Scenic River Cruise - Budapest Docking

Camille11

Can anyone provide any insight on where Scenic is docking in Budapest this year?  When I go onto http://www.mahartports.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHARTHajoallomas@@EN@@3@@GOOGLEBOT it shows Scenic ships docking at one of the rural Docks in Esztergom.   We are in Budapest a couple of days prior to our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise so a transfer from airport to ship is not an option and I don’t see any options on the Scenic website for a hotel transfer to the ship if Scenic is indeed docking outside Budapest.   

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated...🙏 

The best thing to do is call the ship the day before you are to sail.  I had the same issue as we left home 10 days prior to sailing.  I had to call  the cruise director the day before we were to board and find out the location.  I agree, you shouldn't have to do this, but pre-boarding service on Scenic is not what it should be.  If you don't have the number, there is a sticky at the top that list all of the Scenic number.  Once you board, service will be as it should be.

River cruise docking locations are determined by the local port authorities, and can changed at the last minute.  Therefore any information you get from the onshore reps may be out of date and wrong.  Likewise anything in your printed documents.  This applies to all river cruise lines!  If you aren't getting a transfer through the cruise line, the only safe procedure is to call the ship directly the day before [or better yet, the day of] your boarding.  They will know exactly where you need to go, because that is exactly where they are!

Your so right Jazz listening to our superb Rumanian captain putting his point across in I’m sure four different languages  to another (company expletive deleted) Captain trying to pinch his mooring spot given to him by the local docking boss was a joy to behold. When he turned up at the evening port talk he got a standing ovation from all the men on board - dah why? 🥱

• 2 weeks later...

The number for the boat will be in your documents - call them the day you are to board.  Or - ask the front desk of your hotel in Budapest to call - and then they can assist with transportation to the boat. 

Scenic may have a collection point at a hotel in Budapest.  You usually cannot get onto the boat before the afternoon, so people arriving into the city before boarding time will be taken to a hotel where (often) light refreshments are available until they can go to the boat.  Even if you are not staying at that hotel, you should be able to go there - drop your luggage - and head out until boarding time. A shuttle will be provided to the boat - so you just have to know when to be back to catch the shuttle. 

When we sailed out of Budapest with Scenic, the boat was docked on the Buda side - although most boats were on the Pest side. As most companies do not have dedicated docking sites (Viking seems to be the exception) your boat could be anywhere.  Also not sure if the construction on the Chain Bridge affects the docking spaces.

Fran

17 hours ago, franski said:

...Scenic may have a collection point at a hotel in Budapest.  You usually cannot get onto the boat before the afternoon, so people arriving into the city before boarding time will be taken to a hotel where (often) light refreshments are available until they can go to the boat.  Even if you are not staying at that hotel, you should be able to go there - drop your luggage - and head out until boarding time. A shuttle will be provided to the boat - so you just have to know when to be back to catch the shuttle. 

When we sailed out of Budapest with Scenic, the boat was docked on the Buda side - although most boats were on the Pest side. ....

Exactly our experience prior to our Scenic cruise. 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...