Infirmary Medical Supplies

CGBanks

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe eventually when fully approved by the FDA then it could be kept on ship for well defined, emergency situations.  Not for giving out like Advil or Tylenol.

Since we were about local pharmacy we asked about Paxlovid without a prescription.  Over 60 - check.  Recent blood tests within 90 days! - check.  Liver function normal - check. Underlying conditions - check.  Proof of the conditions - check using meds taken.

Kidney function normal - Nope.  Stage 2 kidney which is pretty normal for those over 60.  Was told to get a prescription. 

There are a long list of qualifiers that are almost impossible to meet.  And yes, am sure there are online services that will provide a virtual visit and a script.  Just don't expect to walk in and get it.

PS - it was supposedly arriving in 3 days.

I messaged my Doctor yesterday (Kaiser, California) and he replied

Unfortunately were not allowed to give Paxlovid to people who are not known to be infected, and are also symptomatic. It is still under a expanded use authorization meaning that you cannot give it off label in any circumstance.

Just reference point I had also asked at the Pharmacy and they said that at most test sites they will immediately give  Seniors and at risk patients Paxlovid if test positive but she was not permitted to sell it without a prescription.

May be California restrictions combined with feds.
Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Since we were about local pharmacy we asked about Paxlovid without a prescription.  Over 60 - check.  Recent blood tests within 90 days! - check.  Liver function normal - check. Underlying conditions - check.  Proof of the conditions - check using meds taken.

Kidney function normal - Nope.  Stage 2 kidney which is pretty normal for those over 60.  Was told to get a prescription. 

There are a long list of qualifiers that are almost impossible to meet.  And yes, am sure there are online services that will provide a virtual visit and a script.  Just don't expect to walk in and get it.

PS - it was supposedly arriving in 3 days.

But you also need to have a documented positive test for the current ongoing COVID infection too.  At least for the pharmacy-only program.  Of course you could get tested at the same pharmacy.

Actually in any scenario, if I had symptoms and tested positive, I would call my physician and discuss the situation and get a prescription if they agreed.  No need to go around the system.  My physician has all of my medical records and recent blood work.  And knows what other drugs I am taking and what my other health conditions are.

Edited by TeeRick

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I messaged my Doctor yesterday (Kaiser, California) and he replied

Unfortunately were not allowed to give Paxlovid to people who are not known to be infected, and are also symptomatic. It is still under a expanded use authorization meaning that you cannot give it off label in any circumstance.

Just reference point I had also asked at the Pharmacy and they said that at most test sites they will immediately give  Seniors and at risk patients Paxlovid if test positive but she was not permitted to sell it without a prescription.

May be California restrictions combined with feds.

Yes this all makes good sense.

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

But you also need to have a documented positive test for the current ongoing COVID infection too.  At least for the pharmacy-only program.  Of course you could get tested at the same pharmacy.

Actually in any scenario, if I had symptoms and tested positive, I would call my physician and discuss the situation and get a prescription if they agreed.  No need to go around the system.  My physician has all of my medical records and recent blood work.  And knows what other drugs I am taking and what my other health conditions are.

Our physician stated with any type of kidney disease he would not prescribe Paxlovid.

I was simply wondering about the pharmacy program guidelines.   They make it very difficult to obtain under the pharmacy program.  We did not get to the requirement you test positive.  At least here Paxlovid is clearly not available like several other drugs we get for travel "just in case".

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I started thinking about this when I realized that there were issues with 4 of the drugs I take... statin, blood thinner, anti-arrhythmic and calcium channel blocker. Some need to be stopped for a time and others the dosage needs to be modified and in any event I would have to be monitored. Based on FDA info and information from cardiologist. So my issues may be unique.

21 minutes ago, kearney said:

I started thinking about this when I realized that there were issues with 4 of the drugs I take... statin, blood thinner, anti-arrhythmic and calcium channel blocker. Some need to be stopped for a time and others the dosage needs to be modified and in any event I would have to be monitored. Based on FDA info and information from cardiologist. So my issues may be unique.

Many older and/or at risk people would have a number of these conditions or be taking these type of common drugs.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Are there different rules for Paxlovid in Canada than the US?  You of course must know since you got it once before.  But can you get it in Canada if not infected already, as a precaution to getting infected when you travel and cruise?  The recent FDA announcement about getting it from registered US pharmacies would not apply to you.  I have found the following from Health Canada.  Again, best of luck with all of this.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/symptoms-transmission-treatment/oral-treatment-against-covid-19-paxlovidmc

each province has its own rules. That article is specific to Quebec, But I suspect most are similar to where I am in Alberta.  Which you can only get if you have tested positive. Not a preventative dose.

I am hoping to take a letter from my doc saying I was successfully treated once and the reasons for taking pax, so at least if I test positive can try to get off boat and to a pharmacy that prescribes. Who knows. But the alternative is stop stop doing anything out and enjoyable.