Alaska ?

Wow, that's a hard question. Most Alaska sailings are 7 days. Land portions are a good supplement. You really see so much more of Alaska that way. As to which ports, most cruises visit the same ports with a few minor variations. Just look to see which ports interest you the most, then choose from there. It's hard to go wrong, however, since the whole trip is so beautiful.

You might want to visit the Ports of Call area and check it out. There will be tons of info on Alaska ports.

Having Glacier Bay is a big plus for an itinerary.

I like the itineraries that start out of Vancouver better than the ones that start in Seattle, because I'd rather do another day in Alaska than stop at Victoria. Victoria is nice though, you can easily add it on before/after the cruise.

I did a one way 7 day cruise north to Seward Alaska. If you have time for a land addition, a one way cruise might be nice. Seward had a Kenai fjords boat tour which had better landscape/wildlfe than you ever saw from the cruiseship. You can easily get off the ship, do the boat tour, then take a scenic train to anchorage... without even having to overnight in Seward. I then went on a self-arranged trip to Kodiak island which was just so fantastic.

The other consideration is time of year. You get more variable weather at the cruise season end/start, but it's often still fine. Might be nice to see the salmon running if you can go in july/august.

If looking at a combo of cruise and land, best is to budget at least 14 days. Be open to independent touring which is superior interior Alaska for the freedom it allows, at a much cheaper cost. Do your homework, the more you know the better. Cruisetours have plenty that is not disclosed, surprising when you find out.

Head over the the very active Alaska board. Take some time and read and read some more.

As a suggested itinerary, one way cruise to Seward. Seward overnight, Anchorage overnight, Talkeetna 1 night, Denali Park 1 night, back to Anchorage. Plenty to see and do.

Have a look at some photos to get you started. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

JMO - do the land portion first and then the cruise. The land portion can have long days on the road. That way you can rest on the ship.

I'll second that. Plus, it's a shorter flight home from Vancouver than it is from Seward/Anchorage/Fairbanks.

Archived