Seabourn Sojourn 5229A Rome-Rome June 26-July 10-Live

texanaust

17 hours ago, SLSD said:

We are not haters of TK Grill.  We have dined there many times.  There were certain entrees (the chicken for two) that we found inedible because all we could taste was salt.  While we love the Dover sole, the portion for each individual is HUGE.  There is no way we could eat it all.  We hate seeing wasted food.  Also, the side dishes are very rich and also enormous.  When it is just my husband and I dining alone, we can only take two bites each--and the rest is wasted .  We have learned to make our TK Grill reservations for four--banking on the idea that we will meet fellow guests who would like to join us.  Even so, half of the side dishes go uneaten because of their size and richness.  I am NOT a hater, but think there should definitely be some fine tuning of the offerings.  Perhaps it doesn't bother others to waste large quantities of food, but it does bother us.  I do think it is time for the TK Grill to come up with new menu items.  I understand that they have "specials" each evening.  We have availed ourselves of several of them, but have found that they have not measured up (usually) to the always offered entrees.  

By the way, using the word "haters" is seldom accurate.  Nothing is black and white.  

Rest assured my comment wasn’t directed at you; I’m not even aware of any TK comments you might have posted. I was thinking of the “dreadful” and “yuk” comments just above mine.  And yes, we also don’t like to waste food and have some simple workarounds. For example, I’ve ordered their crab cake starter as a main. I’ve ordered the sundae but with just one scoop of ice cream. When possible they will also reduce portion sizes if asked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel4b said:

Rest assured my comment wasn’t directed at you; I’m not even aware of any TK comments you might have posted. I was thinking of the “dreadful” and “yuk” comments just above mine.  And yes, we also don’t like to waste food and have some simple workarounds. For example, I’ve ordered their crab cake starter as a main. I’ve ordered the sundae but with just one scoop of ice cream. When possible they will also reduce portion sizes if asked. 

OK.  I've never said Yuk about the TK Grill.  I have asked for smaller portions sometimes and have been told it could not be done because of Thomas Keller's requirements!  I asked them if they could turn down the music a couple of times--and they have done that--but have told me that Thomas Keller has chosen the music and the volume.  

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

OK.  I've never said Yuk about the TK Grill.  I have asked for smaller portions sometimes and have been told it could not be done because of Thomas Keller's requirements!  I asked them if they could turn down the music a couple of times--and they have done that--but have told me that Thomas Keller has chosen the music and the volume.  

I think some confusion possibly arose about there possibly  being TKG "haters" when you and 3 others upvoted Fletcher's comment, (shown  below), wherein he said "the unchanging menus in the TKG are simply dreadful.  Seabourn should start afresh in this department", which was then followed by another post with the "yuk" etc. comment.

Many SB pax like their large slabs of upscale comfort food 50's style, complete with the loud music, so TK will likely be with us a while.  DH likes it more than I do simply because they make a good steak and he likes the attentive service, not always present in the sometimes chaotic MDR.

Other than the huge portions TK is  hesitant to shrink, already discussed,  like you, I "hate" the loud music, and they  usually refused to turn it down when I asked them to.  YMMV with success on getting the volume down. Again, we prepare before we go  -- if possible, we eat right when they open (so there is less din of loud guests on top of the loud music), sit at a table away from the loudspeakers, and I have even taken to putting in weak ear plugs, to muffle everything a bit (of course that unfortunately also muffles conversation with DH).

I much preferred the prior use of that venue before it went TK, e.g., I think it was called Restaurant 7 (or was it Restaurant 8?), where small portions of several different delicacies were served, with wine pairing options (for extra charge).  That was my idea of a special meal, a meal  I could not  reproduce at home as easily as grilling a prime cut of meat.

777B509A-74CB-4D18-A6B0-279AD7DCD3D6.jpeg

Everyone has different opinions, don't they?  I so much prefer the TK Grill to Restarant2.  I found the former restaurant tasting menu (which it really was) a bit rich.

I also like the TK menu and the fact there's always two 'specials' ... the thing is, I have my favourites in the current TK Grill and I'd be disappointed if they changed it greatly!

I've also never heard or noticed the music at all !    

We're all different aren't we?!  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mauzac said:

Everyone has different opinions, don't they?  I so much prefer the TK Grill to Restarant2.  I found the former restaurant tasting menu (which it really was) a bit rich.

I also like the TK menu and the fact there's always two 'specials' ... the thing is, I have my favourites in the current TK Grill and I'd be disappointed if they changed it greatly!

I've also never heard or noticed the music at all !    

We're all different aren't we?!  😁

We are all different and I actually have one foot in each camp! If forced to choose between the two I would say R2. But I do like TK Grill too.  One of each would make me happy 😄 

When my late husband and I dined in Restaurant 2 for the first time he commented that the decor looked like a bordello in an old western movie - all red velvet and fringe. We thought the tasting menus they served were okay but if I recall correctly they only offered maybe three different menus each week, similar to the variety currently offered at E&O. We far preferred TK to the old R2, especially on the Encore and Ovation with the lovely bar.

We liked both, I really do not understand why some try to book TK every night with the limited  choice un changing menu . We use different venues every night depending on the menu , they all have there plusses and minuses.

The one thing we found was the roast chicken for two in the TK the most over rated dish on the ship.