Princess keeps changing my booking...

Thrak

2 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Is it one of those wake-view cabins?

Are there cabins the exact same category showing booked?

I still think that it is possible that they are preparing to use that area for Covid isolation?

They are certainly not going to say that, at all.

It does look like something is going on if this keeps happening over and over with that cabin.

If you had been bumped for that cabin to be used for other passengers (not covid) then I don't see how you would be able to get it back.

For sure a mid-ship area would not be an isolation area.

I would imagine these isolation areas would be forward of the forward elevators, or aft of the aft elevators.

They would want to eliminate any other cross traffic.

If this happens yet again, and you see an acceptable cabin that is mid-ship, and you do not like the specific one assigned, I might consider going with a mid-ship cabin.  

Or, there is the possibility that then those cabins are all filled, they would have to move you to an even bigger upgrade.

They keep moving us to a mid-ship cabin. Most of the other cabins around the one we booked are taken but a few are still showing as available. It's an aft, inside cabin on Riviera Deck. We chose it because my wife wants to just duck out the back door to "her pool". Every time they move us it's to a mid-ship interior which they think is an upgrade. My TA is quite experienced and has had each booking - including the original booking - marked as "No Upgrade".  He's getting pretty frustrated with moving us back where we want to be only to have them move us elsewhere again. This is definitely not a "quarantine cabin" issue. It's just idiocy and likely the result of some stupid automagic algorithm.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

For sure a mid-ship area would not be an isolation area.

I would imagine these isolation areas would be forward of the forward elevators, or aft of the aft elevators.

The quarantine areas tend to be the entire port side on one deck of a ship.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

They keep moving us to a mid-ship cabin. Most of the other cabins around the one we booked are taken but a few are still showing as available. It's an aft, inside cabin on Riviera Deck

Definitely NOT a quarantine cabin, AFAIK they only use balcony cabins for quarantine so people can get fresh air.

Theo

• Like 3

I do not think that an inside cabin would be an actual quarantine cabin.  

But, all cabins in a quarantine area will be set aside.

I have heard of lower decks being quarantine cabins.  Not Riviera.  

Perhaps easier to service these cabins with everything they need, food, etc????

This whole thing is beginning to sound crazy!!!

On 8/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, Thrak said:

They keep moving us to a mid-ship cabin. Most of the other cabins around the one we booked are taken but a few are still showing as available. It's an aft, inside cabin on Riviera Deck. We chose it because my wife wants to just duck out the back door to "her pool". Every time they move us it's to a mid-ship interior which they think is an upgrade. My TA is quite experienced and has had each booking - including the original booking - marked as "No Upgrade".  He's getting pretty frustrated with moving us back where we want to be only to have them move us elsewhere again. This is definitely not a "quarantine cabin" issue. It's just idiocy and likely the result of some stupid automagic algorithm.

Depending upon the number of cabins booked and the location another possibility could be staffing and balancing workload for stewards.   We recently booked a cruise about 10 days before departure.  When we booked there were very few cabins available.  After we boarded several cabins that had shown to be unavailable when we were booking were empty. (the ship only had about 2400 on board).

I asked both the Steward and Customer Service.  They both gave the same answer.  That with some limited staffing they were trying to manage the cabin locations to balance out the workload. Since they had fewer stewards that pre-Covid, they were assigned more rooms and they were trying to balance the number of empty cabins in each section.

I wonder if staffing could actually be a reason for this.

I know that Princess is not going to actually say anything, at all, or even obviously mark off specific areas beforehand. Whatever the issue, they are just going to shuffle passengers as they think they need to.  The person who thinks that looking at cabins showing availability would give some insight might to be on the right track.

The thing is, I wonder if there are sailings that are going at nearly full capacity?

The idea of a limited capacity ship sounds good to me, if would reduce any crowding!

As long as there weren't issues handling dining.

10 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I wonder if staffing could actually be a reason for this.

I know that Princess is not going to actually say anything, at all, or even obviously mark off specific areas beforehand. Whatever the issue, they are just going to shuffle passengers as they think they need to.  The person who thinks that looking at cabins showing availability would give some insight might to be on the right track.

The thing is, I wonder if there are sailings that are going at nearly full capacity?

The idea of a limited capacity ship sounds good to me, if would reduce any crowding!

As long as there weren't issues handling dining.

On the cruise I was on it was not so much limiting capacity, as it was to balance out the number of occupied cabins in each section.  As more cabins were booked they would open more cabins, but doing it in a way that balanced out the workload for each Steward.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, Thrak said:

Our favorite area. For our Nov. cruise, we had booked "back there" and got moved to Lido mid-forward (L249). This is on the Sapphire. I looked at the deck plans and decided to stay there. Close to elevators, stairs, pool and hot dog/hamburger/pizza 🤢/ice cream and not too far from the buffet.

If we like it, it will be our new "go to". Take a look @Thrak

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I sincerely doubt this is due to "load balancing" for the stewards or anything other than stupidity. I checked just now and we are still in the correct cabin. The "snip" below shows the current status of the area with our cabin highlighted. I never thought a cabin in this location would prove to be hard to keep.

image.png.7f771c0c27820cf77dd3c4c0c7402a0a.png

• Like 3