Bourbon Selections on Three Cruises in 2022

bnurick

8 hours ago, D C said:

It would be quite easy for X to publish, even as a flyer in the room at embarkation, what is actually available compared to the advertised list. 

Yes!  Though I think that actually often changes mid-cruise.  Not to deviate to far off of the topic, but at Fine cut on the Edge earlier this year I had to go to my fifth choice on the wine list handed to me at our table--they were out of the first 4 choices.

I bring my own wine onboard now.  It’s frustrating when you spend 45 minutes ordering wine with all the unavailable.  They need to allow you to bring specific liquor onboard and pay a corkage in the bars.  Like a bottle service.  It’s just come to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

I bring my own wine onboard now.  It’s frustrating when you spend 45 minutes ordering wine with all the unavailable.  They need to allow you to bring specific liquor onboard and pay a corkage in the bars.  Like a bottle service.  It’s just come to that.

After that Edge experience I'll be doing the same, starting with next month's Millie cruise (with the wines anyway).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bnurick said:

I'll pay for the duty free Woodford Double Oaked if they'll just serve it to me! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the Silhouette. Unfortunately the bourbon selection was poor. Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve (the regular, not the Double Oaked). No Amarena cherries for an old fashioned either.

Had a conversation with a bartender from the Ensemble bar who seemed to know his bourbon about the lack of quality bourbons onboard. I was hoping he had a secret stash but alas that was not the case.

I had to drink vodka most of the cruise as the selection was better and I couldn't stomach WR after the first two nights. They have Chopin, Bellevedere and Ciroc. They also had Stoli Elit but only at the Sunset Bar.

As a relatively new Bourbon drinker, I would appreciate some feedback on what the more seasoned Bourbon drinkers think about the following, all of which I have tried. Pappy Van Winkle is not a must try for me.

Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Knob Creek - 9 year and Smoked Maple

Woodford Reserve

Ciroc and Belvedere are my favorite Vodkas.

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As a relatively new Bourbon drinker, I would appreciate some feedback on what the more seasoned Bourbon drinkers think about the following, all of which I have tried. Pappy Van Winkle is not a must try for me.

Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Woodford Reserve

A few thoughts. I haven't had Knob in a long time, and really don't remember it well. It wasn't one of my favorites at the time.

Buffalo Trace. Nothing wrong with it, nothing great about it. Was arguably mostly a mixer until it became crazy allocated in some markets. I buy it and drink it, but there are others I prefer at the price point.

Elijah Craig. Nice bourbon and one of my go to bourbons for general sipping. Nice value point as well.

Four Roses. The small batch and small batch select are both excellent, IMHO. I've seen interesting reviews from people who don't care for Four Roses at all, but I personally like it. 

Woodford Reserve. Woodford and Maker's Mark are strangely polarizing. I tend to like a wheated bourbon, so that's Maker's. Woodford is a nice alternative with a different flavor profile.

Need to do a tasting again...

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

A few thoughts. I haven't had Knob in a long time, and really don't remember it well. It wasn't one of my favorites at the time.

Buffalo Trace. Nothing wrong with it, nothing great about it. Was arguably mostly a mixer until it became crazy allocated in some markets. I buy it and drink it, but there are others I prefer at the price point.

Elijah Craig. Nice bourbon and one of my go to bourbons for general sipping. Nice value point as well.

Four Roses. The small batch and small batch select are both excellent, IMHO. I've seen interesting reviews from people who don't care for Four Roses at all, but I personally like it. 

Woodford Reserve. Woodford and Maker's Mark are strangely polarizing. I tend to like a wheated bourbon, so that's Maker's. Woodford is a nice alternative with a different flavor profile.

Need to do a tasting again...

Thank you.  I really enjoy Knob Creek Smoked Maple. It seems that the purist bourbon drinkers do not like the sweetness of it.  Knob Creek bourbon is a fine quality whisky that infuses a rich bourbon flavor into the mix, with 90 percent ABV. Many flavored bourbons use a lesser quality whisky with a cheaper flavored addition at 60 to 70 percent ABV. Eiljah Craig and Four Roses Small Batch are also a good dram for sipping. 

I have yet to see Knob Creek Smoked Maple on cruise ships or in restaurants.

forget what is printed on the website.  Many drinks were not available. Do not know if it was because they were really out of stock.  It might have been that there wasn't anyone available to get more out of storage. Bar service was poor.  At times it was so slow, we gave up and went to dinner without getting a drink.  Often I just gave up and had water.

4 hours ago, CruisinNewb said:

Just returned from the Silhouette. Unfortunately the bourbon selection was poor. Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve (the regular, not the Double Oaked). No Amarena cherries for an old fashioned either.

Had a conversation with a bartender from the Ensemble bar who seemed to know his bourbon about the lack of quality bourbons onboard. I was hoping he had a secret stash but alas that was not the case.

I had to drink vodka most of the cruise as the selection was better and I couldn't stomach WR after the first two nights. They have Chopin, Bellevedere and Ciroc. They also had Stoli Elit but only at the Sunset Bar.

If there was Woodford you were well ahead of most of our recent experiences. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I really enjoy Knob Creek Smoked Maple. It seems that the purist bourbon drinkers do not like the sweetness of it.  Knob Creek bourbon is a fine quality whisky that infuses a rich bourbon flavor into the mix, with 90 percent ABV. Many flavored bourbons use a lesser quality whisky with a cheaper flavored addition at 60 to 70 percent ABV. Eiljah Craig and Four Roses Small Batch are also a good dram for sipping. 

90% ABV?  Maybe 90 proof? 

• Thanks 1

Meant to say 90 Proof, 60 to 70 Proof. Not ABV. 

5 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Woodford Reserve

Buffalo Trace is an ok bourbon for its price point. I would have it as part of a cocktail like an old fashioned rather than have it neat or on ice.

Elijah Craig(see above)

Four Roses Single Barrel is a good lower proof bourbon that is enjoyable by itself.

I don't care for Knob Creek or flavored bourbons.

I don't like regular Woodford but their double baked is one of my favorites.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anyone else likes. I suggest that if you are interested in a particular bourbon, you find a bar or restaurant that has it and try it there before you commit to a bottle.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, D C said:

Indeed.  I stand corrected.  Checked in with a friend on a ship who used to work in the shops, but then moved elsewhere on the ship.  They said that the shops and the spa are the only non-Celebrity employees onboard. Starboard Cruise does the shops. 

Starboard covers almost all of the shipboard shops, but I suspect not all of them.  I got the distinct impression that Effy is providing their own sales people, and Starboard isn't claiming Effy as a customer in any of their promotional material.  The fellow setting up all of the shipboard shops this last year for Celebrity was definitely an Effy employee.  Nice fella.

Woodford Reserve available only in Sky Lounge on Millennium last week.  You had to ask as it was underneath in a cabinet.  There were three of us drinking it—she only had one bottle.

16 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig

Four Roses

Woodford Reserve

Buffalo Trace - Agree that when you can find it, its a good bourbon.

Elijah Craig - Also good and easier to find with a good price point.  This is one of my go-to glass on the weekend bourbons.

Four Rose/Knob Creek - I have never been a fan.  I've tried both a few times and they just don't impress me.  My personal opinion but I know a few people that really love them.

Woodford Reserve - Another go-to brand for me.  Easy to find and a solid bourbon.

My personal favorite - Eagle Rare 10 year.  Hard to find but I always keep a couple of bottles.  

15 hours ago, CruisinNewb said:

Buffalo Trace is an ok bourbon for its price point. I would have it as part of a cocktail like an old fashioned rather than have it neat or on ice.

Elijah Craig(see above)

Four Roses Single Barrel is a good lower proof bourbon that is enjoyable by itself.

I don't care for Knob Creek or flavored bourbons.

I don't like regular Woodford but their double baked is one of my favorites.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anyone else likes. I suggest that if you are interested in a particular bourbon, you find a bar or restaurant that has it and try it there before you commit to a bottle.

Thank you. I agree, like with anything else it's what suits our own tastes. But I find it interesting to get an idea, even from this small sampling, what others like and what they might recommend. Indeed, I do sample other whiskeys in bars and restaurants prior to buying.    

5 hours ago, markr100 said:

Elijah Craig - Also good and easier to find with a good price point.  This is one of my go-to glass on the weekend bourbons.

Four Rose/Knob Creek - I have never been a fan.  I've tried both a few times and they just don't impress me.  My personal opinion but I know a few people that really love them.

Woodford Reserve - Another go-to brand for me.  Easy to find and a solid bourbon.

My personal favorite - Eagle Rare 10 year.  Hard to find but I always keep a couple of bottles.  

5 hours ago, markr100 said:

Appreciate your comments. Eagle Rare 10 year is one that I will have to try, when possible.

Eagle Rare is one of my favorites.  Another one to try is Weller. It is a wheat based Bourbon from the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort,KY. Both are difficult to find.

• Like 1