Mariner in Alaska

We just returned from the Mariner in Alaska and, as Platinum Regent cruisers, we have several concerns. We want to know If the many changes we experienced this cruise are reflective of new policies or temporary due to Covid. First, there were no welcome shows, meet the crew, and no cocktail parties the entire cruise. Second, there was no acknowledgement of Seven Seas Society membership other than a form letter in the suite (and a box of candy). Third, there seemed to be no one in charge - no cruise director (until the last 3 days), no executive concierge, no one to greet us. Fourth, there was only one (excellent) person working in destination services. Since half the excursions were cancelled there were long lines every day to rebook. She was amazingly patient and remained calm and took all the time needed with everyone. She was also ashore every day to direct people to their excursions - but she was alone. Fifth, when we asked to speak with any of the officers we were told that they “weren’t available” with no further explanation and no follow up. We never saw the Captain. When we tried to book an appointment with the cruise director we were told that she had lost her voice and would not return from her cabin for the rest of the cruise. The entertainment crew managed to put on a show the last night but the speaker disappeared the last few days and all were replaced by movies. We believe that much of the senior crew was Ill and confined to quarters and the rest of the crew was forbidden to talk about it. Although that would be terrible, we hope that is the answer and not that Regent has substantially reduced the level of service onboard as a cost cutting measure. One more thing, we did not have a butler and neither did many others although we were booked in the class of service that included one. 

we hope someone can clarify the situation.

9 minutes ago, francoamerican said:

We just returned from the Mariner in Alaska and, as Platinum Regent cruisers, we have several concerns. We want to know If the many changes we experienced this cruise are reflective of new policies or temporary due to Covid. First, there were no welcome shows, meet the crew, and no cocktail parties the entire cruise. Second, there was no acknowledgement of Seven Seas Society membership other than a form letter in the suite (and a box of candy). Third, there seemed to be no one in charge - no cruise director (until the last 3 days), no executive concierge, no one to greet us. Fourth, there was only one (excellent) person working in destination services. Since half the excursions were cancelled there were long lines every day to rebook. She was amazingly patient and remained calm and took all the time needed with everyone. She was also ashore every day to direct people to their excursions - but she was alone. Fifth, when we asked to speak with any of the officers we were told that they “weren’t available” with no further explanation and no follow up. We never saw the Captain. When we tried to book an appointment with the cruise director we were told that she had lost her voice and would not return from her cabin for the rest of the cruise. The entertainment crew managed to put on a show the last night but the speaker disappeared the last few days and all were replaced by movies. We believe that much of the senior crew was Ill and confined to quarters and the rest of the crew was forbidden to talk about it. Although that would be terrible, we hope that is the answer and not that Regent has substantially reduced the level of service onboard as a cost cutting measure. One more thing, we did not have a butler and neither did many others although we were booked in the class of service that included one. 

we hope someone can clarify the situation.

There was a massive outbreak of COVID on that sailing...it took out a LOT of the crew and many passengers. Corporate doesn't want the crew releasing info to passengers.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

Pcardad, if that was the situation, then Regent should have communicated clearly to the passengers. This is not acceptable. It is better to deliver bad news honestly than ignore what is obvious. Cancellation of the cruise and subsequent cruises should have been an option. 

• Like 7

Pcardad, thank you for your prompt response. That was our suspicion but we should have been informed and given choices. They have offered a 50%  discount on a future cruise but some sort of refund or the option to reschedule should have been offered.

• Like 1

A family member of mine and the whole group she was traveling with came down with the virus also but no communication to the passengers. I was wondering why the thread started by Cruise Critic Chris sort of faded away with no discussions about the onboard problems.  Very frustrating.

• Like 1

If there was an outbreak of Covid on the Mariner, I am not surprised.  I was on the first Mariner Alaskan cruise in early May.  Very few guests wore masks and there was almost no attention paid to social distancing.  Even on buses very few people wore masks.  The crew was good about wearing masks though.  (But, I have no idea what the situation is in the crew quarters.)

If there was an outbreak, I think Regent should inform guests so that those who are not yet sick can decide how they wish to deal with the outbreak to avoid getting sick. IMO, public health authorities ought to require that ships issue timely warnings about transmissible disease outbreaks during a cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fizzy said:

A family member of mine and the whole group she was traveling with came down with the virus also but no communication to the passengers. I was wondering why the thread started by Cruise Critic Chris sort of faded away with no discussions about the onboard problems.  Very frustrating.

So sorry to hear that.  Has anyone had serious symptoms or needed advanced medical attention?  Hope not.

52 minutes ago, CruisetheCs said:

IMO, public health authorities ought to require that ships issue timely warnings about transmissible disease outbreaks during a cruise.

Could not agree more…should be a requirement given all the various CDC cruise requirements (none of which includes providing passengers with critical onboard info).  But Regent operates in many different jurisdictions so there would be little hope for consistency. 

2 hours ago, francoamerican said:

That was our suspicion but we should have been informed and given choices.

I am a bit surprised that you came to cruise critic to get your suspicion confirmed. This is not a criticism but could there not have been a more direct unofficial way to know while you were onboard?

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Corporate doesn't want the crew releasing info to passengers.

We spent 25 days on the Mariner just prior to the Alaskan season.  We did have an “outbreak” but not to the degree as what is described in this thread.  There was zero mention of Covid during our entire 25 days from anyone official on the ship.  Officers are not allowed to officially communicate anything. 

But we found ways around this:

- I began to specifically ask our butler on a daily basis: 1) how many cases; 2) how many new cases; 3) any crew cases? Etc

- I became more observant: 1) people starting to wear masks that never had before; 2) missing guests/crew (haven’t seen them in several days, where are they?) For ex, the onboard photographer lecturer had his spouse/gf onboard, I hadn’t seen them together and thought she got off…she was in quarantine for 12 days!.

- talk to other guests/crew…news travels fast

59 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Could not agree more…should be a requirement given all the various CDC cruise requirements (none of which includes providing passengers with critical onboard info).  But Regent operates in many different jurisdictions so there would be little hope for consistency. 

I am a bit surprised that you came to cruise critic to get your suspicion confirmed. This is not a criticism but could there not have been a more direct unofficial way to know while you were onboard?

We spent 25 days on the Mariner just prior to the Alaskan season.  We did have an “outbreak” but not to the degree as what is described in this thread.  There was zero mention of Covid during our entire 25 days from anyone official on the ship.  Officers are not allowed to officially communicate anything. 

But we found ways around this:

- I began to specifically ask our butler on a daily basis: 1) how many cases; 2) how many new cases; 3) any crew cases? Etc

- I became more observant: 1) people starting to wear masks that never had before; 2) missing guests/crew (haven’t seen them in several days, where are they?) For ex, the onboard photographer lecturer had his spouse/gf onboard, I hadn’t seen them together and thought she got off…she was in quarantine for 12 days!.

- talk to other guests/crew…news travels fast

You should not have to be a detective to figure these things out.  Regent should be transparent.  Yet one more reason we cancelled all RSSC cruises after the next one in October.  Don’t wish to pay $2K a day for this kind of ‘service’.  

10 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

You should not have to be a detective to figure these things out.  Regent should be transparent.  Yet one more reason we cancelled all RSSC cruises after the next one in October.  Don’t wish to pay $2K a day for this kind of ‘service’.  

Yes, I agree but does that mean we don’t cruise anymore? Regent, SS, and Seabourn all seem to have the same policy, as do other non-luxury lines (which we will not cruise).  And what about land vacations….no one discloses anything! So we choose to be smart and aware during our travels. If that means I need to employ my detective skills then so be it! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Yes, I agree but does that mean we don’t cruise anymore? Regent, SS, and Seabourn all seem to have the same policy, as do other non-luxury lines (which we will not cruise).  And what about land vacations….no one discloses anything! So we choose to be smart and aware during our travels. If that means I need to employ my detective skills then so be it! 

Okay, so we don’t do ‘land vacations’ (and don’t really know what that has to do with this discussion). And what exactly is Regent, SS, and Seabourn’s policy?  Celebrity reports the number of cases to all guests each day.  What exactly does RSSC have to hide?  I’m happy you are ‘being smart’ but I would rather give my money to vendors that are being upfront with me.  

3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

So sorry to hear that.  Has anyone had serious symptoms or needed advanced medical attention?  Hope not.

Thank you for asking.  A couple of semi miserable days upon return home and of course lost time at work.

Wow… very disturbing to read all this. If Regent can’t provide what you have paid for they should cancel cruise and refund monies. We have a cruise in July on the Navigator. ANY issues and we will probably not make final payments on future booked cruises if we keep reading negative cruise experiences. The worst is the lack of honesty about what’s going on with Covid onboard. That’s unacceptable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

If there was an outbreak of Covid on the Mariner, I am not surprised.  I was on the first Mariner Alaskan cruise in early May.  Very few guests wore masks and there was almost no attention paid to social distancing.  Even on buses very few people wore masks.  The crew was good about wearing masks though.  (But, I have no idea what the situation is in the crew quarters.)

From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that even the most scrupulous wearing of masks, whenever and wherever proscribed by Regent onboard the cruise, is NOT going to guarantee you or protect you from possibly testing "positive" for Covid while onboard.  Relying upon mask wearing, by you and others, to "absolutely protect you" from Covid might only provide you with a false sense of security and is probably more "bother/annoyance" than it's worth.

If testing "positive" and/or becoming symptomatic for Covid while cruising, along with the attendant/required quarantining regimen, is worrisome, stressful, or unacceptable to you, then you should probably seriously consider delaying any upcoming cruises until conditions further clarify and resolve themselves.  Regards.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that even the most scrupulous wearing of masks, whenever and wherever proscribed by Regent onboard the cruise, is NOT going to guarantee you or protect you from possibly testing "positive" for Covid while onboard.  Relying upon mask wearing, by you and others, to "absolutely protect you" from Covid might only provide you with a false sense of security and is probably more "bother/annoyance" than it's worth.

If testing "positive" and/or becoming symptomatic for Covid while cruising, along with the attendant/required quarantining regimen, is worrisome, stressful, or unacceptable to you, then you should probably seriously consider delaying any upcoming cruises until conditions further clarify and resolve themselves.  Regards.

I don't believe and never suggested that wearing masks is 100% effective.  If wearing masks was 100% effective the epidemic would not have spread in many areas where masks were required.  But if 95% percent of the population don't wear masks and don't engage in social distancing, and are actively engaging with hundreds of people (versus a few family members), etc., the likelihood of spread of Covid (and some other viruses) is increased.

There is no guarantee that if you follow every precaution as perfectly as you can that you will not become infected.  But if you are surrounded by people who don't follow precautions the likelihood of spread increases.  The same thing might be said of other common infections on ships such as norovirus or flu during flu season.

As for masking, it is obvious that for various reasons  mask wearers experience different levels of discomfort when wearing masks. For some it is not a big deal, for others it is much more troublesome.  

What is important is that guests be aware of their own tolerance for the many Covid-related variables that can occur on a cruise.  If Regent and other lines are not open about what is actually occurring onboard, then potential guests are deprived of crucial information that would go into making an informed individual decision about whether to cruise or not.  

And when guests are onboard, then I think they have every right to know the status of any transmissible infection whether it is norovirus, Covid, flu or anything else.

27 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I've seen very low mask compliance on board where required by law...people think they are too good to follow the rules.

Mask compliance on board has changed a great deal from last fall to now.  When we were on the Splendor last November everyone wore masks in public until we got into the Atlantic.  Even then, most people stayed masked around large groups.  By March, mask wearing was the exception, rather than the rule, on the Mariner.  The crew still wore masks more or less all of the time.  Are the crew still required to wear masks now?  I haven't heard.

Thanks, Norma

1 minute ago, Ladys Mom said:

Mask compliance on board has changed a great deal from last fall to now.  When we were on the Splendor last November everyone wore masks in public until we got into the Atlantic.  Even then, most people stayed masked around large groups.  By March, mask wearing was the exception, rather than the rule, on the Mariner.  The crew still wore masks more or less all of the time.  Are the crew still required to wear masks now?  I haven't heard.

Thanks, Norma

Crew yes. Passengers in ports in Italy and Greece...but they didn't in May and June. Last Dec and Jan = great enforcement. Not so much in the last month. I would no longer sail outside the USA.

Are you saying mask for passengers are still required on the ships in Alaska and the Caribbean sailings.

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Crew yes. Passengers in ports in Italy and Greece...but they didn't in May and June. Last Dec and Jan = great enforcement. Not so much in the last month. I would no longer sail outside the USA.

16 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Then what did you mean no longer sail outside the USA. US river cruises? 

1 minute ago, cwn said:

Then what did you mean no longer sail outside the USA. US river cruises? 

I am sharing my opinion that I am only sailing to and from US ports (MIami) as I have no desire to be stuck in a foreign country due to COVID, flight cancellations, quarantines, etc. I've had 4 cruises since December...I think I will stick to returning to the USA via ship so that I won't get stranded.

• Like 2

francoamerican- Thank you for your in-depth and comprehensive description of events on  this cruise. Very disturbing. Issues that you described need to see the light of day. If passengers aren’t informed of the issues while sailing then maybe CC is in fact an alternative forum to highlight legitimate concerns in the hope they will be addressed on future cruises. Much appreciated.

• Like 1