Vaccinated recently but no booster. 3 days or 2 days on pre-cruise test??

Hello! I have scoured the boards here and read through Carnivals website, but I wanted to ask my own question for a clearer answer. Thank you for your patience. 

I just recently got vaccinated. I am past two weeks of having the second dose. I am not yet eligible for a booster. I read Carnivals specifications on pre-cruise testing as I am up to date and can test three days prior. Am I correct? 

I leave on a cruise THIS Saturday and wanted to test today, Wednesday, to get it over with and stop stressing. 

Thanks for any solidification you can offer me!

For you it's going to be 2 days if you do an antigen test, or three days if you do the more sensitive PCR test.  This is from Carnival's website - you're considered vaccinated but not up to date with boosters: 

NOTE: I think that's the correct interpretation.  In any case you can do a PCR test at three days and you'd be ok.

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

• Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines, they must take an antigen pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing, or a PCR test within three days prior to sailing.

• If you are eligible for a booster and have not received one, you are not considered up to date.
  • Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their antigen test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in. A PCR test may be taken no earlier than Wednesday prior to sailing.
Edited by groundloop
  • Thanks 1

Well, I guess I read Carnivals info all wrong! 🙂

So if I take the test at midnight, technically Thursday, I will be fine for the two day requirement on the antigen test? We are using emed proctored tests. 

I ask because we are supposed to leave to head to Miami at midnight tonight. If this early, literally midnight, on the two day requirement works, we will just delay our departure for Miami until the tests are done. We are driving, so there is flex. BUT, my husband is so funny with timing; he will need a warning. Lol. 

Thanks for any additional info you can offer.. 

Groundloop is INCORRECT.  OP you are ABSOLUTELY Up To Date because you are not yet close to being eligible for your first booster shot.  People who received their initial Primary series back in 2021 (more than 6 months ago) are the ones who must have a booster to be considered Up To Date.

Frankly, because that's almost everyone these days, confusion is possible.  You are an outlier in that you just received your primary series.  And you confirmed that you are more than 14 days removed from shot #2.

Edited by jsglow

1 minute ago, CruisinChris47 said:

So if I take the test at midnight, technically Thursday, I will be fine for the two day requirement on the antigen test? We are using emed proctored tests. 

I ask because we are supposed to leave to head to Miami at midnight tonight. If this early, literally midnight, on the two day requirement works, we will just delay our departure for Miami until the tests are done. We are driving, so there is flex. BUT, my husband is so funny with timing; he will need a warning. Lol. 

I have read that the time stamp by emed is Greenwich meridian time. So like 5 hours ahead of the east coast. I have not done it, but that was the report a while back when people couldn’t figure out why the date was different when they tried to enter it into VeriFLY. Maybe someone recent can look at their result to see.

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Groundloop is INCORRECT.  OP you are ABSOLUTELY Up To Date because you are not yet close to being eligible for your first booster shot.  People who received their initial Primary series back in 2021 (more than 6 months ago) are the ones who must have a booster to be considered Up To Date.

Yep, after more thought (and caffeine) I believe you're right.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Yep, after more thought (and caffeine) I believe you're right.  

Yep, it's never the NUMBER of shots; it's the TIMING of those shots wearing off over time.

9 minutes ago, CruisinChris47 said:

We loaded our info into Verifly and It told us when the earliest we could test. For us, since we are boostered, we can test as early as 7:00pm Wednesday night for a Sunday sail away

Thank you all so much! I had my second dose on Father's Day, so I am well past my two weeks needed to be fully vaccinated. We got vaccinated to be able to cruise! I am not an anti-vaxxer, lol, I just never got it; I know I am a minority. It's okay. LOL. 

So anytime today will suffice? Like I said, we have flex time but I just want it over with; I've been stressing about it since we booked in May. I adore cruising, this will be my 17th cruise but I have not cruised since 2019. So I am BEYOND ready to go! 

Thank you all so much for your responses. Thank you, thank you, and thank you! 

3 minutes ago, CruisinChris47 said:

So anytime today will suffice? Like I said, we have flex time but I just want it over with; I've been stressing about it since we booked in May. I adore cruising, this will be my 17th cruise but I have not cruised since 2019. So I am BEYOND ready to go! 

Yes, anytime today.  It is measured in days, not hours.  You're good to go.

2 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

We loaded our info into Verifly and It told us when the earliest we could test. For us, since we are boostered, we can test as early as 7:00pm Wednesday night for a Sunday sail away

I saw this from someone else, be careful. If you can test Thursday morning I would.

2 hours ago, CruisinChris47 said:

Thank you all so much! I had my second dose on Father's Day, so I am well past my two weeks needed to be fully vaccinated. We got vaccinated to be able to cruise! I am not an anti-vaxxer, lol, I just never got it; I know I am a minority. It's okay. LOL. 

Thank you all so much for your responses. Thank you, thank you, and thank you! 

YEP. Get your test. Get your negative result. Put your vax card and test result in with your Passport. AND have a freakin' awesome time!

3 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I saw this from someone else, be careful. If you can test Thursday morning I would.

Just called Carnival and they confirmed that three days before our cruise day, Sunday, means we are eligible to take the test Wednesday. Weird math. Verifly gives the updated date and time you are eligible to take it.

Edited by ballarinamom

24 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

Just called Carnival and they confirmed that three days before our cruise day, Sunday, means we are eligible to take the test Wednesday. Weird math. Verifly gives the updated date and time you are eligible to take it.

That’s not right, their own website uses examples and for a Sunday cruise it would be Thursday.

CE6B6EEC-E23D-46F0-A19F-012327829D27.jpeg

I had to call Carnival to clarify this point with respect to my sons for our cruise on the 9th.

My 12 YO only qualifies to receive his booster next week and Health Canada has not yet approved the booster for kids 5 - 11 so my 10 YO cannot receive one. As far as we and our government is concerned they are up to date since they don’t qualify for boosters. 

I was explicitly told by the rep I spoke with “NO BOOSTER means NOT UP TO DATE.”

With that in mind your safest bet is to test 2 days prior (or day before which we ended up doing with our sons).

Happy sailing!

38 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

If you are over 50 must you have the 2nd booster to be considered fully vaccinated?

No. but I'm going to get one anyway, tomorrow at Tom Thumb here in my city. 

16 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

That’s not right, their own website uses examples and for a Sunday cruise it would be Thursday.

CE6B6EEC-E23D-46F0-A19F-012327829D27.jpeg

Of course I spoke to two Carnival reps and they both said Wednesday would be my day after 7:00pm. Verifly said the same. Went to put in my negative results and now it says thursday. No real problem since we purchased the online test kits and have plenty. But some p[eople wont be as fortunate. 

10 hours ago, victory2020 said:

If you are over 50 must you have the 2nd booster to be considered fully vaccinated?

boosters only impact if you are "up to date". Fully vaccinated means 2 shots of moderna/pfizer or 1 shot of JJ plus the 2 week wait time for it to kick in. plus others that are approved now.

boosters have no wait time, once you get it, you are up to date until the next booster is then required.