Walking in Gibraltar

Could anyone please give me any information on walking in Gibraltar.

We have done the rock before, and would like to walk around Gibraltar this time, if possible.

Are there any maps available at the port ?

thank you in advance.

We were there the end of May.  We walked to the base cable car station and took the cable car to the top.  Then we zigzagged across the rock taking in the sights and worked our way back down to the downtown area and then back to the port.

I think it was quite a walk into town from port but we were on Celebrity and the ship was huge. Not sure if this makes a difference. This was approx 7 years ago.

We took a taxi to the town and walked around from there. Just returned to the taxi rank and got a taxi back to ship. 
However we always cruise in school holidays and it can be very warm hence the use of taxi’s

There are tourist offices at the cruise terminal, and the main office in "The Piazza", behind City Hall which is halfway up Main Street.

Maps should be available at both.

Maps of Gibraltar can be misleading because of the steep sides of The Rock, roads which appear to be close together may have elevations which are hundreds of feet different.

But the town is very simple, and - importantly - on level ground.

Almost everything of interest in town in Gib. is on or just off Main Street.

Follow the herd from the cruise terminal to Casemates Square, a direct 15 - 20 minute walk.

It's a large open square enclosed by defensive walls & lined with bars, cafes & shops.

Casemates Square is at the bottom (northern) end of Main Street, which is part-pedestrianised and lined with shop, cafes & pubs.

Most of the shops sell duty-free goods, particularly electronics, alcohol & tobacco.

Prices are not regulated, and do vary so hunt for the best prices. They may be shown in pounds  or euros or both, and value may be different so go armed with current £ to € exchange rates. 

Both currencies are accepted everywhere, cards almost everywhere - if using a card check the POS machine to ensure that your card is charged in the currency that's advertised (and the best value if dual-priced) or which you've negotiated.

If using cash, avoid getting Gib pounds in your change. Altho a Gib pound is 1:1 with the British pound, and you can buy with British pounds, Gib pounds aren't accepted in the UK. 

Be very aware that for electronics, Gib. is a dumping-ground for last-year's models. If you're planning to buy go armed with model numbers and photos and current prices at home - there will be bargains & there will be rip-offs.

Minor Main Street sights include the Governor's Residence and at the far end of Main Street, on the left, outside the South Bastion gate the little Trafalgar Cemetery. This has the graves of sailors who died of their wounds in Nelson's victory at Cape Trafalgar (those who died in the battle were buried at sea).

Five minutes past the South Bastion, after the large carpark & cable-car base station, are Gibraltar's Botanical Gardens.

15 minutes beyond the Gardens (don't get lost) is the Victorian 100-ton gun at Napier of Magdala Battery, overlooking Rosia Bay harbour.

Everywhere I've mentioned is on level ground.

https://goo.gl/maps/4xmet7BwnXo7npyM6

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, cath32 said:

We were there the end of May.  We walked to the base cable car station and took the cable car to the top.  Then we zigzagged across the rock taking in the sights and worked our way back down to the downtown area and then back to the port.

We are considering doing this as well. Would you mind telling me what all that you were able to see? I really don't care about seeing the Apes, but I want to see everything else. 🙂

Also, is there a great place to eat in town? Thank you!

On 7/5/2022 at 7:19 AM, John Bull said:

There are tourist offices at the cruise terminal, and the main office in "The Piazza", behind City Hall which is halfway up Main Street.

Maps should be available at both.

Maps of Gibraltar can be misleading because of the steep sides of The Rock, roads which appear to be close together may have elevations which are hundreds of feet different.

But the town is very simple, and - importantly - on level ground.

Almost everything of interest in town in Gib. is on or just off Main Street.

Follow the herd from the cruise terminal to Casemates Square, a direct 15 - 20 minute walk.

It's a large open square enclosed by defensive walls & lined with bars, cafes & shops.

Casemates Square is at the bottom (northern) end of Main Street, which is part-pedestrianised and lined with shop, cafes & pubs.

Most of the shops sell duty-free goods, particularly electronics, alcohol & tobacco.

Prices are not regulated, and do vary so hunt for the best prices. They may be shown in pounds  or euros or both, and value may be different so go armed with current £ to € exchange rates. 

Both currencies are accepted everywhere, cards almost everywhere - if using a card check the POS machine to ensure that your card is charged in the currency that's advertised (and the best value if dual-priced) or which you've negotiated.

If using cash, avoid getting Gib pounds in your change. Altho a Gib pound is 1:1 with the British pound, and you can buy with British pounds, Gib pounds aren't accepted in the UK. 

Be very aware that for electronics, Gib. is a dumping-ground for last-year's models. If you're planning to buy go armed with model numbers and photos and current prices at home - there will be bargains & there will be rip-offs.

Minor Main Street sights include the Governor's Residence and at the far end of Main Street, on the left, outside the South Bastion gate the little Trafalgar Cemetery. This has the graves of sailors who died of their wounds in Nelson's victory at Cape Trafalgar (those who died in the battle were buried at sea).

Five minutes past the South Bastion, after the large carpark & cable-car base station, are Gibraltar's Botanical Gardens.

15 minutes beyond the Gardens (don't get lost) is the Victorian 100-ton gun at Napier of Magdala Battery, overlooking Rosia Bay harbour.

Everywhere I've mentioned is on level ground.

https://goo.gl/maps/4xmet7BwnXo7npyM6

JB 🙂

Thank you for all the great information! Do you have a favorite restaurant in town?  I bet you are a fish and chips connoisseur. Are there any places that you could recomend?

8 minutes ago, Cruisini said:

Thank you for all the great information! Do you have a favorite restaurant in town?  I bet you are a fish and chips connoisseur. Are there any places that you could recomend?

Been a long time since but

- there's a concentration of  cafes & restaurants in Casemates Square - they mainly offer "tourist-fodder, but because it's a dedicated fish-and-chippie Roy's Fish & Chips is hopefully better than the usual bought-in ready-battered ready-frozen fish and frozen fries you'd likely find from outlets in the Square with a broad menu.

https://gibraltar.com/en/travel/restaurants-bars/roys-fish-and-chips.php

- near the other end of Main Street & opposite the Governor's residence, The Angry Friar was always my choice of a pub It also provides good snacks & meals

https://maps.app.goo.gl/icFSA6PJvQbGXEyx5

https://gibraltar.com/en/travel/restaurants-bars/the-angry-friar.php

JB 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisini said:

We are considering doing this as well. Would you mind telling me what all that you were able to see? I really don't care about seeing the Apes, but I want to see everything else. 🙂

Also, is there a great place to eat in town? Thank you!

Wow…this was awhile ago, but I do have some notes and a brochure filed.

I found this link - https://gibraltarinfo.gi/top-10-attractions/

At the bottom is a map.  I think we visited most listed on our walk down.

We walked from the ship to the cable car base station and took the cable car to the top.

We headed in the direction of the Skywalk first.  Then we did the side-hike to O’hara’s battery.  After that we headed down towards St Michael’s Cave.  Then we headed back towards the other side to visit the tunnels.  I believe we saw the Moorish Castle, but were pretty hot and tired, and I don’t think we visited it.  From that point we just went down lots of stairs to get back to the main town.

We did encounter apes along our route.

I can’t advise on eating.  We stopped at a pub for a beer and then headed back to the ship.

Enjoy your time.  It was a fun day!

• Like 1