Transfer initial deposit to a different cruise?

FolsomMike

I looked on their site and cannot find an answer to this specific question…After booking a cruise directly by phone a few days ago, we became aware of another Oceania cruise with a better itinerary; both leave next May. I’ll call them tomorrow but does anyone know if they will let us directly transfer our $1500. Deposit to the new cruise or will we have to request a refund and make a new payment? Also, will we really have to make the cancellation request “in Writing” and if so, how long will that process take?

My TA usually handles any cancellations we have done so not sure it needs to be in writing or not

I am sure they will advise you

IME when you cancel they refund the deposit & you book the other cruise with a new deposit

2 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

I looked on their site and cannot find an answer to this specific question…After booking a cruise directly by phone a few days ago, we became aware of another Oceania cruise with a better itinerary; both leave next May. I’ll call them tomorrow but does anyone know if they will let us directly transfer our $1500. Deposit to the new cruise or will we have to request a refund and make a new payment? Also, will we really have to make the cancellation request “in Writing” and if so, how long will that process take?

All this depends on the circumstances. 

If you’re using a TA, that is who you’ll need to contact. The right TA can work wonders and do so quickly.

If you’re not using a TA (or have yet to transfer a directly booked cruise within the allowable 30 day window), call Oceania reservations. Explain the circumstances and ask nicely. I’ve only done this once before (when I knew O would have to cancel my booked cruise). And, because, I have an established connection with one particular (long serving) O rep, he put me on hold while he got the OK for a transfer to the almost identical cruise a year later. 

Bottom line: O is known for a degree of reasonable flexibility for making policy exceptions. Likewise, I recommend having multiple avenues to get what you want/need.

FWIW: we have 2-3 trustworthy TAs (important in this Covid-fueled uncertain TA situation which has hastened many “retirements”) and, still, we most often initially book direct with O (onboard for those perks or direct to maintain a good O direct contact) and then transfer to a TA within the allowable window. If nothing else, establishing a working relationship with the right O phone rep adds another option to getting things right/fixed (particularly when it comes to add-ons like tours). AND we never book a cruise on the O website nor do we usually buy O tours that way. We use the shore excursions PDF for planning, then do a mock web purchase to see if our math for O Life and YWYW jives with the web bottom line. (BTW, note that you can’t book more than one tour per day on the web and the web tour listings are not always up-to-date). 

BTW: Though not your current case, it’s worth mentioning for the future that one of O’s book onboard perks is an allowance to switch the booked cruise to a different one.

Also, for the future, consider giving yourself an “out” by initially requesting a “hold,” which requires no deposit, can be done by either a TA or an O phone rep and can be active for several days (I’ve had them up to a week).

• Like 1

I’ve done this.  No problems with transferring deposit to a new booking after canceling an existing one.  Whether extra deposit might be due on the new booking will depend on  if the new cruise is a grand voyage (multiple cruises sold as one) or a single cruise as your initial booking seems to be.

The only thing I would caution you on is to look at the provisions of any trip insurance you have or intend to get. Some policies don’t recognize a “transfer” as the initial deposit so just read the fine print. 

I was surprised when I saw this on a policy. 

I did this in 2021 guessing the cruise would most likely soon be cancelled which it ultimately was. The deposit was simply transferred to the same itinerary in 2022 without any problem or delay.  I called O directly and it did not have to be requested in writing.  I don't know how this would be handled today, now that cruises are not being cancelled.

3 hours ago, Cheesi said:

The only thing I would caution you on is to look at the provisions of any trip insurance you have or intend to get. Some policies don’t recognize a “transfer” as the initial deposit so just read the fine print. 

I was surprised when I saw this on a policy. 

I agree

we had changed a cruise  pre covid & had a right ding dong with the insurance to change the dates  even though we were still going in the  same city & date  but the cruise was longer  by 4-5 days  so had to get permission  etc..

In the end it worked out  but  it took several calls to the ins company 

16 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Your agent can do it in seconds...  No need to call.  for either a transfer or a cancel.  That why you use an agent !!!

23 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

I called O and they transferred my deposit to the new cruise no questions asked. I’m very impressed with their customer service. 

Mike....you realize that by booking direct how much your loosing ?      Benefit's, OBC's   discounts, cash rebates that agents can giv eyou ???       Id think long and hard  about booking direct... as you loose way more than you will ever dream.