NCL Air: seems like there's *always* an issue; no comment from NCL? Should I get out while I still can?

I researched flights and saw that there were awful options from the airports near me (100 mile radius).  So I figured, why not do the BOGO and save a considerable amount of money knowing that getting there isn't going to be easy anyway I shake it?  I haven't received my flight schedule yet.  Supposed to arrive a day before the cruise, but you never know with the challenges airlines have now.  I'll use trip insurance if anything happens.

18 hours ago, JoyrieM said:

I am so frustrated with ncl's air dept that I just want to scream!!!  We're at day 27 & still no flight info. I've called, chatted, emailed & only response is WAIT. It started with you'll have the flight info within 45 days of your cruise, then 30, now they're saying check back in 24/48/72 hrs...maybe call us if you haven't heard anything by day 25. 'Your flights have been booked, but the air dept needs time to push through your confirmation email'...really, it takes that long to "push through" an email!!! 

We are 25 days out and just got out air. They have my brother connecting through Africa from Spain! In his divorce decree he is not allowed to thanks the kids there. We've been on with NCL for days on this without any good resolution. 

Anyone have a senior person at NCL that might be able to help?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, newcomel said:

In his divorce decree he is not allowed to thanks the kids there. We've been on with NCL for days on this without any good resolution

So, how was NCL supposed to know this prior to booking the flights?  Was this information provided to the agent used to book the trip?  In a situation where a particular location is a no-go zone I feel like booking flights yourself would be the best way to go.  Sure, nobody EXPECTS to fly from Spain to Africa in order to get to someplace in the US, but air travel is a s**t-show right now so nothing is really surprising.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Africa is a pretty big place.  Could you be more specific?

Haha.. I was thinking the same thing. It's a a very short puddle jumper flight from Spain to Morocco. Of course, transferring through Johannesburg would offer the most airline miles.

• Haha 1

Casablanca. We had no idea he would be routed there. Now if he cancels, not sure what that does to the rest of us. He is in the Haven with my mom and his 2 boys. We are in the Haven (2 adults) and a child too. He priced going on another airline and it is $6K. Not sure what else we can do at this point?

1 hour ago, newcomel said:

We are 25 days out and just got out air. They have my brother connecting through Africa from Spain! In his divorce decree he is not allowed to thanks the kids there. We've been on with NCL for days on this without any good resolution. 

The easiest thing to do at this point might be to get an emergency order from the court allowing the connection in Africa.  It's not like they're traveling there.  Just connecting through and not (I'm guessing) even leaving the airport.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I'm a regular cruiser with Royal/Celebrity, and we are booked for our first cruise with NCL on the Prima in April 2023. 

This trip is all a bunch of "new" stuff for us, aside from a new cruiseline: cruising out of NYC, staying overnight in port for multiple days, using the cruiseline's air program... 

We are coming from Toronto, so I figured it would be hard to screw up a route with something like 20 direct flights available every day and 1.5 hours gate-to-gate. But then I've been reading how so many people have been routed on crazy connecting flights and have missed connections or lost luggage. It's an insanely cheap add-on -- with the promo, it was only CAD$225 for two people return -- so I'm reluctant to cancel that feature and book direct. I'd be looking at flights around CAD$1000 booked separately.

How does NCL offer this service and seemingly execute so poorly? Should I cancel and rebook? Am I just being neurotic and giving too much credence to the horror stories on CruiseCritic? Airports will have to be better by April, won't they?

We had a direct Toronto-DC flight. Simple, right. Nope. Our Vancouver-Toronto flight was over an hour late getting started…due to no gate personnel. Connecting flight (Toronto-DCA) obviously missed. Flights all so overbooked that there were no flights. Ended up going Toronto to Boston to DC. Our luggage decided to do a little touring on it’s own. Some decided to stay in Vancouver, some decided to stay in Toronto, two bags did the Boston to DC route…4 days later…and two chose to visit NYC on their way home. All bags finally reached our destination airport after almost a week, and three separate drives to the airport to pick them up. Hopefully things will be MUCH better by the time you travel.all that being said…I don’t see where it was NCL’s fault. They only book the flights, just like anyone would. They do not control the  airline’s inability to service the flights they book, or accommodate the passengers with tickets.

Edited by Jacobs Ema
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newcomel said:

Why does your brother need to tell his ex that he's flying through Casablanca?  How will she know he's done so if he doesn't tell her?

• Like 1

we are booked for Nov 2023, so I hope most of the issues regarding air travel right now will be sorted out....that said, I still think going with the Free second person is well worth it...we will just come in a day early in case anything happens to be safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newcomel said:

It's in the paperwork and divorce decree. 

That's fine, but as I noted in my original response earlier today - this is maybe something that should be communicated BEFORE the flights are booked.  I get that it's an unusual routing, but we're in very unusual times.

Consider this - you're flying to a cruise out of Seattle, leaving from Vermont and you have a court order requiring that you not enter the state of Georgia for any reason.  Would you consider, at all, that NCL would book a flight through Atlanta, considering there are other, more Northern, hub cities between Vermont and Seattle?  Would you consider telling NCL about your court order in that situation?

My point is that this is as much on you (or whoever booked that passenger) for not communicating any restrictions, however outrageous of a situation as it might have been to be considered a possibility.

• Like 1

newcomel. if the degree precludes you from going anywhere in africa, you had a real sh***y lawyer. many years ago when i started practicing law, i did family law, and i would never let my client agree to something so binding. are you stopping anywhere in africa to change planes? even if so, i dont think any court would hold you in violation of their order if you were just passing through to another location ourside of africa.

• Like 2

I book with NCL air and never have problems.  However:  have your TA (or call directly if you book yourself) and request to schedule the flight 1-2 days before embark (your preference).  Nine out of Ten times when people complain about NCL air, it’s because they (poorly) chose to fly out the day of their cruise.  <as others have said, there is nothing inherently bad with NCL air, airlines are just inherently terrible businesses to their customers>

As far as the crazy flight routes that sometimes get booked, I can only assume these individuals probably are flying out of smaller airports where direct flights are very infrequent (read: expensive) or nonexistant.  I personally fly out of Chicago and have literally never gotten a non-direct flight.  But Chicago is a major hub, so that’s to be expected.

in OP’s case: Toronto to NYC would most certainly be direct.  

Edited by NauticalOtter

We are trying NCL for the first time for our Med cruise this month. Boston to Venice (red eye which is what we booked last time) and we have a 1.5 hour layover in Amsterdam. We took a 1 day deviation and got $25 back. It is saving us $1200 so we are chancing it. I will post the results when we get back 😁

28 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

We are trying NCL for the first time for our Med cruise this month. Boston to Venice (red eye which is what we booked last time) and we have a 1.5 hour layover in Amsterdam. We took a 1 day deviation and got $25 back. It is saving us $1200 so we are chancing it. I will post the results when we get back 😁

You are probably aware that Amsterdam airport is currently in a "state of chaos".  I'd be tracking my flights to establish a pattern of whether or not they are being allowed to land in Amsterdam. 

https://industry-update.com/more-airlines-are-diverting-flights-as-the-chaos-in-amsterdam-continues/76779/

• Like 1

I have used NCL Air twice so far, and will be using it on an upcoming cruise in September.  Both the previous trips went off without a hitch.  One was pre-covid and one was post.  I was even impressed with them when we were delayed getting into NYC from Bermuda because of Dorian and even before we left Bermuda, NCL Air had already rebooked us to a later flight.  One trip was a day of departure and one was a 2 day deviation.  I am still waiting on flight info for the one in September.

There are several things every one who is interested in using the air fare promo is; 1) read the terms and conditions.  I have found little rules in them which normally would not apply when booking yourself. 2) Try to fly out of a hub airport, even if it means you need to drive to get to one and possibly stay overnight.  The number of options, in the event there are issues with the booked flights go up 10 fold 3) Be prepared to get seats which are not connected.  4) NCL will use normally major carriers, but one key is to join their program for the airline you are traveling on, even if it is just on one leg of the flight.  NCL books are seats separately, but was able to change them on the airline website after joining their program and it did not cost me anything.  

These suggestions are based upon my experience cruising out of US ports, but similar ideas would be appropriate for international flights.

And if I was traveling with a group where it was imperative that the entire party arrives at the destination airport roughly the same time, I would bite the bullet and book them myself.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, phillygwm said:

This is so true. 

With regard to NCL Air, it depends on how flexible you are.  On my last cruise with friends, I booked my own air.  We arrived at the port early morning and I was on an 11:00 AM flight.  My friends with NCL Air were on a red eye.  

Realize, NCL is going to put you on the absolute cheapest flights possible (on a major carrier.)  Those will likely leave/arrive at inconvenient times but you'll ultimately make it to your destination.  As long as you can accept that going in, you'll be OK.  If that will be a problem, then I'd suggest you make your own flight arrangements.

Exactly.  NCL will get you on the cheapest flight.  

Personally, I just book the plane tickets myself.  I'd rather control who I fly with and what i want, rather than leave it to NCL.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are probably aware that Amsterdam airport is currently in a "state of chaos".  I'd be tracking my flights to establish a pattern of whether or not they are being allowed to land in Amsterdam. 

https://industry-update.com/more-airlines-are-diverting-flights-as-the-chaos-in-amsterdam-continues/76779/

No I was not aware, thank you. It’s not until end of July hopefully things will be better but will def keep an eye on it 😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

No I was not aware, thank you. It’s not until end of July hopefully things will be better but will def keep an eye on it 😳

Travel with carry on luggage only if possible! A lot of major airports are a mess right now and for the rest of summer and people are not getting their bags especially with a short layover. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Caligirl20 said:

Travel with carry on luggage only if possible! A lot of major airports are a mess right now and for the rest of summer and people are not getting their bags especially with a short layover. 

This is what I always do - I've heard too many horror stories about missing/late luggage. My sister missed a cruise due to late luggage

I would recommend you get out. We finished our Bliss cruise July 9 in Seattle. NCL booked a flight to San Diego for 8:35 that evening . We got off the ship at 9 am. I checked 2 earlier flights on July 7 which had our needed 6 seats. Alaska allows same day booking after your check in time. The only ear