Tons of questions

kikimom

I just booked the Seascape inaugural cruise in Nov. from Rome to NY & I have tons of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to at the MSC website.

How much are gratuities/day and are they automatically charged to your onboard account?

I am sailing solo in an interior room, fantastica level - is the coffee & water only available in dining venues?  I drink lots of water and if it's not available anytime, I might have to take a more serious look at the easy drink package.  If I had to purchase bottled water, how much is it?

Not in YC, so what dining venues will be open to me - both included and upcharge?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that's enough for now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hello from Canada. I was on the MSC Seaview on one of the first cruises, not by plan but because the ship was delayed during construction, cancelling a few cruises prior to mine. It was a wonderful cruise and only a few very minor "new ship" issues. 

As for gratuities, I am not sure what the suggested amount per person per day is, but on both my MSC cruises it was added daily to the account. I found this was easy, and in the rare event that you do not want to pay this for whatever reasons, you can go to the customer service desk (concierge in Yacht Club) and have it removed. You can also tip more if you are so inclined. I have had interior cabins on both my cruises, and also have an interior on my upcoming back 2 back on the Seashore this November (all cruises were in Yacht Club). The cabins are excellent for 1 or 2 people, but the bathrooms are a tad small but I don't spend much time in it anyhow lol.

I know there is coffee, juices etc in the buffet at the drink stations, self serve style (right now there is an attendant dispensing it for you) but am not 100% sure if it is still accessible when it is closed and I can not say about the MDR as in Yacht club the beverages are all included.

So as places to eat, there is the MDRs (main dining rooms) that has set or flexible meal times depending on experience purchased), the buffet which is mostly open almost all the time, and as well they have the usual up charge restaurants such as Butchers cut (steak) Ocean Cay (fishy food) HOLA! Tacos & Cantina (Mexican themed) as well as Kaito Teppanyaki and Sushi Bar. You can purchase meal specials online in packages before to save a bit of money. There is also Venci chocolate factory on the ship as well.

9 hours ago, kikimom said:

I just booked the Seascape inaugural cruise in Nov. from Rome to NY & I have tons of questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to at the MSC website.

How much are gratuities/day and are they automatically charged to your onboard account?

Here is the answer to one of your questions on the website.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

12 hours ago, kikimom said:

I am sailing solo in an interior room, fantastica level - is the coffee & water only available in dining venues?  I drink lots of water and if it's not available anytime, I might have to take a more serious look at the easy drink package.  If I had to purchase bottled water, how much is it?

Not in YC, so what dining venues will be open to me - both included and upcharge?

OK, one important thing you need to know (for all cruise lines). If you ask anything you need to provide the information WHERE you booked the cruise. If you booked this Italy to USA cruise with MSC USA or MSC Italy that makes a huge difference. Or MSC UK, MSC Germany, MSC Singapore, different legal systems, different terms and conditions. Totally different.

If the gratuities are automatically charged to your onboard account? - Depends on where you booked.

If the gratuities can be adapted/removed? - Depends on where you booked. Most markets even cannot remove if beaten up but the staff directly after embarkation (happens not too often).

If you get free water in the dining room? - Depends on where you booked.

If you get free coffee in the dining room? - That privilege seems to be restricted to the British only 😄

One thing is the same for all. 24 hours free water, coffee and tea (and milk) at the drinks stations in the buffet. So if you have no drinks package it is a good idea to select a cabin close to the buffet. If you have a cabin front ship on a lower deck you will probably die of thirst on the way there. Life saving 1 liter bottle mineral water should be €2,90 plus Service Charge.

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

OK, one important thing you need to know (for all cruise lines). If you ask anything you need to provide the information WHERE you booked the cruise. If you booked this Italy to USA cruise with MSC USA or MSC Italy that makes a huge difference. Or MSC UK, MSC Germany, MSC Singapore, different legal systems, different terms and conditions. Totally different.

If the gratuities are automatically charged to your onboard account? - Depends on where you booked.

If the gratuities can be adapted/removed? - Depends on where you booked. Most markets even cannot remove if beaten up but the staff directly after embarkation (happens not too often).

If you get free coffee in the dining room? - That privilege seems to be restricted to the British only 😄

One thing is the same for all. 24 hours free water, coffee and tea (and milk) at the drinks stations in the buffet. So if you have no drinks package it is a good idea to select a cabin close to the buffet. If you have a cabin front ship on a lower deck you will probably die of thirst on the way there. Life saving 1 liter bottle mineral water should be €2,90 plus Service Charge.

Thanks for all the info. 

8 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Yeah! That's it. While that advise is valid for all cruise lines; MSC is, out of the mainstream ones, the most prone to have different terms and conditions depending on region of booking or of sailing in the industry.

Some examples: Currency aboard: EUR in Europe and Middle East; USD elsewhere. Drinks packages are different among the regions (price and terms and conditions wise). Service charges are different among the regions. Inclusions or exclusions in base fares vary by the country, and so on, and so on!...

By the way: IMHO, for a transatlantic with so many sea days, I'd to recommend their non alcoholic drinks package if you don't drink any alcohol or just drink very few of it. Non alcoholic drinks packages will to have more inclusions on its field and is cheaper than an Easy package that only covers house wines and beer and some well spirits here and there... The non alcoholic drinks package will to give you unlimited bottled water and specialty coffees at any bar on the ship, except Venchi chocolate or specialty restaurants.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

How much water are you expecting to need between meals?

Are you okay with filtered water? Or need Spring water (not Dasani or Aquafina - as they are just filtered city water)?  People report getting their water containers filled in the buffet.

On a week long Seashore cruise, I just bought Cokes and water on a pay-as you go  system.  

The non-alcohol package for my upcoming 7-night cruise is $175. That is more than double what I expect to spend.  If you want fresh squeezed juices or coffees all day, it may be to your benefit.

Canned soda was about $3.75 w/tax. 500 ml & 1 liter waters were about $3.50 - $5. The water was Spring water - Evian and Acqua Panna last fall.

I have not seen a water package, as offered on NCL. (I also wasn’t looking).

Edited by alohayall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alohayall said:

I have not seen a water package, as offered on NCL. (I also wasn’t looking).

It has been discontinued a few years before. As the coffee package. As the water & wine packages. 

All were great value and perfect for our needs. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, kikimom said:

When i sailed MSC before covid with USA ticket purchase, there was initially some confusion about the water deal but after speaking with maitr d they straighteend it out. i was able to horde water, pellegrino, during meal times and picked up at the bars.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bones774 said:

When i sailed MSC before covid with USA ticket purchase, there was initially some confusion about the water deal but after speaking with maitr d they straighteend it out. i was able to horde water, pellegrino, during meal times and picked up at the bars.

Thanks.  I drink a gal. or more of water every day.  I don't mind filtered water but my cabin is a good ways from the buffet.  Hopefully, I'll be able to use your strategy.

26 minutes ago, kikimom said:

Thanks.  I drink a gal. or more of water every day.  I don't mind filtered water but my cabin is a good ways from the buffet.  Hopefully, I'll be able to use your strategy.

you and I are looking at the same cruise. i hope to use the same strategy too. I had so much Pellegrino at end of last cruise i had to leave it in the cabin. There was also spring water choices. They call the waters either Gas or Flat.

See you onboard

PS-print out the portion of contract that says waters included in case you have to do maitre'd thing again

Edited by bones774
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bones774 said:

you and I are looking at the same cruise. i hope to use the same strategy too. I had so much Pellegrino at end of last cruise i had to leave it in the cabin. There was also spring water choices. They call the waters either Gas or Flat.

See you onboard

PS-print out the portion of contract that says waters included in case you have to do maitre'd thing again

Hope to run into you onboard!  Where's home for you in NY?  I was born & grew up in Schenectady.

5 hours ago, kikimom said:

Hope to run into you onboard!  Where's home for you in NY?  I was born & grew up in Schenectady.

Ha ha, I grew up in the boros, NYC but right now i'm sitting in my camp at the Great Sacandaga, you should know it?

12 hours ago, bones774 said:

Ha ha, I grew up in the boros, NYC but right now i'm sitting in my camp at the Great Sacandaga, you should know it?

Know it well!  I lived in NYC for a decade after college graduation and Northern NJ for the next decade before the South lured me away.

21 hours ago, kikimom said:

We'll have to meet up.v

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, kikimom said:

This is what it says on Booking Summary page:

MINERAL WATER AND COFFEE IN DINING ROOM

16 hours ago, bones774 said:

This is what it says on Booking Summary page:

MINERAL WATER AND COFFEE IN DINING ROOM

That doesn't bode well.  Need to study the drink packages - with so many sea days, it might make sense to get one.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, kikimom said:

Tap water (in your cabin) is fine.  We pack a wide-mouth water bottle for each cruise, and just fill it in the cabin and/or buffet (from a glass, not directly from the dispenser).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Tap water (in your cabin) is fine.  We pack a wide-mouth water bottle for each cruise, and just fill it in the cabin and/or buffet (from a glass, not directly from the dispenser).

Thanks.  I always bring a large water bottle, too.