Medically supervised or proctored self-tests will not be accepted in Greece?

We’re scheduled to board the Jade in Athens the middle of November and just read this “interesting” pre-cruise testing requirement limitation, which no other cruise line we cruise with stipulates. Now, it’s awhile before our ship sails, but it got us to thinking. We can use one of our home tests before we leave to make sure we don’t have C19, then get the NCL sponsored antigen test administered for free at the pier.

In addition this might explain why when some passengers checked in at the Athens terminal prior to boarding, they were issued the antigen test regardless of whether or not they had the results of a valid (medically supervised or proctored test) in hand.

Or are we reading this wrong?? 🤔

For cruises embarking in Greece: all guests ages 2 and older must show proof of negative NAAT (PCR) performed 72 hours prior to embarkation or Antigen test performed 48 hours prior to embarkation. Medically supervised or proctored self-tests will not be accepted. If guest does not show proof of a valid test, an antigen test will be administered at the terminal covered by Norwegian.

http://ncl-drupal6.ncl.com:9050/travel-requirements-by-country

Edited by Ken the cruiser

we sailed on the jade from athens last april 8th. stayed overnight at the athens marriott. so remeber that if you are leaving from a foreign port,  the requirement in a negative covid test 72 hrs prior to sailing. we got ours on the 5th of april.

there is a testing sight right in the athens airport just before the baggage claim. also if you are going in a day or more early, at the athens marriott,  there is a hospital right next door. it took about 20 minutes to get a covid test and results. mind you at that time we needed the negative test to be allowed back on the plane to the u.s.

finally, we had to go through another covid test at the pier, prior to being allowd to board.

so dont worry, there are many ways to skin this cat

13 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we sailed on the jade from athens last april 8th. stayed overnight at the athens marriott. so remeber that if you are leaving from a foreign port,  the requirement in a negative covid test 72 hrs prior to sailing. we got ours on the 5th of april.

there is a testing sight right in the athens airport just before the baggage claim. also if you are going in a day or more early, at the athens marriott,  there is a hospital right next door. it took about 20 minutes to get a covid test and results. mind you at that time we needed the negative test to be allowed back on the plane to the u.s.

finally, we had to go through another covid test at the pier, prior to being allowd to board.

so dont worry, there are many ways to skin this cat

I guess I’m wondering if Greece doesn’t require a negative test anymore to fly into Athens, why not just wait to take the “free” antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding? 

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess I’m wondering if Greece doesn’t require a negative test anymore to fly into Athens, why not just wait to take the “free” antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding? 

From the US Embassy in Greece website:  https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/#:~:text=Entry Restrictions to Greece Relaxed,SARS-CoV-2 infection.

So you no longer need to test to enter the country. 

However, "Must" and "Should" are two different issues:  I would take a test before I left for Greece, simply because it would suck to be in a strange country, come up positive, and not be able to board.  At that point, being pretty confident that I was still negative a day or two later, I would opt for the antigen test at the port rather than try to find a PCR test.  Remember, a PCR might still show a positive if you've recently recovered; an antigen will not.  So unless you had a recent negative PCR, I'd stick with antigen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It is an option. Nothing is ever really "free". The last time we did a NCL-sponsored test at the terminal, the whole process took over 2 hours,,, waiting in line to get a test and then waiting for result. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

We did NCL Jade out of Pireaus 3 weeks ago.  We did not do any tests prior to coming to the pier.  EVERYONE had to go through Eurofin's screening.  

How was the cruise? We are thinking of booking it for August. Did you go to Ephesus?

12 hours ago, Jenjohncourt said:

How was the cruise? We are thinking of booking it for August. Did you go to Ephesus?

The cruise was wonderful.  Exceeded all expectations.  

Yes, we did Ephesus (the only one with a tour group).  We also did Patmos, Rhodes, Mykonos, Kefalonia, Corfu, and Santorini.  Did something different on each port.

• Thanks 1