EZAir - to "ticket" or not to "ticket"

snorkelphile

With all the air travel chaos, much has been posted here and elsewhere regarding problems with EZ Air.  Generally, advice posted seems to be to insure your "confirmed" reservations are "ticketed" as soon as possible by requesting "early ticketing" whenever possible.  I am trying to understand this better.  The facts as I know them are that a perk of EZ air confirmed reservations is that they are flexible, meaning they can be changed or cancelled with no penalty up to 45 days prior to the cruise.  I assume this is because they are not yet ticketed.  In the period between full payment for the cruise and airfare, until 45 days prior to the cruise, the reservations may still not be "ticketed".  This sometimes means seats cannot be selected, and flights may be changed unilaterally by EZ air - not always to the customer's satisfaction.  I'm trying to evaluate any downside of asking for them to be ticketed assuming you are happy with the flights.  If the airline cancels any of the flights or segments, wouldn't they also have to rebook you on another flight at no additional charge?

I asked my PVP to get me ticketed today even though I don't fly until December. I am paid in full and want to make sure I get out of FLL without problems. Lots of tourists and snowbirds that time of year and I want no problems or issues. I am flying Delta and already selected my seat.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, snorkelphile said:

and flights may be changed unilaterally by EZ air - not always to the customer's satisfaction.

From what I read, most or all of these changes are airline-initiated.  And could well happen if you were booked directly with that airline.  It could be that some of these changes are done due to the file not being ticketed (i.e. not a "committed" customer as yet). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snorkelphile said:

If the airline cancels any of the flights or segments, wouldn't they also have to rebook you on another flight at no additional charge?

AFAIK, this is true even when ticketed.  Once you are ticketed, the EZ-Air flexibility benefit is lost and you are then subject to the air carrier regulations as to changes and cancellations.

I have requested early ticketing in the past - even before FP Date - in order to do seat selection.

We have business flights to and from Europe for this Fall.  Both ways have 1 stop.  On one leg, we cannot make seat selection as yet and I know it requires ticketing.  Not my first choice of airline (BA), but the deal was just way too good to pass up.  I am pretty sure I am going to ask for early ticketing on that one (keeping an eye on the available unassigned seats).

That's us exactly - Business flights to Rome for September.   So Steelers 36:  Prior to ticketing, if an airline cancels, EZair will rebook at no additional cost.  After ticketing, the airline rebooking policies apply.  I guess I would want to determine whether those policies also include no additional cost?

56 minutes ago, snorkelphile said:

With all the air travel chaos, much has been posted here and elsewhere regarding problems with EZ Air.  Generally, advice posted seems to be to insure your "confirmed" reservations are "ticketed" as soon as possible by requesting "early ticketing" whenever possible.  I am trying to understand this better.  The facts as I know them are that a perk of EZ air confirmed reservations is that they are flexible, meaning they can be changed or cancelled with no penalty up to 45 days prior to the cruise.  I assume this is because they are not yet ticketed.  In the period between full payment for the cruise and airfare, until 45 days prior to the cruise, the reservations may still not be "ticketed".  This sometimes means seats cannot be selected, and flights may be changed unilaterally by EZ air - not always to the customer's satisfaction.  I'm trying to evaluate any downside of asking for them to be ticketed assuming you are happy with the flights.  If the airline cancels any of the flights or segments, wouldn't they also have to rebook you on another flight at no additional charge?

I’ve used EZ Air many times & have always been able to pick my seat assignment even tho I haven’t paid for my flight. I have a flight in October & I already have my seat assignment. Not able to pick your seat assignment is this something new?

Tom🤔

1 hour ago, snorkelphile said:

That's us exactly - Business flights to Rome for September.   So Steelers 36:  Prior to ticketing, if an airline cancels, EZair will rebook at no additional cost.  After ticketing, the airline rebooking policies apply.  I guess I would want to determine whether those policies also include no additional cost?

Not that I am familiar with all airlines, but I am not aware of an airline that charges a fee to re-book when THEY cancel on you.  Now, I suppose once ticketed, you really need to work with that airline, whereas if not yet ticketed, then a different airline might be a better itinerary option using EZ-Air personnel.  So, that is part of the risk of early ticketing, but you can also check how your airline is doing with the same flights on the same route using their Flight Status option and you get a sense of reliability.  

In my case, I am not too worried as the airlines are getting the international flights off and it's mostly domestic getting cancelled left, right, and center.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ve used EZ Air many times & have always been able to pick my seat assignment even tho I haven’t paid for my flight. I have a flight in October & I already have my seat assignment. Not able to pick your seat assignment is this something new?

Tom🤔

A lot of times it depends on the airline you are flying on. Delta allows seat chose as soon as you book ezair, but I know that a few others don't.

2 hours ago, Moondogy said:

A lot of times it depends on the airline you are flying on. Delta allows seat chose as soon as you book ezair, but I know that a few others don't.

United allows it.  Most recently, we've had seat reservations booked since June 5th on flights to/from Australia for a cruise that ends on April 30, 2023.

13 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom🤔

Not being able to pick your seat is airline specific.

4 hours ago, alolewis said:

Some airlines, British Airways for example, you have to pay to choose your seats prior to 24 hours before the flight, even in Business class.

Depends on your status with BA. We are only Silver with them (Platinum with AA) and have always been able to select seats on BA immediately upon receipt of booking confirmation. Months before final payment.