CDC currently reviewing pre-cruise testing.

Robjame

Having flown from Des Moines Chicago, O'Hare to Sao Paulo, Brazil to Asuncion, Paraguay and back recently, the whole thing was a joke then, and then they started dropping the entry and exit testing requirements, both Paraguay and the USA!

Mask up in only some planes to disembark in crowded airports with thousands of unmasked passengers. A haphazard review, if any, of any vaccination documents. I do NOT remember ANYONE anywhere seriously studying mine! Ministry of Health forms that no one reads and which you can just fill in with "fantasy" (said the German national who didn't know he had to fill one out before GOL would let him get on the 737 in Sao Paulo, so he filled it out in a few rushed minutes to be allowed on the plane, but when we land in Paraguay no Paraguayan even looks at!).

So why is cruising treated differently on June 21st? Vaccination is as good as it gets now that COVID is endemic, like the flu. IF you're at serious risk, don't TRAVEL. Whether by airplane, bus, train or cruise ship.

• Like 4

Of course, cruising is different from flying in the sense that one is in contact with a bunch of fellow passengers and crew over an extended time. Add to that, the visiting of different ports and countries where Covid can still be a problem. Pre-cruise testing does not mitigate against these stops.
Those who support the end of pre-cruise testing cite the fact that though there has been Covid cases, there have been few or no hospitalizations as a result of cruising. 
Individual risk and responsibility are the future of this endemic.

IMO, as long as the cruise line might quarantine me if I test positive on the cruise, I would prefer to have a Covid positive person stopped before getting on the ship.I might have a better chance of a Covid free cruise.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, azalice said:

IMO, as long as the cruise line might quarantine me if I test positive on the cruise, I would prefer to have a Covid positive person stopped before getting on the ship.I might have a better chance of a Covid free cruise.

There is so much supposition that goes along with this but you would have to figure that the cruise line would treat Covid as any other health problem. Like the flu. If you are vaccinated and boosted then you may not even have symptoms. Likewise other passengers may catch it but they may not know  it etc, do you obsess about flu, colds etc when on a cruise? You probably take reasonable precautions. Few people who are fully vaccinated (and boosted) become hospitalized, ventilated except high risk individuals who must assess their own risk tolerance - like for any health problems.

It would also depend on the rules of the countries on the itinerary.

There are many who are ready to get on with their lives after over two years.

Several of the vlogs and blogs have suggested that fear and the consequences of testing positive on  the pre cruise Covid test is one leading barriers to people resuming cruising - not the fear of getting or managing Covid itself. Therapeutics are available now, too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Several of the vlogs and blogs have suggested that fear and the consequences of testing positive on  the pre cruise Covid test is one leading barriers to people resuming cruising - not the fear of getting or managing Covid itself. Therapeutics are available now, too.

Exactly why we cancelled our Reykjavik to Paris cruise for this August back in February.   We were going to fly in a few days early and didn’t want to risk testing positive prior to boarding and then need to quarantine for an unknown amount of time prior to getting back to the US.  Never mind the chance of testing positive prior to flying home.  

We’re really hoping all of this sorts itself out for our 2023 and 2024 cruises. 

Edited by LNielsen
I need to learn to better proofread before hitting save!

7 hours ago, LNielsen said:

We’ve also taken multiple land vacations.   Again,  it’s the thought of flying from the west coast to a far flung location and then being stuck in a hotel room rather  the being on the ship. 

check the countries you going to....  I am flying to Europe next week and  there are no quarantine    there are no special docs or anything,  My euro friends tell me its all over   The airlines do not even want to see a vac card!!!     Only the cruise lines are testing and that is supposed to go away darn soon.   There is no getting stuck in a hotel in  some place. .....maybe the did months ago... but better check today....you may be getting bum scoop....  Fear is your enemy. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

check the countries you going to....  I am flying to Europe next week and  there are no quarantine    there are no special docs or anything,  My euro friends tell me its all over   The airlines do not even want to see a vac card!!!     Only the cruise lines are testing and that is supposed to go away darn soon.   There is no getting stuck in a hotel in  some place. .....maybe the did months ago... but better check today....you may be getting bum scoop....  Fear is your enemy. 

We cancelled in February  prior to our final payment being due basing our decision on what was going in that moment.   Much different time than now with regard to what countries required, testing to get back into the US, and we weren’t interested in what were becoming magical mystery cruises.   As it turns out we are happy we did cancel, one of the highlights for us was to be St.Petersburg.  

It will be, what it will be.

I rather like the idea of knowing that everyone has a negative test. And I say that as someone who was Covid cancelled for our cruise at the beginning of this month. We still have to hear from our travel insurers - we believe we are covered for about two thirds of the costs but travel insurers are sneaky so-and-so's so we're not spending it  till we get it.

By the by, I tested positive on 29/6 (almost certainly a family gathering at a restaurant, as we'd not been anywhere else, being careful knowing the pre-boarding test was upcoming). Took ten days to test negative. Today is the first day when I've not been troubled by an almost continuous cough but I'm still very short of breath and even walking a short distance is a trial. But, at least it is improving, not gettng worse. I am envious of those who have experienced Covid and found it little more troublesome than a cold or mild flu.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LNielsen said:

We cancelled in February  prior to our final payment being due basing our decision on what was going in that moment.   Much different time than now with regard to what countries required, testing to get back into the US, and we weren’t interested in what were becoming magical mystery cruises.   As it turns out we are happy we did cancel, one of the highlights for us was to be St.Petersburg.  

I wish you well in you decisions.....   

Here in Europe we are indeed treating things differently , most Europeans are from childhood ,seasoned Global travellers and we view things quite differently from other countries we are trying to get back to pre covid times. The world will have to live with this virus  together with other tragedies , disasters etc…

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

Portugal is still requiring U.S. to have a negative covid test before entering.  They don't accept the U.S. CDC vac cards.

Hows that going to work if  your sailing to Lisbon on a 14 day cruise ???      and wont accept my vax card...........???   I have 30 days till final...  or cancel.     

Portugal can go pack sand at this stage of things  What next Monkey pox...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Hows that going to work if  your sailing to Lisbon on a 14 day cruise ???      and wont accept my vax card...........???   I have 30 days till final...  or cancel.     

Portugal can go pack sand at this stage of things  What next Monkey pox...

I got the info from the state dept web site and also United Airlines for my flight.  Don't know about sailing into Portugal.

3 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

I got the info from the state dept web site and also United Airlines for my flight.  Don't know about sailing into Portugal.

thanks for the warning  I got 28 days to pull the pin I guess     Called my agent to see whats doing   My vote is skip Portugal .

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

thanks for the warning  I got 28 days to pull the pin I guess     Called my agent to see whats doing   My vote is skip Portugal .

Copied from this link updated

June 23, 2022.   You can click on it for review as I copied only what I felt was pertinent.   There are links provided to other sites including CDC and SEF as well.   

https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Entry and Exit Requirements: PORTUGAL

Opening information US Citizens:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes (Airport temperature scans and random screenings)

Testing / Vaccination requirements for entry: All passengers 12 years old older must present EITHER

1. EU Digital Vaccination Certificate or a certificate if full recovery.
    • Neither the U.S. CDC vaccination card nor the U.S. recovery certificate are accepted as equivalent to the EU Digital Vaccination or Recovery Certificate. As such, U.S. Embassy Lisbon strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens travelling from the United States to Portugal follow option 2below and present a negative COVID test before boarding.; or 
  2. Negative COVD Test
    • PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or
    • Rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding.

For more information, please visit: SEF 

Permission to enter Portugal is the sole responsibility of the Portuguese Government. As part of the admission process prior to boarding flights and at the border, travelers must present written evidence of or the appropriate visa permitting entry to Portugal. Please note that Portuguese Immigration (SEF) does not review evidence and does not make any determination about admission prior to the travelers’ arrival at the border control.

Edited by LNielsen
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LNielsen said:

I would think Oceania would test passengers within the allotted timeframe prior to docking in Portugal as they have been doing for other countries on the ATW.  

Oceania provided free testing onboard for every port that required a negative COIVD test for entry by cruise ship when we were oboard Marina and people currently onboard are reporting the same.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the net effect  I see from all these " restrictions , tests, certificates  etc. is that many Euro cruises are seeing high cancel rates for them     The cruise I am on for 11 months was 100% wait list... within the past month  everything from B4 to PH is now open.......... 

On factor is , even if O tests  passengers getting off., is the excessive costs  involved in getting the tests to get on the ship.!!!. 

Not the  test so much which  can cost $100 or more pp   but the  time , hotel meals taxi etc cost, added air fare for people who  need to meet the 72 hour rule  imposed but owing to where they fly from or days which have to be added several days of costs, just  getting the required tests and  waiting for a report... which can take days..    Big hassle... not what you take a vacation to do.  Takes the fun and enjoyment away

• Like 4