Most controversial cruise opinion??

Elsammo46

This may have been said before, but I'm not going back through 700 posts to see.  

Here is my unpopular cruise opinion.  People cancelling or rescheduling cruises because cruise line X will not be showing insert sporting event on the ship.  

All the big cruise lines carry the Super Bowl, the World Series, maybe hockey, but to cancel or refuse to cruise because you might miss a sporting event is just plain stupid.  I'm a huge sports fan, but, (1) the dates for major US sporting events are well known in advance (like a year in advance), (2) so unless you played for an NFL team and that team is in the playoffs, watch the highlights and read about it on the internet later.  Same for the Stanley Cup, the MLB All-Star game (I saw a post where someone was going to cancel because he/she could not watch the game), and college football.  

Again, I have multiple fantasy sports teams covering football and baseball, I regularly attend NFL and MLB games, but life is too short to worry about something like this.  

• Like 1

I'm low key, easy going most of the time. Seeing dirty dishes in the hallways is really disgusting and can be dangerous, I've seen people trip and fall over crap in the hallway. Keep them in your room until your room steward takes them away. 

• Like 3

jkbec 101.

i enjoyed your post. the last thing i want to do on cruise is turn on the t.v. maybe cnn to find out whats happening in the world, but that's about it.

regardless of the cruise length , 1st thing i do when i get home is find out how the dodgers are doing

Sporting events honestly I enjoy sitting poolside on a Sunday embarkation day to watch what ever football game is on. I get to watch Thursday night football next month on embarkation day as well.. Always fun. Never get my team lol becasue my Jets are horrible lol

1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

This may have been said before, but I'm not going back through 700 posts to see.  

Here is my unpopular cruise opinion.  People cancelling or rescheduling cruises because cruise line X will not be showing insert sporting event on the ship.  

All the big cruise lines carry the Super Bowl, the World Series, maybe hockey, but to cancel or refuse to cruise because you might miss a sporting event is just plain stupid.  I'm a huge sports fan, but, (1) the dates for major US sporting events are well known in advance (like a year in advance), (2) so unless you played for an NFL team and that team is in the playoffs, watch the highlights and read about it on the internet later.  Same for the Stanley Cup, the MLB All-Star game (I saw a post where someone was going to cancel because he/she could not watch the game), and college football.  

Again, I have multiple fantasy sports teams covering football and baseball, I regularly attend NFL and MLB games, but life is too short to worry about something like this.  

This post made me laugh. Do people seriously do this? OMgosh, I would never let some sporting event control my cruise...ok to be transparent, I don't watch sports anymore. I used to religiously watch the Braves, New England Revolution, Cubs, and others, but I sure did miss a lot of games, because of...well, ya know, life. 

Haha, thanks for the laugh!

On 8/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, styxfire said:

I SEVERELY MISS the dancing waiters’ conga lines in the main dining room.  !!!  The unexpected dance-through, of all the nicely-dressed men, and hunting to find your own waiters amongst the pack…. I completely enjoyed those brief but entertaining minutes during formal dining.  

Now, the large dining halls and weekly assigned waiters are basically a thing of the past, but I remember them fondly.

Just a note: On Disney your waiters are yours all week, there are 3 MDRS you rotate through, and they come with you. You gotta put up with The Mouse, but the waiters are incredibly entertaining and yours for the week. 😃

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

I agree with this! To be fair, I don't think it is just NCL who creates the scheduling pressures, but NCL is the one touting "Freestyle cruising." I find the sea day Freestyle Dailies to be especially ironic - they say "Feel free to follow the sun instead of a schedule," but then have 3 pages of scheduled events!

Now, to be fair, I know that I can choose to ignore all those scheduled events, and just wander the ship as I please. I can go to the buffet or O'Sheehan's or call room service any time I feel hungry. So I CAN actually have no schedule. But there is a lot of pressure to make those reservations for everything from shore excursions to specialty restaurants to shows to art classes. It's an interesting dynamic...

"But there is a lot of pressure to make those reservations for everything"... what kind of pressure, from whom?  There are rarely appealing ship's activities; I'll make arrangements for anything that's important, like a tour of the bridge or a painting class.  The few ship's activities I've tried have been quite lame, we do book our ShoreX to be sure we see and do the good stuff.  Otherwise, we wander around, doing whatever we wish whenever we wish.  We'll go out in the morning, come back to have a glass of wine with lunch, then take a nap with a book.  Our most enjoyed activity is trivia in a nice crowded bar.  We dine early, never have any trouble with lines or crowds ... we're cruising to relax and have no schedule.  I suppose people feel odd spending money on a cruise and having people ask about it when they get home ... so they want to do lots of stuff in order to not look foolish.  Otherwise, why would you make a reservation for anything?  Why would you feel pressure at all?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Why would this bother you?  People are weird, people are wonderful, and yes, people can be stupid.  But why would you care?  I happen to think that spectator sports are mind-numbing ... but sports freaks don't insist that I partake, so it doesn't bother me.  My husband LOVES baseball and likes a couple of other sports somewhat, but he would never insist that I join him.  Why would anyone care about someone dumb enough to cancel a cruise because some game can't be seen out on the open ocean?