Disappointed in Movenpick in Amsterdam

Was SUPPOSED to sail on Celebrity Apex today, but I tested positive 2 days before we were supposed to leave. BUMMER. Every vendor, from Celebrity to airlines to private tour operators refunded our money. (Little cancellation fee for airline). We had a paid in full reservation at The Movenpick for precruise. They refused to work with us. I didn’t ask for a refund. I asked to please move the reservation to another date for another Amsterdam precruise stay. They refused to budge. Not very hospitable. Would never recommend them again. Not a nice way to treat a repeat customer. Shame on them. 

Yes...I think most hotels have this policy...but very surprised they didn't just let you change dates.

Mind saying how you're managing all this? Were you able to change flight, quarantine, etc etc.

This is my biggest fear on how to handle this as we are flying to AMS on Friday to cruise on Tuesday. Bringing our eMed test to test at our pre-cruise hotel (Banks Mansion) and have no idea how or what to do if the worst case scenario happens.

Best of luck to you and so sorry this has happened.

Thanks. I still cannot believe this happened. The cruise gods just aren’t letting us return to the ships!  All I had to do was call our agent. We booked air with Flights by Celebrity so she took care of cancelling the cruise and air. She also moved our Allianz insurance policy to next year’s Iceland/Ireland cruise. We already got a refund for the price difference on our credit card from them.  I emailed the tour company in Amsterdam, Riga and Helsinki. All cancelled. Movenpick only one to add insult to injury. It will be back to Banks Mansion for us. Good luck to you. 

42 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Thanks. I still cannot believe this happened. The cruise gods just aren’t letting us return to the ships!  All I had to do was call our agent. We booked air with Flights by Celebrity so she took care of cancelling the cruise and air. She also moved our Allianz insurance policy to next year’s Iceland/Ireland cruise. We already got a refund for the price difference on our credit card from them.  I emailed the tour company in Amsterdam, Riga and Helsinki. All cancelled. Movenpick only one to add insult to injury. It will be back to Banks Mansion for us. Good luck to you. 

See I'm so stressed I didn't understand that you were still home when you tested.

Edited by Ashland

It was NOT a refundable rate. I know. BUT most places work with you and move the reservation to another date IF the cancellation is because of Covid. That said, they changed their mind and they are now working with me to move the reservation. Once that actually happens, I’ll post. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, SandyR5 said:

It was NOT a refundable rate. I know. BUT most places work with you and move the reservation to another date IF the cancellation is because of Covid. That said, they changed their mind and they are now working with me to move the reservation. Once that actually happens, I’ll post. 

Best of luck with that.....However now that I saw the location of this hotel as we arrived at the port I'm so glad we opted for Banks Mansion....walking distance to so much !!!

On 8/4/2022 at 10:37 AM, Ashland said:

Best of luck with that.....However now that I saw the location of this hotel as we arrived at the port I'm so glad we opted for Banks Mansion....walking distance to so much !!!

Are you saying that you could walk from the port to the Banks Mansion?  I don’t quite understand the last part of your sentence. I will be in Amsterdam next year and looked at the Banks Mansion as a hotel stay.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Are you saying that you could walk from the port to the Banks Mansion?  I don’t quite understand the last part of your sentence. I will be in Amsterdam next year and looked at the Banks Mansion as a hotel stay.

Thanks!

No not walkable to the port, but walkable along some canals and also to many shops, restaurants etc. More central location

On 7/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, SandyR5 said:

I’m curious why you didn’t just file a claim on your travel insurance for the loss of your non refundable costs?

Good question. The answer is that Allianz moved the insurance, which was much more than the lost  hotel fee, to a different cruise. They also refunded us the difference in the insurance cost of the second cruise. They are terrific that way. Movenpick also contacted me, after I posted here and on Trip Advisor, that they would work with me. 

On 8/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, ladysail2 said:

Thanks!

No not at all....I'm saying the Banks Mansion location was just perfect as compared to where the Movenpick was which was right next to the port and am so glad I didn't opt for that hotel.

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

No not at all....I'm saying the Banks Mansion location was just perfect as compared to where the Movenpick was which was right next to the port and am so glad I didn't opt for that hotel.

Okay, thank you!  😊

• Like 1