather. Have sailed in Sept a few times with no issues but now am wary to book Oct cruises.

I've always had good luck cruising in the fall.  The weather was nice every time, kids are in school, etc.  

The one and only time we ran into REALLY bad weather was in February, right before the Covid shutdown - coming back to Port Canaveral from our final stop at Grand Turk we spent 4 or 5 hours in tropical storm force winds and 18 - 20 ft. seas.

October is one of my favorite months to cruise. The price and lack of kids are huge draws. It's very rare that a hurricane impacts you. Even rarer that it causes you to cancel your trip. It could cause a reroute though. Whether has been fine. We have had bad weather days in all months.

We regularly sail from Europe to US October-mid-November. Some times itinerary gets adjusted, but never a real problem. 

Someone from Ontario (or northern US) is far more likely to get bad impact  from snow storms a day or so before sailing than have serious concerns about October hurricanes.