Seabourn Sojourn 5229A Rome-Rome June 26-July 10-Live

texanaust

The large toiletries were in place on Sojourn during our last cruise. Along with the do not steal notice. They appeared towards the end of the cruise, so that was early January 2020.  I think I mentioned it here at CC at the time. 

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I agree about the entitlement and lack of civilized behavior.  While guests are not expected to clean their own suites, I would think that most would leave them neat and orderly without food on the floor and trash under the bed.  As we always told our children when they were growing up---Class has nothing to do with money.  

My wife and I would always straighten up the room, put things in the trash etc before we left the room. I would always jokingly say that they’re having a contest for the neatest passenger suite, and I want to win.  Bottom line, we pick up after ourselves at home,and the suite is our home away from home.  We used to have a sign in the firehouse, “ Your mother doesn’t work here, clean up your mess”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, texanaust said:

Day 2-Livorno (Florence/Pisa)

I just received a copy of the complimentary wines (see photo).  This list seems a little more extensive than the other one that was recently posted.  

0BF82FE9-62E0-4C43-9715-101B482CCB9F.thumb.jpeg.301841b628849db1febf204991df6e9a.jpeg

A red Louis Latour Chardonnay. That’s a new one for me. 

Edited by labonnevie
Remove excess quote.
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, texanaust said:

I forgot to mention that testing was available at embarkation yesterday.

5BC89EFE-60DA-41CA-AA83-CE4694AC156E.jpeg

What do you mean by "available"?  Were all embarking passengers required to get a rapid test prior to boarding?

4 hours ago, texanaust said:

Molton Brown toiletries are now in large bottles with a warning about stealing them (see photo).

F3D0FACF-64B4-4707-9F28-89AEE5C424F9.thumb.jpeg.beba6e9cf6cede1ff84beb8237c53b54.jpeg

These are the bubble bath/shower gels.  What about the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and body lotion?  Big refillable bottles as well?

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Note my comment on this topic.  Being "low class" has nothing to do with money.  I am still outraged about the chunks of food on the floor and the trash under the bed--the fact that SB guests would leave a suite in that condition!  It's the little things...

My guess is that given all the games and snacks, and stuff shoved under the bed, that suite was occupied by kids or teens.  In the haste of disembarkation, perhaps the  "classy" parents did not think to check their kids' suite nearby before they left, and there's a lot more "education" that needs to happen back home.

If you've ever done a SB cruise at holiday time when extended well-off families are on board (many from certain states and/or certain countries) , you will know there are plenty of kids, and other pax,  who would be likely suspects for what some of us would consider inconsiderate behavior (e.g., people who unnecessarily yell  personal communications at 6:15 AM in the hallways, people who play video games or sports competition video with audio on full blast and no headphones while sitting in the dining room at dinner , people who come to lunch in the MDR wearing thongs revealing dirty toenails, people who rush to sit in the disability seats on tours but then are suddenly spry enough to dash off the bus at view spots and block everyone's view while they use their selfie stick to get the best shots, and of course people who "take over" and block key sun loungers for the whole day or even pay tips to staff to reserve them).

My favorite, however, was not on SB (though it could have been) but on Crystal Endeavor, an expedition ship, when the male teens in a family of 15 decided that in addition to endless yelling, because they were bored  it'd be fun to throw rocks at a bird sitting at the shore on an island, which was a nature preserve.   When they were ultimately told to pipe down, the complainers were accused of being 'culturally insensitive'.

Now that DH and I are retired, we can mostly avoid holiday time cruises.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

My guess is that given all the games and snacks, and stuff shoved under the bed, that suite was occupied by kids or teens.  In the haste of disembarkation, perhaps the  "classy" parents did not think to check their kids' suite nearby before they left, and there's a lot more "education" that needs to happen back home.

You make a lot of excellent points in your post--but I doubt that there were no adults involved in a suite which included diapers/nappies and the game Candyland.  I am continuing to belabor this point because I hope that everyone who posts here realizes that the staff are not our servants--and to leave a disgusting mess (food on the floor and trash all round) is disrespectful. Even a well brought up teen knows that--in spades.  

At the same time, I still find it truly awful that the SB housekeeping staff did not clean this suite.  I would have expected more than some dry cleaning and flowers to make up for it.  We are very low key undemanding passengers, but do expect a certain level of cleanliness and service. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

people who come to lunch in the MDR wearing thongs

I was thinking I had really missed some experiences on my Seabourn cruises until I read the rest of the sentence to realize you meant footwear! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Texanaust, thanks for posting your Seabourn experience.  This has been the most interesting thread I have read in a while!

Regarding the suite condition - the surface trash/condition, while unacceptable should have been easily remedied.  However, my bigger concern would be the condition of the “soft goods” ( carpet, sofa upholstery, mattress, pillows etc). and whether they have been soiled without being noticeably visible.  Sometimes it is the dirt that you don’t see that is worse…especially if diapers are involved (I could be more explicit but I think everyone will understand).  I would ask that the carpet, upholstery, mattress, drapes etc all be steam cleaned or if not possible then request to be moved.  There is nothing worse than having the feeling that your room is not clean.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Texanaust, thanks for posting your Seabourn experience.  This has been the most interesting thread I have read in a while!

Regarding the suite condition - the surface trash/condition, while unacceptable should have been easily remedied.  However, my bigger concern would be the condition of the “soft goods” ( carpet, sofa upholstery, mattress, pillows etc). and whether they have been soiled without being noticeably visible.  Sometimes it is the dirt that you don’t see that is worse…especially if diapers are involved (I could be more explicit but I think everyone will understand).  I would ask that the carpet, upholstery, mattress, drapes etc all be steam cleaned or if not possible then request to be moved.  There is nothing worse than having the feeling that your room is not clean.  

The things that you mention would have caused me to request a change of suites.  This was obviously a suite which required more than a routine cleaning.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

The things that you mention would have caused me to request a change of suites.  This was obviously a suite which required more than a routine cleaning.  

100% agree…but with the suite cleaning standards obviously being lowered (or forgotten), how would we know the new suite would be any better?  The “good thing” of Covid was at least we thought that “hotels” were now being cleaned to a standard that I would use in my own home. Is that currently the case on Seabourn? Would love to hear the company response on that question! 

8 hours ago, texanaust said:

A few 'enhancements' from Seabourn:  No more lux soap (as others have posted). Molton Brown toiletries are now in large bottles with a warning about stealing them (see photo). 

Sorry to say….this new “enhancement” with the large toiletries bottles is tacky…especially the “do not steal, but we can charge them to your account” notice.  Definitely not a luxury experience.  Sounds more like a common 3 or 4 star all inclusive hotel, trying to cut costs.  

58 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Sorry to say….this new “enhancement” with the large toiletries bottles is tacky…especially the “do not steal, but we can charge them to your account” notice.  Definitely not a luxury experience.  Sounds more like a common 3 or 4 star all inclusive hotel, trying to cut costs.  

Like it or not, this is becoming more and more prevalent due to environmental concerns.  Many 5* hotels are changing over to large refillable bottles.

Also, Canada has banned single use plastics:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/news/2021/12/government-of-canada-moving-forward-with-banning-harmful-single-use-plastics0.html

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

Like it or not, this is becoming more and more prevalent due to environmental concerns.  Many 5* hotels are changing over to large refillable bottles.

Also, Canada has banned single use plastics:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/news/2021/12/government-of-canada-moving-forward-with-banning-harmful-single-use-plastics0.html

Using the environmental cause to cut costs is not the same as being environmentally friendly. 

The Canadian legislation is not the same...it is more focused on plastic grocery store bags, take out containers, straws etc as noted in the link you attached. But where we live plastic bags etc are already banned...we take our own reusable bags to the store or you can purchase a paper one. link says:

• In 2020, the Government of Canada conducted an analysis of available data to determine which items meet the requirements for the proposed ban. This analysis identified the following six single-use plastic items that the Government is moving forward to prohibit:

• checkout bags
    • cutlery
    • foodservice ware made from or containing problematic plastics
    • ring carriers
    • stir sticks
    • straws

27 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Using the environmental cause to cut costs is not the same as being environmentally friendly. 

The Canadian legislation is not the same...it is more focused on plastic grocery store bags, take out containers, straws etc as noted in the link you attached. But where we live plastic bags etc are already banned...we take our own reusable bags to the store or you can purchase a paper one. link says:

• In 2020, the Government of Canada conducted an analysis of available data to determine which items meet the requirements for the proposed ban. This analysis identified the following six single-use plastic items that the Government is moving forward to prohibit:

• checkout bags
    • cutlery
    • foodservice ware made from or containing problematic plastics
    • ring carriers
    • stir sticks
    • straws

No need to argue over Canada's legislations.   As I said, more and more brand-conscious luxury hotels are doing away with single-use toiletries.

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

No need to argue over Canada's legislations.   As I said, more and more brand-conscious luxury hotels are doing away with single-use toiletries.

We have definitely noticed that here in Australia in hotels as more people become aware of concerns about small single use plastic bottles and bags. 

• Like 1

ED37D4FC-9F52-4788-9E0C-D73495EDA195.thumb.jpeg.9a28c64969ae762fffe3c34da182cc08.jpeg

Day 3-Portofino

Wow, what a beautiful little hamlet! I’ve attached a few photos, but this stop is definitely a must see. If you can climb uphill, then walking out to the lighthouse is well worth the effort. I can honestly say that Portofino is the nicest place in Italy that I’ve visited so far.

However, after clear skies for four weeks in Italy, the clouds built up, the seas rose and the rain came in…which meant the marina day was cancelled.😞

Last night we had our first meal in the Restaurant. The food quality was excellent, the presentation very good and the wait staff made a good effort with the service. The service was efficient, but perhaps not quite as polished as we have come to expect. I imagine this will improve as the newbies get more experience. I’ve attached a few photos of our meal. I know caviar and Indian doesn’t go together, but we made it work-I wanted to try the Chef’s special and it was excellent. Gluten-free blinis provided as requested. SB also purchased a large quantity of Acqua Panna yesterday, so I am a happy camper. Seabourn’s 6-star service was certainly on display here. 

One thing I have noticed is the make up of Seabourn’s crew has changed dramatically since we last sailed. There are now very few continental Europeans other than those in management positions. The staff is predominantly comprised of nationalities from Africa and the Indian sub-continent. Since the Restaurant is now always closed for breakfast and lunch, I am wondering if maybe they can employ less crew? Overall service is still outstanding. I have never had to ask for a drink refill and there are plenty of pool servers/bar servers that always come around no matter where you sit. 

Update on TK: No more dishes in the Restaurant. Apparently there was too much wastage. I think they have also scaled back the nights in the Colonnade to just AdHoc. The burger and hotdog are on hold until they receive supplies from the US. 

Update on Pool Grill breakfast: See the menu and photos. I think this is a great new spot especially with the Restaurant closed. I had a made to order breakfast burrito with egg, english bacon, cheese, avocado and tomato. 

Update on bread: They now serve you bread instead of giving you a basket. There are rolls and two types of sliced baguette. I think the bread is better than it used to be. Ditto for the bakery items-they just taste better and seem fresher. 

Tonight is formal optional night and we will be dining in the Restaurant. The menu looks excellent and very familiar to those of us who have sailed in the past. All the usual-caviar, twice baked goat’s cheese souffle, maine lobster, beef wellington and the grand marnier soufflé. 

Well that’s it for today!

DD512985-3450-41D0-B39B-4EB9BEEAC3B4.thumb.jpeg.0634422c85bb29df12e393297f78a44a.jpegB6E9D633-4E89-4CEB-8FD2-C59B028E85ED.thumb.jpeg.fbd7723cfa1718d7f8b348c56009ba5a.jpeg0DE49D2E-30A1-4913-9DB0-EFE44B8D9DD5.thumb.jpeg.1dcbe437d93e86df4e3f4325f3a61fb7.jpegE7C64C8A-6587-40FE-A08F-46F779427FF7.thumb.jpeg.725e3a7dfb0c8a4ebcdea58e312862c6.jpeg8B68A51B-8851-4890-B9CD-A3AD5507A129.thumb.jpeg.5ff1c0970fd9c982d7121bf951711067.jpeg59EAB27E-D9C0-4706-9CAB-2167CD7A7C56.thumb.jpeg.4ef9a84844fb8b3f67261ca0b41efc48.jpeg48B31A7F-7661-4E0B-8509-88DAFFF47541.thumb.jpeg.a6ab373c08e822c5a43ecaba5160d76f.jpeg0CFC1C4F-F12E-4573-876A-262F3D4CA45E.thumb.jpeg.6eec159ff2b61a070c0ee159a3dae609.jpegD890CAC3-EF9D-4C6E-AAB5-04D16F9E1828.thumb.jpeg.8fb2e83fe8c52e1b5696fb8cab6565a1.jpegEDADAF1A-7D59-4C9D-B38F-E7413942525C.thumb.jpeg.99a770dddb5be752b84927dbedaf410e.jpeg

129CC594-E7C3-48E7-828E-CF1B4BB14B5D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, cruiseej said:

The large toiletry bottles were in place on the Odyssey last September, so this isn't a change in the past month. And I think they had indicated this was coming back before the pandemic, so this wasn't a Covid byproduct or corporate cost-cutting; it's part of their environmental effort to reduce the waste of hundreds of thousands of plastic bottles. 

But why is the jukebox turned off?

Thank you all for the report. I'm curious though: When we were on the Odyssey last month (LA-Vancouver), we just had the small plastic tubes for Molten Brown. We were in a Veranda suite, so is the larger MB bottles only for the Penthouse (and up) or is it now across all cabins?

• Like 1

Dana, curious if you have noticed difference in caviar served today.   If not, do you make use of side accompaniments?  Have you tried the pizza?

Is this a new Seabourn itinerary?   Spent a week in Portofino a few years ago.  Your comments about trains reminded me of the trip. 

I want to thank you for taking the time to post your observations and photos. We have booked our first Seabourn cruise on Sojourn and have been eagerly awaiting reviews.  Hoping that our trip will be a wonderful introduction to Seabourn!

23 hours ago, texanaust said:

Day 2-Livorno (Florence/Pisa)

Last night's dinner in TK was fantastic.  We shared the Dover Sole and the NY Strip-both were divine and the service was impeccable.  Seabourn excels with catering to coeliacs and the special bread brought out for Mrs Texanaust was apparently the best she's tasted in years.  We had never dined in TK on the smaller ships, but the setting seems more intimate, almost like a railway carriage.

After dinner we went to the Club and then outside on the rear deck for a DJ party. One change to note is that the Jukebox has been permanently switched off (on all ships).  If you liked having music between sets or at other times of the day, then like me you'll be a little disappointed.  On the plus side, these DJ on the rear deck parties will provide some modern music for those wanting something a little newer than Buddy Holly and Chubby Checker.

This morning we were up early to view our arrival into Livorno while exercising on deck.  Many guests left early for full day excursions to Firenze.  Not us, and with 36 degree temps today we decided to enjoy the ship.

We had a very good breakfast via room service.  Everything was good quality and they seem to have upsized their bagels which taste much better than before.  On the subject of breakfast, the Pool Grill is open and has plenty of new healthy options.  We will be testing the options tomorrow, so I will take some photos.  Lunch was at the Colonnade.  The quality of the salads has definitely improved.  There are many choices and all the vegetables are tasty and fresh.  TK burgers/hotdogs are off the menu currently due to 'supply constraint issues.'

Back to the suite problems ...everything is clean now.  We have been given some free drycleaning and a flower arrangement as an apology.  If you have a problem with SB, my advice is to act early and bring the issue to the attention of guest relations as soon as possible.  We did not ask to be moved and to be honest, we are not big complainers.  We were however taken very seriously and I have had numerous officers stop me around the ship to apologise.

Tomorrow is Portofino and they will be doing a Marina day.😁

A few 'enhancements' from Seabourn:  No more lux soap (as others have posted). Molton Brown toiletries are now in large bottles with a warning about stealing them (see photo).  No printouts of any kind unless specifically requested (the exception being advertisements from the spa).

I just received a copy of the complimentary wines (see photo).  This list seems a little more extensive than the other one that was recently posted.  Dinner in the Restaurant tonight.  Well that's it for Day 2...

CA304992-0AC7-44E0-8F4E-12D704485610.thumb.jpeg.50ab416ab3d5299eb20a74f5e1790841.jpeg22C66CD8-C697-48F7-950F-A1C3E001B541.thumb.jpeg.b92b3550d598ea14d590e163849b077e.jpeg99816205-7154-4BB3-A6C9-6E503A9F56B6.thumb.jpeg.297e0be0d2aa469f7b0583e191689dd1.jpeg29873415-5214-4B8B-9219-D3CB6056AA94.thumb.jpeg.ca5685719f372728345d9debd5e03f54.jpeg0BF82FE9-62E0-4C43-9715-101B482CCB9F.thumb.jpeg.301841b628849db1febf204991df6e9a.jpegF3D0FACF-64B4-4707-9F28-89AEE5C424F9.thumb.jpeg.beba6e9cf6cede1ff84beb8237c53b54.jpeg

No refillable bottles on the Quest. 

No warning notice either.

Shall we FedEx?  😘20220628_151758.thumb.jpg.e2b6f141b86143ad612a4c7e718cbd48.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cybercsp said:

I want to thank you for taking the time to post your observations and photos. We have booked our first Seabourn cruise on Sojourn and have been eagerly awaiting reviews.  Hoping that our trip will be a wonderful introduction to Seabourn!

We are also first time Seabourn cruisers and find this most helpful.  Thank you for doing this. Safe and happy travels!

We just disembarked in Rome on Sunday, having been aboard for 20 nights - since the relaunch in Athens. At this point we have 60 nights on Seabourn - so far from the top tier but not newcomers either.  With the exception of a (very) few hiccups, I thought the crew was outstanding, not even considering that it was Sojourn's first voyage post-Covid.   I see you had Diego perform the surgery on your Dover Sole.  He was great - part of a very polished team at TK, along with Waldo, Anastasiia and Dyns.  The last two really won us over as they are Ukrainians working under obviously very stressful circumstances.   Of course, there were too many others throughout the ship to mention them all.

As for the condition of your suite, that's certainly disappointing.  By any chance, are you on deck 5 starboard, somewhere between 521 and 523?  

@jdk-atlga All cabins have these large bottle.  6 of them.

@saminina Caviar tasted fine, but we haven’t travelled for two years so cannot remember.  It looks lighter in colour than before.  Pizza is good, but not like the stuff I had in Naples (Napoli) recently.

@travel4b Yes, close to those numbers.  Any idea what was going on?

19 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I was thinking I had really missed some experiences on my Seabourn cruises until I read the rest of the sentence to realize you meant footwear! 🤣

Sounds More like  St Tropez than Seabourn