Greenwich departure address?

SempreMare

Pretend tomorrow morning I had to give a driver an address for where my Viking ship is departing in Greenwich. 

Where in MyVikingJourney.com or my PDF documents could I find this "London (Greenwich)" departure address? 

[ I just spent 15 min searching for it...I'm sure it's there somewhere...]

Anyone happen to know the exact departure name & address for Viking Ocean cruises departing from "London (Greenwich)"? 

In my Google Maps I see I have previously starred 3 locations: 

• North Greenwich Pier
  • Greenwich Pier 
  • and 1 location I had labeled at some point last year as "Viking Embarkation Maybe"

2022 07 02 Greenwich address.jpg

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

Pretend tomorrow morning I had to give a driver an address for where my Viking ship is departing in Greenwich. 

Where in MyVikingJourney.com or my PDF documents could I find this "London (Greenwich)" departure address? 

[ I just spent 15 min searching for it...I'm sure it's there somewhere...]

Anyone happen to know the exact departure name & address for Viking Ocean cruises departing from "London (Greenwich)"? 

In my Google Maps I see I have previously starred 3 locations: 

• North Greenwich Pier
  • Greenwich Pier 
  • and 1 location I had labeled at some point last year as "Viking Embarkation Maybe"

2022 07 02 Greenwich address.jpg

The drivers know. We left from the Greenwich Pier. It is near the Cutty Sark, in a very crowded area and there are officials (policemen) who will tell the drivers where to go. No problem.

This was posted several years ago when our first BIE cruise was cancelled.  I don’t have a name but it works to order Black Car from LHR.

“Called Viking and got the postal code for where to be dropped in Greenwich if making your own transfers

SE 10 9HT. Hope that helps when trying to book a private transfer”

• Like 1

Yes, the terminal (when we were there, twice pre pandemic) was a tempoarary structure in the corner of the gardens facing the Cutty Sark.  The above postcode SE10 9HT will certainly get you there, but every London cabbie will know where the Cutty Sark is!   

If you have time, go into the Cutty Sark, it has a really interesting history.

I'm really envious of your trip.  Leaving from Greenwich and sailing out along the Thames is fascinating.  We had a retired Thames river pilot onboard until we reached the sea, he gave a super commentary along the way, explaining many of the things we passed, which we would simply have overlooked.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Yes, the terminal (when we were there, twice pre pandemic) was a tempoarary structure in the corner of the gardens facing the Cutty Sark.  The above postcode SE10 9HT will certainly get you there, but every London cabbie will know where the Cutty Sark is!   

If you have time, go into the Cutty Sark, it has a really interesting history.

Thanks so much for the detail!  

I definitely will check out the Cutty Sark.  Looks so close to the ship! 

(or, the tender embarkation point at least...)

5 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

I'm really envious of your trip.  Leaving from Greenwich and sailing out along the Thames is fascinating.  We had a retired Thames river pilot onboard until we reached the sea, he gave a super commentary along the way, explaining many of the things we passed, which we would simply have overlooked.  Enjoy your cruise!

That sounds awesome!  @Jammy Bun Did you need to be on Deck 7 to hear the Thames river pilot discussion? 

Re: "river pilot onboard until we reached the sea"

@Heidi13 Is there a particular place I could be to watch more close up the pilot leave the Viking ship and get onto the smaller boat when he has to leave the ship?   (assuming this Thames River Pilot thing were to happen again)

I happened to catch a glimpse of a transfer like that while on my Holland America Alaska cruise and was fascinated.  Had I been that 'pilot' I would have screamed my head off. Looked like he was 1 foot away from going into the water as he leapt from ship to boat!   

I thought something had gone wrong aboard to cause someone to need to do that!    I asked someone from the crew, "Why did you make someone jump off the boat vs use the dock like a civilized person!?!"

Edited by SempreMare

3 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Thanks so much for the detail!  

I definitely will check out the Cutty Sark.  Looks so close to the ship! 

(or, the tender embarkation point at least...)

That sounds awesome!  @Jammy Bun Did you need to be on Deck 7 to hear the Thames river pilot discussion? 

Re: "river pilot onboard until we reached the sea"

@Heidi13 Is there a particular place I could be to watch more close up the pilot leave the Viking ship and get onto the smaller boat when he has to leave the ship?   (assuming this Thames River Pilot thing were to happen again)

I happened to catch a glimpse of a transfer like that while on my Holland America Alaska cruise and was fascinated.  Had I been that 'pilot' I would have screamed my head off. Looked like he was 1 foot away from going into the water as he leapt from ship to boat!   

I thought something had gone wrong aboard to cause someone to need to do that!    I asked someone from the crew, "Why did you make someone jump off the boat vs use the dock like a civilized person!?!"

Prior to the arrival in every port and after the departure, the local pilot departs the ship. Pilots on cruise ships actually have it fairly easy, as they use the lower deck shell door, which is only a few feet above the water line.

They also rig a pilot ladder, but in most cases the pilot can step directly to/from the ship and pilot launch.

Since the side used by the pilot is unknown to the pax, the best place to watch is probably fwd of Explorers on Dk 7, as you can view down both sides of the ship.

• Like 2

@Jim Avery @Jammy Bun

If I planned to be at the Greenwich departure point at 10:00 AM, when the Cutty Sark opens, do you think there would be someone from viking to take my luggage at 10 AM?

I just explored the site of the Royal Observatory. That looks unmissable as well. I would love the chance to stand on the prime meridian line!

It just registered my skull through my skull that this is the home of Greenwich mean time! 🤩

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Since the side used by the pilot is unknown to the pax, the best place to watch is probably fwd of Explorers on Dk 7, as you can view down both sides of the ship.

Roger that.

Is this typically about 30 minutes after port departure?

Or does it all depend on the porch and how long the pilot is needed

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

@Jim Avery @Jammy Bun

If I planned to be at the Greenwich departure point at 10:00 AM, when the Cutty Sark opens, do you think there would be someone from viking to take my luggage at 10 AM?

I just explored the site of the Royal Observatory. That looks unmissable as well. I would love the chance to stand on the prime meridian line!

It just registered my skull through my skull that this is the home of Greenwich mean time! 🤩

The Royal Observatory is another of the not to be missed attractions in Greenwich, with the obligatory photo stradling the Prime Meridian a must.

Here are a couple of photos from the Prime Meridian and Cutty Sark drydock.

1120929866_GreenwichPrimeMeridian.thumb.jpg.5d0978cbc1894554219dc9e773a52782.jpg367266139_CuttySarkbottomofdock.thumb.jpg.97655335993f2f2b82161f73ce045172.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Roger that.

Is this typically about 30 minutes after port departure?

Or does it all depend on the porch and how long the pilot is needed

Varies with the port, depending on the extent of the compulsory pilotage area, Can be 1/2 hr to just outside the breakwater to 12 hrs in Vancouver to the top of Vancouver Island.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@Jim Avery @Jammy Bun

The Royal Observatory is amazing, BUT bear in mind it is a bit of a walk ( interesting) from the ship and up a very big hill.

• Like 1

There is so much to see in Greenwich; National maritime museum including Nelson’s uniform complete with musket ball hole, The Painted Hall- both a short level walk from Cutty Sark. Even  a Fan Museum, not the electric kind. The area can be a bit hectic at weekends but interesting. You may need to get timed entry tickets for Cutty Sark so do check online to avoid disappointment. 
there are also river-busses from Greenwich Pier upstream to Central London. Even if you only go as far as Tower Bridge and back, it’s quite fun. 
Rp

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Royal Observatory is another of the not to be missed attractions in Greenwich, with the obligatory photo stradling the Prime Meridian a must.

Definitely!

Also , Added to to do list for that day

Get screen shot of a gps app showing prime meridian data”

8 hours ago, rosepark said:

There is so much to see in Greenwich; National maritime museum including Nelson’s uniform complete with musket ball hole, The Painted Hall- both a short level walk from Cutty Sark. Even  a Fan Museum, not the electric kind.

I’m booked Friday through Monday before the cruise near Covent garden, an area of London I’ve never explored.

This makes me want to  shift a full day from central London to Greenwich before embarkation day. I think I would enjoy the royal observatory more than revisiting some of the more traditional London museums. 

If you interested in theatre to any degree then Covent Garden is a great place to be. And of course The Royal Opera houser is on your doorstep. Not sure what hotels are like in and around Greenwich, but there is certainly enough to keep you entertained for a day there. 
Rp

• Like 1

The Royal Naval College has much to see too.  Greenwich is a functioning village with small hotels, lots of pubs/restaurants and a vibrant High Street for any pre cruise items you might need.  Seems we always end up in Boots for something...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

The Royal Naval College has much to see too.  Greenwich is a functioning village with small hotels, lots of pubs/restaurants and a vibrant High Street for any pre cruise items you might need.  Seems we always end up in Boots for something...

Thanks, Jim, Andy, and others for the great suggestions and pictures!  This gives us a really good idea of where the ship will be.  We board on July 15 in Greenwich (Midnight Sun Cruise).  Plan to "straddle" the Meridian like Andy's picture!  Staying in London first for several days and then staying the night before at the Greenwich Doubletree.  Shouldn't be too hard to find the Cutty Sark!  I will also try to take some pics of the location.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Jim, Andy, and others for the great suggestions and pictures!  This gives us a really good idea of where the ship will be.  We board on July 15 in Greenwich (Midnight Sun Cruise).  Plan to "straddle" the Meridian like Andy's picture!  Staying in London first for several days and then staying the night before at the Greenwich Doubletree.  Shouldn't be too hard to find the Cutty Sark!  I will also try to take some pics of the location.  

We stayed at the Greenwich DoubleTree…really nice hotel, great staff and loved the warm feeling of the decor. So unlike the cold furnishings of the ones in the US. Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Other points of interest are the Maritime Museum, Queen's House and the Greenwich Market which opened in the 1700's..

• Like 2