“Have it all” included wifi experience

rubytue

Can you connect 2 devices at the same time? On NCL, the cheaper wifi packages were one device at a time, so would would have to disconnect to connect up the other. 

Also, I know it’s not the streaming package. So no streaming movies, which is fine. But my H listens to audiobooks from the library, which stream audio. Much less bandwidth than a movie. But are “streaming apps” blocked. Specific app is Overdrive or Libby.  Similar question on the peloton app. I can preload the workouts so they aren’t streaming. But it needs to talk to the mothership for licensing reasons. 

Anyone know if they block steaming by blocking traffic related to certain websites/apps? And if those are in the block list?

14 minutes ago, rubytue said:

Can you connect 2 devices at the same time? On NCL, the cheaper wifi packages were one device at a time, so would would have to disconnect to connect up the other. 

Can’t help with your other question but for devices - only one device at a time.  It works just like it did on NCL.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rubytue said:

HAL's Internet package is indeed for one device per account. However, you can add more devices for a fee.

With the HIA package, the first 2 passengers in a stateroom each have the Surf Internet package. So both DH and I were able to use the Internet at the same time without paying an additional fee.

Neither one of us use streaming Websites, so I can't answer other questions.

• Like 2

At your first internet login once on board, you can upgrade to the Premium Package which does allow streaming.  I watched a family enjoying the Nieuw Amsterdam hot tub and passing a tablet around so that each member could wave to and chat with their mother back home.

I experimented on my last two days at sea in the Caribbean with upgrading to Premium and adding more devices (adds only in increments of three for additional $10/day).  The change in download speed was at least double with the Premium Package and I found no blocked websites.  I connected all of my devices and did not worry about which one was the "active"device. 

With internet satellites circling only over the equator, internet speed in Alaska is less than optimal and connections are often spotty.  Upgrading to the Premium plan may not make a difference.

• Like 2

Regarding the Libby App.  My wife just downloaded an audio book in about 5 minutes from the MDR and we are in the open sea between Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Island.  However, there’s no reason you shouldn’t download what you need from home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Regarding the Libby App.  My wife just downloaded an audio book in about 5 minutes from the MDR and we are in the open sea between Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Island.  However, there’s no reason you shouldn’t download what you need from home.

Ooo. Good to know. I’ll have to make him look that he is downloading. He told me he thinks it doesn’t download, but streams. But, neither of our tech skills were what they once were, so it’s possible it’s downloaded and he doesn’t know 😂

Not sure about Libby but Overdrive does download the book. Look under your Downloads. He should be able to "listen" to his books. My wife and I both use Overdrive and she was able to listen to her books while on our Circle Hawaii cruise and I was able to download a new book, to read. He might be better off by downloading at least one book just prior to the cruise departure, and if he needs another when you are in port try downloading then. 

• Like 1

I use Libby to listen to audio books. They are downloaded, not streamed. Test it out by turning off your Wi-Fi to see that you can still listen. Check with the staff at your library for clarification. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dunmore2 said:

I use Libby to listen to audio books. They are downloaded, not streamed. Test it out by turning off your Wi-Fi to see that you can still listen. Check with the staff at your library for clarification. 

I channeled my inner 20-something IT gal (I actually did work in software development in my 20s, Win95 era), grabbed his phone, and found the settings option in the app. There actually is an option to always stream, but the default was set to download. Yay! And I confirmed he uses Libby (I still use overdrive to get ebooks, even though my library is trying to push us toward Libby).

So, Libby is solved! This was really the big one. We both got Michener’s Alaska to read on the trip (to Alaska). Me book version, him audio. I’m hoping we can have our own balcony book club. Michener is about the only genre overlap we have. 😂

I’m also downloading a bunch of peloton workouts. Mostly yoga and stretching. Mostly in case one or both of us ends up in quarantine so we have something to do. And I think if you download, the app just pings the mothership for licensing reasons. You know, to make sure you didn’t download the whole library and then cancel the service. 

Edited by rubytue
  • Like 2

On Libby/Overdrive and other library apps you can download the books from the library to avoid streaming. There is a small cloud icon with an arrow to do this.  They are auto deleted when the borrowing period expires. If this happens, I re-borrow and download them again while in port on wifi.  Hope this helps.