Alaska,Explorer.Advice please.

We have done Regent cruise before and just one week in the med, some time ago.We have our name down for Alaska  in 2023.(awaiting Rocky Mountaineer to include more dates.)

We have a superior suite held 806.Is this a good cabin? I believe we get airline free upgrade to business if we book concierge and above.Just wondering if its worth changing booking to concierge at a small cost, just to get the upgrade save a few pennies.? Is there much difference in either suite type? If worth changing grade of suite, any to avoid? Thank you.

Edited by janecambridge
spelling

30 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

We have done Regent cruise before and just one week in the med, some time ago.We have our name down for Alaska  in 2023.(awaiting Rocky Mountaineer to include more dates.)

We have a superior suite held 806.Is this a good cabin? I believe we get airline free upgrade to business if we book concierge and above.Just wondering if its worth changing booking to concierge at a small cost, just to get the upgrade save a few pennies.? Is there much difference in either suite type? If worth changing grade of suite, any to avoid? Thank you.

I don't believe Concierge Suites get a free upgrade. All suites get Business Class when intercontinental.  But domestic travel is in economy.  So if your plan is to upgrade to Concierge for air upgrade, check it out for sure, you might be disappointed. 

The biggest advantage to Concierge, besides ship location, IMHO, is early booking of excursions, 4 internet logins,  and the one night hotel (plus a few other amenities).  So you have to decide if those things are worth the cost of the  upgrade.  

As for suites to avoid, like any other ship, avoid being under the pool deck if able and avoid being above noisy spaces .  Personally I look for close to mid-ship and try to have a cabin above and below.  One more thought.  I've never been on Explorer, but I also try to avoid cabins around the smoke stacks as you could possibly get some noise from intakes etc. and sometimes could smell some stack gas depending on winds.  Just a few thoughts. 

Edited by papaflamingo

I'm guessing from your name you are from GB (not Massachusetts US).  The flight categories are different depending on which country you are from.   In the US all suites on international flights are business class.   The Concierge suite also gives you priority for Specialty Restaurants which is important.  Personally, if you can swing it, I'd recommend a concierge suite over Veranda (Superior) for anyone who isn't Silver (20 nights).  Enjoy your trip.

Click suites > Concierge> Amenities

https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer

Edited:  I should add the caveat that your booking needs to be outside the booking dates for excursions (365 days I think not sure) & specialty restaurants, otherwise their isn't much of a benefit to concierge.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

I’m beginning to realise that concierge isn’t worth it for us on a 7night cruise in Alaska.Even though the balcony is bigger.  We love the balcony on all our cruises and it is a big factor in the suite choice for us. I would imagine we will be busy most days and certainly ‘up top’ so we don’t miss anything. 
Yes, I am from England. Shame we get treated differently. 
Thank you 

27 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

I’m beginning to realise that concierge isn’t worth it for us on a 7night cruise in Alaska.Even though the balcony is bigger.  We love the balcony on all our cruises and it is a big factor in the suite choice for us. I would imagine we will be busy most days and certainly ‘up top’ so we don’t miss anything. 
Yes, I am from England. Shame we get treated differently. 
Thank you 

The biggest advantage to concierge as papa mentions is getting priority on excursions & specialty restaurants.  If that isn't important then concierge makes no sense.  On our first regent cruise we went with veranda and got shut out of two excursions and had undesirable dates (last night) for specialty restaurants.  Regent is very hierarchical so most people in Veranda & Superior get priority because they have sailed many nights.  Have fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janecambridge said:

We have our name down for Alaska  in 2023.(awaiting Rocky Mountaineer to include more dates.)

We have a superior suite held 806.Is this a good cabin? I believe we get airline free upgrade to business if we book concierge and above.

806, being an F2 grade, is an excellent suite.

The offer for UK bookings to Alaska in 2023 at present is a 5 night pre-cruise inc Rocky Mountaineer for F grade & above on 3 specific cruises:

https://www.rssc.com/specials/ultimate-alaska-uk

The airline upgrade offer (UK bookings) is for Caribbean cruises:

https://www.rssc.com/specials/elevate-your-experience-uk

• Like 1