Ins & Outs of (and times needed for) transiting through LHR?

ShopperfiendTO

11 hours ago, fbgd said:

I think you may be confusing immigration and customs. For decades customs going into the UK involves choosing the blue (EU), green (nothing to declare), red (items to declare) channels and is nothing more than walking through a short corridor.

Yes, I should have said Immigration, the scanning is much quicker. 

• 1 month later...

Last week took just under 90 minutes T3 to T5 (90 minutes is MCT). I didn't have checked bags. Security was the biggest delay, my inbound flight was early and I think I beat the crowd. There were dire warnings about 100 ml fluid limit. The area seemed to be setup to handle at least 500 people in the queue. I wouldn't plan anything less than 3 hours.

Most of the signage was fine but there were a couple of places you had to watch carefully, the turn was easy to miss.

• 3 months later...

Need to get from Toronto to Marseilles in time to catch cruise leaving at 6 pm on Feb 26. Do I risk taking a flight that arrives on the 26th?  One option with the shortest flying time and only one stop puts us thru LHR with only a 1:05hr stopover. I’m assuming this is too risky?  
Regardless of where my stopover(s) is, will I have to claim luggage and go thru immigration/security at stopover and at Marseilles?

I think it is too risky.  You are also flying out in winter in Toronto and may have weather (and possibly de-icing) delays.  Too stressful way to start a cruise.  What is your first stop after Marseille, and is it the next day where you can get to easily, such as train, if you miss the connecting flight?  If the next stop is the next day and is a port that you can get to by train, then you can weigh the risk of missing the connecting LHR flight and the inconvenience of the 2-stop options.

We have never had to claim luggage transiting through Europe when on one PNR for the flight segments. 

I think immigration depends on what the connecting airport is - if both are Shengen, then I think it would only be at the stopover. 

If you have to go through security again, I think you would only have to do it at the stopover regardless of connecting airport.  When you land in Marseille, what would be the reason for another security check if you are leaving the airport then?

Edit: For security, I take to be when you have to go through the security screening of your carry-ons and metal detectors.  This is different than immigration, which I take to be when they check your passport and stamp/scan it, which is often not at the same place as the security area.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

20 hours ago, newbycruzer said:

Need to get from Toronto to Marseilles in time to catch cruise leaving at 6 pm on Feb 26. Do I risk taking a flight that arrives on the 26th?  One option with the shortest flying time and only one stop puts us thru LHR with only a 1:05hr stopover. I’m assuming this is too risky?  
Regardless of where my stopover(s) is, will I have to claim luggage and go thru immigration/security at stopover and at Marseilles?

For an LHR connection you only need to reclear security. No immigration, customs or baggage recheck.

Everyone has their own risk appetites as to whether this works for you. Be aware you need to reach the entrance to security at least 35minutes before departure or you won't even be allowed to get in the line for it.

If you are flying First/Club World (this appears to be a BA itinerary)  then there's a separate line for security but the 35min rule still applies. A few years ago my inbound was delayed, and my wife and I reached it 34mins beforehand, travelling business class, 2 x top tier BA status passengers, with hand baggage only and could see my aircraft at about the nearest gate to where I was standing. Late in the evening so security would be a breeze. A call was made to the gate where all the above was noted but even still, no dice...

I wouldn’t risk anywhere near a 1 hour connection at LHR. Even if it’s all BA you may have to change terminals. Everyone has their own risk tolerance but if you aren’t flying business it can take 15+ minutes to get off the plane and you have to be in the security line 35 minutes before scheduled departure.  If you flight is even a few minutes late arriving and/or you have to change terminals you are out of luck.