Alcohol question

Vitamin_Sea

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Not 100% sure but I'd bet money the answer is no.  You'll receive it when you disembark for good.  That loophole would be huge and not in Carnival's interest.

One would think so but from what I've read here on CC passengers do receive the alcohol at the end of the first leg of the trip. The staff doesn't know you are on a back to back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

One would think so but from what I've read here on CC passengers do receive the alcohol at the end of the first leg of the trip. The staff doesn't know you are on a back to back.

That happened to us on a B2B in June. We bought alcohol at a port, checked it with Carnival and they delivered it to us the last night of the first leg. I think it’s because they just don’t have the mechanism to catch that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

That happened to us on a B2B in June. We bought alcohol at a port, checked it with Carnival and they delivered it to us the last night of the first leg. I think it’s because they just don’t have the mechanism to catch that. 

That would be my guess, as well. I have also heard of people receiving their purchases from the store after the first leg. I doubt this is so serious an issue that Carnival needs to worry about patching the loophole.

Makes sense to me,  but they could have your information when you pick it up and all B2Bs may be flagged.

Per Carnival's website, alcohol purchased or brought on board at port will not be available until the last day of the last sailing of a B2B. Of course your mileage may vary, and based on the replies here it sounds like that isn't always the case in reality.

An idea to consider that I've read about is to make friends with someone sailing on the first leg. Have them bring something on board from a port or purchase from the Fun Shops, and then they would receive it on the last night of your first leg and they could bring a gift to your cabin. 😉

The official word from Carnival is:

"Alcohol Purchased in Port or Onboard (The Fun Shops)

Alcohol will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the final voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation."

Source: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4529/~/back-to-back-cruises

49 minutes ago, M&A said:

Makes sense to me,  but they could have your information when you pick it up and all B2Bs may be flagged.

Sounds like it's hit or miss. We are a long way from doing a B2B but will definitely try it out if we do.

Since we're on the subject of trying to get our own alcohol into the room, is smuggling alcohol onto the cruise an option? 

Or is talking about that frowned upon on this forum?

I have an upcoming cruise and am considering it. I have some friends that have been successful with the right containers purchased on Amazon, but that was a few years ago.

That way we can just relax and keep the party going in the room without having to go hunting for drinks.

Yes I have the Cheers package. So don't expect to use my own too much. But when enjoying time with the wife on the balcony I might need to bust out our own stuff.

Thoughts?

Worst case scenario I've heard and according to Carnival's policy is they'll simply confiscate it and dispose of it.

Not too worried if that happens. We'll get a good laugh out of our failed attempt.

9 hours ago, cableguynoe said:

Since we're on the subject of trying to get our own alcohol into the room, is smuggling alcohol onto the cruise an option? 

I have an upcoming cruise and am considering it. I have some friends that have been successful with the right containers purchased on Amazon, but that was a few years ago.

That way we can just relax and keep the party going in the room without having to go hunting for drinks.

Yes I have the Cheers package. So don't expect to use my own too much. But when enjoying time with the wife on the balcony I might need to bust out our own stuff.

Thoughts?

Worst case scenario I've heard and according to Carnival's policy is they'll simply confiscate it and dispose of it.

Not too worried if that happens. We'll get a good laugh out of our failed attempt.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a bottle from the online Fun Shops for the cabin. It is pricey but by the time you add up buying the containers and then buying the alcohol to put in them you aren't really saving much over the cost of the bottle and with buying the bottle you will know it's there. As I understand it liquor not in an original bottle is confiscated and destroyed, but you would also be called to the "naughty room" so they can open your bag in your presence. The thought of having to stand in a line wasting vacation time when I don't have to is what keeps me from even thinking about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cableguynoe said:

Thoughts?

They are pretty good at finding it these days from what I've heard. I don't know of any sure-fire ways to get it onboard anymore. Judging by the smell of the ship on the last Carnival cruise I was on, pot is the new substance they can't figure out how to keep off the ships.

• Like 1

When in port, buy two bottles and ask the store to pack separately. Put in your back pack. When you get back on ship and they say take you liquor to the check in table, reach in you pack and give them one bottle to check, leave the other in your pack. 

• Like 3

The easiest thing to do is to buy a bottle from the online Fun Shops for the cabin. It is pricey but by the time you add up buying the containers and then buying the alcohol to put in them you aren't really saving much over the cost of the bottle and with buying the bottle you will know it's there. As I understand it liquor not in an original bottle is confiscated and destroyed, but you would also be called to the "naughty room" so they can open your bag in your presence. The thought of having to stand in a line wasting vacation time when I don't have to is what keeps me from even thinking about it.

Wait, now I'm confused.

Earlier you talked about trying to get your purchases from the store after the first leg.

Can I buy a bottle of liquor and take straight to my room?

If so I'll do it, even if it's over priced. (what isn't on vacations). But sounded from the chat here that if I buy alcohol it's only to take home, not to drink on the ship.

Can you clarify please?

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They are pretty good at finding it these days from what I've heard. I don't know of any sure-fire ways to get it onboard anymore. 

I heard that that they're really looking for is weapons and that kind of thing. Of course if they find alcohol, they also confiscate. But that's not their mission. That's just so they can make more money.

The stuff they sell looks pretty legit, with seals and everything. So even if they take off the cap, there would be a seal.

Yeah I'm sure they've seen it all. But hoping it's not obvious enough that they'll move on looking for the next knife or gun.

5 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

When in port, buy two bottles and ask the store to pack separately. Put in your back pack. When you get back on ship and they say take you liquor to the check in table, reach in you pack and give them one bottle to check, leave the other in your pack. 

Whoa!

Is that confirmed to work?

Would love some nice Mezcal to enjoy on the way back home!

1 minute ago, cableguynoe said:

Whoa!

Is that confirmed to work?

Would love some nice Mezcal to enjoy on the way back home!

They do not search your bag and do not specify how many bottles are in your bag after going through x-ray machine. They just say take your liquor to the table. It has worked every time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

My husband bought a bottle of bourbon in Galveston before our cruise and didn't get a chance to drink it.  He figured he'd throw it in the suitcase and figured worst that could happen was they'd take it.   We also had Cheers. When we got to our room mine and our kid's suitcase was there, not his.  I knew then he probably got caught.  His bag turned up a little while later minus his bottle. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

They do not search your bag and do not specify how many bottles are in your bag after going through x-ray machine. They just say take your liquor to the table. It has worked every time.

Thanks for this!

I will definitely be trying it, especially since I plan to buy several bottles in Mexico.

One will not make it home!

Edited by cableguynoe

31 minutes ago, cableguynoe said:

Wait, now I'm confused.

Earlier you talked about trying to get your purchases from the store after the first leg.

Can I buy a bottle of liquor and take straight to my room?

If so I'll do it, even if it's over priced. (what isn't on vacations). But sounded from the chat here that if I buy alcohol it's only to take home, not to drink on the ship.

You can get bottles of liquor on-board two different ways:

From the "Duty Free" Fun Shop, to take home with you at the end of the cruise.  Relatively cheap ("Duty Free").

From the (online pre-cruise and I guess during the cruise?) "Fun Shops", to be delivered to your cabin to enjoy during the cruise.  This is relatively expensive - about $80-100 for a what I guess is a 750ml bottle of hard liquor.  You can browse products/prices here:

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages?q=:price-asc:category:liquor&sort=price-asc&page=0

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
clarity
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise, J.D. said:

It's hit or miss at the ports on the enforcement. Last cruise I bought a small bottle in Amber Cove and was told to drop it off at the "table". No one was at the table so I kept walking 😅

When I was pregnant almost 8 years ago now. I bought a nice bottle of rum to enjoy after the baby arrived while in port in San Juan.  I had no intention of smuggling it on but completely forgot i was carrying it.  I realized when I got to the elevator I still had it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You can get bottles of liquor on-board two different ways:

From the "Duty Free" Fun Shop, to take home with you at the end of the cruise.  Relatively cheap ("Duty Free").

From the (online pre-cruise and I guess during the cruise?) "Fun Shops", to be delivered to your cabin to enjoy during the cruise.  This is relatively expensive - about $80-100 for a what I guess is a 750ml bottle of hard liquor.  You can browse products/prices here:

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages?q=:price-asc:category:liquor&sort=price-asc&page=0

You were able to answer before I was. Most of the bottles are 1L although there are exceptions.

• Like 1

Just now, 1kaper said:

I bought a nice bottle of rum to enjoy after the baby arrived while in port in San Juan.

The baby arrived while in port in San Juan?  Lucky you on the timing!

😉

Sorry, I love parsing out sentences opposite to the intention.

😜

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The baby arrived while in port in San Juan?  Lucky you on the timing!

😉

Sorry, I love parsing out sentences opposite to the intention.

😜

Haha.  Sadly no, he did not arrive for several more months.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1