Viking Status Request - If sailing now

milling73

Thanks for that idea. Have you checked the roll calls if someone has posted recently (of course we should not pull anyone into the open here, no names!).

I believe you are due to leave soon for the Grand European?

I see the Viking ships and others sailing on the river live, but yesterday I noticed a ship at an odd time in the wrong place (on the Rhine). Perhaps held up at a lock or simply slowed down.

Hopefully someone is happy to post with some info from their respective ship.

notamermaid

Yes Ive been reading water level sites etc. but best info comes first hand from passengers. As noted, CS centers have no clue as to sailing conditions. 
We fly Monday for Prague extension, if Luthansa manages to find plane / crew. So far that is hit/miss. In checking our reservations daily, finding schedule changes / cancellations with no notification. Thanks for heads up Luthansa!!  
Heat, fires, now drought…Seriously the  Travel industry and Travelers could All use a break!

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Viking Status Request - If sailing now
7 hours ago, milling73 said:

but best info comes first hand from passengers.

lore23 has posted in the Rhine thread about their upcoming ship swap on the Rhine.

7 hours ago, milling73 said:

We fly Monday for Prague extension, if Luthansa manages to find plane / crew.

My goodness. I hope you are employing sarcasm. But seriously, I have heard of major problems, suitcases appear to be arriving all over the place or not at all. Had a friend over from US last week and their suitcase did not arrive at Düsseldorf where it was supposed to.

Hope your holiday is as best as it possibly can be under the current circumstances.

notamermaid

• Like 1

My brother is currently on the Viking RHINE GETAWAY - left Amsterdam to Basel on Monday.  They were bused from Speyer to Strasbourg today, 3+ hours.  Sounds like they expect to be bused again tomorrow.  We're on the same cruise out of Amsterdam next Sunday so we're watching and wondering what's in store for us.

The ramp picture was from Wednesday...the ramp is supposed to be level...

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

Edited by Godakakor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just say one thing: "Alter!" A modern German expression of astonishment. The first photo for me is "yes, that is very low, hardly ever see this close up" but the second is just so amazingly unusual. It should be in all brochures and on websites to explain what low water is about (the first one works too for that). And - do no get me wrong - is the perfect eye-opener for those who think they can get onto a river cruise ship in a wheelchair and not be a burden for the crew.

notamermaid

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

That last picture is one of the most excellent examples for past cruisers of how low the water levels are, good eye whoever took it!

You'd need an ice axe and crampons to climb up it!

Also a good shot for those wondering if river cruising is good for those with walkers and or chairs. This is not necessarily normal, but is a possibility, even when rafted to a ship that you can walk through the lobby.

Edited to apologise to @notamermaid, for some reason, your comment didn't show until after I posted, yet you were several hours ahead of me!

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Edited to apologise to @notamermaid, for some reason, your comment didn't show until after I posted, yet you were several hours ahead of me!

No need to apologize.

We obviously had the same thought. I mean, what is that incline?! Looks steeper than the road up to Marksburg castle :classic_wink:.

I hope we will hear from more river cruisers on the rivers now, would be good to know if the company can do justice to the original itinerary on the Rhine. The Rhine Gorge is not to be missed!

notamermaid

Looking at Marine Traffic this morning there seems to be next to no traffic on the Rhine between Bingen and Lahnstein.  This area was very crowded over the past few days as it appeared traffic was slowed down and backed up.  I see very crowded conditions on the river north of cologne.

17 minutes ago, Godakakor said:

Well - my brother's back from his cruise and both he and his travel partner have covid...

We did a land tour in Canada and came down with COVID 2 days after getting home.  I think it's the chance any of us take when travelling in these times.  Fortunately, we are double vaxxed and doubled boostered, and our symptoms were very mild.  If I hadn't had a weird chest cough for a day, my wife wouldn't have even tested herself.

Edited by sharkster77

We are on the Prague pre-trip start of the Grand European. We will bus to Budapest today, and we just received notice from Viking that due to current low water levels, our boat, the Vili, could not make it. We will be meeting the Mimir in Budapest instead. 
The notice did not give any further information, other than they hoped to maintain schedule for optional tours, etc. 

I will give updates as we travel. Rain has been in daily forecasts these last 3 days in Prague, but no rain received here. Mostly Sunny with temps in low 80’s.