How bad if we didnt complete online check in?

We were having a hard time with the online check in with 3 cabins and me booking them all for our family of 7 under my email, so it was a mess and everyone was supposed to create their own accounts etc just to check in (on other lines I am able to just do everything for everyone), we just realized this the other, so some things were  missing a check mark here and there and now we are within the 72 hour mark which I found out this morning is the cut off..is this a big deal?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

We were having a hard time with the online check in with 3 cabins and me booking them all for our family of 7 under my email, so it was a mess and everyone was supposed to create their own accounts etc just to check in (on other lines I am able to just do everything for everyone), we just realized this the other, so some things were  missing a check mark here and there and now we are within the 72 hour mark which I found out this morning is the cut off..is this a big deal?  Thanks

Do it at the port, you’ll be fine 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

This.  You'll just have some grumpy people behind you in line going "Why didn't they take care of this online?"  😜😃

if one does not care what other people think, not a worry in the world

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

IME, when one does not care, one does not even ask. 😉

Well I sort of agree, though it is CC where people "care" about the really important stuff, ya know, like the silverware is to large/heavy, the sofa isn't comfortable, table numbers and the like 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Do it at the port, you’ll be fine 

Agreed.  Actually, I'm often surprised at how ill-prepared many people are for their cruise vacations.  Maybe I'm TOO much of a planner...but I see people posting things like "My family and I are on our first cruise in 3 days, and we really have no idea what to expect.  Will they give us food or should we bring our own?  Are we allowed to bring luggage on board, and if so, can I bring my propane fired gas grill to put on our balcony in case I want to make hamburgers?"  Slightly exaggerated example, of course.  But people are often ill-prepared and I think boards like this (which are GREAT, by the way) give us this idea that every person is incredibly on the ball about everything, and if we miss one little nuance, we're totally screwed.  I hate missing those nuances, myself...but then when I get on board, I see how very lost and clueless so many are.  Yet, they are also obviously having a great time.  So I think having to complete your check in at the port is pretty minor!

• Haha 3

OP....if you're still in the 3 day check in window, go ahead and get the check in done.  If some in your group won't cooperate, leave them on their own to figure it out.

That way, you can board, get a cocktail, and have fun.  While, the lollygaggers fumble around trying to figure out what to do at the last minute.

A pet peeve of mine....getting everything booked and prepared, while others in my party won't even do the bare minimum to get themselves checked in. It holds up the planner and those who are trying to check in behind them.  Just flat out inconsiderate, or lazy, or both.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rmurray847 said:

Actually, I'm often surprised at how ill-prepared many people are for their cruise vacations.  Maybe I'm TOO much of a planner...but I see people posting things like "My family and I are on our first cruise in 3 days, and we really have no idea what to expect. 

There are two types of people in this world.  Those who read the instructions and those who don't.   I think it's about 20/80.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmurray847 said:

Agreed.  Actually, I'm often surprised at how ill-prepared many people are for their cruise vacations.  Maybe I'm TOO much of a planner...but I see people posting things like "My family and I are on our first cruise in 3 days, and we really have no idea what to expect.  Will they give us food or should we bring our own?  Are we allowed to bring luggage on board, and if so, can I bring my propane fired gas grill to put on our balcony in case I want to make hamburgers?"  Slightly exaggerated example, of course.  But people are often ill-prepared and I think boards like this (which are GREAT, by the way) give us this idea that every person is incredibly on the ball about everything, and if we miss one little nuance, we're totally screwed.  I hate missing those nuances, myself...but then when I get on board, I see how very lost and clueless so many are.  Yet, they are also obviously having a great time.  So I think having to complete your check in at the port is pretty minor!

I'm like you.  I like to be prepared (over prepared perhaps?), but there are a lot of people who look at vacations as an adventure and want everything to be new and surprising.  You always hear stories about people who pack a suitcase, take the next flight to somewhere and just go.   I could never do that.   But, I'm surprised that those people would even look at a forum like this.  I guess they need to know some minor details.

As to annoying people online because you didn't complete your pre-board check-in, my experience at the ports I've embarked from is that you get on ONE line and there's a number of people lined up behind the counter, probably 20 or more and when one opens up you go to that one.  So, as someone waiting online, it's doubtful you'd even KNOW if someone is holding up the line because they didn't do their paperwork.   I think it's just not a big deal.  With that said, if EVERYONE didn't do their paperwork, then yeah, the lines would get really long.   For the OP, just do the best you can, and if you can't , that's why they are their to help.  Not everyone is tech savvy enough to complete these things.  I know my wife gets really frustrated with it.  I know I'VE had issues with online check in because some things are just very clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petuniaflower said:

Thanks all! 

Usually an over planner here, but it is what it is this time..

Is there anything at all I should print out, my ressie booking at least I guess?

Yes, print out your ressie.

Often they will ask to see the reservation when going into the terminal building.

No worries about the check-in thing. Just make sure you have all of your documents, passport etc with you to show them.

Have fun!!! 😊

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There are two types of people in this world.  Those who read the instructions and those who don't.   I think it's about 20/80.

I would say that there are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary math and those who don't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I would say that there are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary math and those who don't.

I see what you did there!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steveknj said:

I'm like you.  I like to be prepared (over prepared perhaps?), but there are a lot of people who look at vacations as an adventure and want everything to be new and surprising.  You always hear stories about people who pack a suitcase, take the next flight to somewhere and just go.   I could never do that.   But, I'm surprised that those people would even look at a forum like this.  I guess they need to know some minor details.

As to annoying people online because you didn't complete your pre-board check-in, my experience at the ports I've embarked from is that you get on ONE line and there's a number of people lined up behind the counter, probably 20 or more and when one opens up you go to that one.  So, as someone waiting online, it's doubtful you'd even KNOW if someone is holding up the line because they didn't do their paperwork.   I think it's just not a big deal.  With that said, if EVERYONE didn't do their paperwork, then yeah, the lines would get really long.   For the OP, just do the best you can, and if you can't , that's why they are their to help.  Not everyone is tech savvy enough to complete these things.  I know my wife gets really frustrated with it.  I know I'VE had issues with online check in because some things are just very clear.

You can always tell the person/people/families who weren’t prepared.  They’re the ones dominating one (or more) checkin personnel at a station.  There’s always confusion, papers and phones flying every where, etc.  

How bad it is matters on perspective and opinion. 

To me, it's terrible.   It means you have to spend longer talking to someone face to face.  Sometimes they aren't the friendliest or best informed.   Plus, I sorta don't like people.   😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 6/30/2022 at 6:15 AM, graphicguy said:

You can always tell the person/people/families who weren’t prepared.  They’re the ones dominating one (or more) checkin personnel at a station.  There’s always confusion, papers and phones flying every where, etc.  

But so what?  For me waiting online, it means nothing, there's always another booth opening up.  It's probably the difference in waiting time like a minute or two.   Again, if nobody was prepared, it could be chaos.  If a few people didn't complete their paperwork ahead of time for whatever reason.  No big deal for me waiting.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:12 AM, Yesimapirate said:

How bad it is matters on perspective and opinion. 

To me, it's terrible.   It means you have to spend longer talking to someone face to face.  Sometimes they aren't the friendliest or best informed.   Plus, I sorta don't like people.   😉

If that person was you who didn't complete their paperwork, then sure, you're going to have to wait longer at checkin.  For me, the person behind you?  I'll just go to the next available agent.  No big deal to me.   I agree.  I'd rather be ready and prepared, but not everyone has the capacity to do that, for lots of reasons.  

To me it is annoying to see unprepared people at the check in desk. I try to be patient because stuff happens, but it does hold up everyone. If you did the best you could, then it is what it is. It can be frustrating when your check in is incomplete because you missed clicking on one thing, but it sounds like some of the OPs group didn't try that hard.

I would suggest that the OP have all the reservation numbers handy, and tell the other family members to be prepared with their identification and whatever card they are going to use for their on board accounts as they approach the check in desk.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:59 PM, petuniaflower said:

Thanks all! 

Usually an over planner here, but it is what it is this time..

Is there anything at all I should print out, my ressie booking at least I guess?

i mean it’s not like you didn’t try…honestly NCL’s app is…questionably stable at the best of times, so you aren’t going to be the first person they see at the port that day who wanted to check in, but couldn’t (basically it’s a living nightmare for anyone who booked more than one cabin)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steveknj said:

If that person was you who didn't complete their paperwork, then sure, you're going to have to wait longer at checkin.  For me, the person behind you?  I'll just go to the next available agent.  No big deal to me.   I agree.  I'd rather be ready and prepared, but not everyone has the capacity to do that, for lots of reasons.  

Unless you’re the person/family far back in line, and you see all the people who don’t have their docs/checkin together and dominate kiosk after kiosk taking 2X/3X as long to check in, causing the big back up.

when we arrive at the port I even have our passports open to the photo page with all and any paperwork bookmarking the passport. However, not everyone knows the deal or is computer savvy enough to even register online. some might not have a printer.  i always seem to be in back of those folks online.  But, we just deal with it, what else can you do.   

On 7/2/2022 at 9:40 AM, graphicguy said:

Unless you’re the person/family far back in line, and you see all the people who don’t have their docs/checkin together and dominate kiosk after kiosk taking 2X/3X as long to check in, causing the big back up.

It might annoy you, but in the scheme of things, what are we talking, 15 extra minutes if that?  You're on vacation, chill out!! 🙂