First time cruising, what port check-in time should I choose?

Totally newbie here, never cruised before. Booked my first NCL to AK next Aug, departing from Seattle. According to a lot of YouTube videos, it is suggested that I should select the check-in time at the port as early as possible. I did select 9:30 am as the earliest option. Then I got the eDoc which says that the boarding time is 12 pm. So here is my question(s):

1, how long does it usually take to finish checking in? 30 mins? an hour? I found the schedule on that day and looks like there will be 2 other cruises at a different port, we are at port 66 and they will be at port 91, will that affect check-in speed?

2, I am concerned about check-in being finished too fast and we have nothing else to do besides staying there for no reason until the embarkation, cuz we are from local and there is really nothing for us to do/see... What do you suggest as a reasonable time for check-in, so we won't be standing there doing nothing till boarding for too long?

Thanks.

I have no experience with NCL check-in in Seattle but 9:30 am is early if boarding is 12 pm - I would choose 11 am - It is also not likely that cabins will be available before 1 to 2 pm - but then of course there will be an option for lunch and take a tour around the ship.

It’s kind of up to you. Usually people are pretty anxious to get on the ship. But also there’s the I have to check out of a hotel aspect, which is us. We usually wouldn’t have anywhere to go other than the port after check out. 
I have no ncl experience but generally cabins aren’t ready until 1pm. So anyone who boards earlier than that has to keep their carry on luggage with them until their room is ready. If you don’t mind doing that, then I always say earlier is better. Then you can grab lunch as soon as you board the ship. 

I've never cruised out of Seattle,,,and my only NCL cruise was a LONG time ago...but, in general:

I would disregard that noon boarding.  Most cruise lines, for most ships in most ports start boarding before that.  Think about it like this:  Ships have their scheduled "arrival time"...which is meaningless.  the ship usually has to handle some things on the business/immigration/customs end before they start unloading passengers.  Most ship, no matter when in the early morning they arrived, start letting people off around 7:30ish...and try to get everyone to clear out of their cabins by 8:00-8:30 so they can start cleaning cabins.  Then they move everyone off in groups and try to have the last group off some time between 9-10.  Most ships then start loading people some time between 11:00 and 12:00.  When we were on the RCCL Navigator OTS three weeks ago, we were among the first to actually board--and were on the ship at 10:20--the earliest I have ever boarded a ship.  

9:30 seems way too early.  NCL is probably anticipating the check-in process to take longer than usual and there is probably a small holding period between check-in and boarding...but I doubt it's 2.5 hours.

Were it me, I'd keep that early time.  Bring something to read or do...but I would expect you'll be on well before noon.

Cabins won't be ready but there will be places on the ship to go.  When we boarded Navigator that early, not even the buffet was open yet (Opened 11:30)...but there were a couple of open places to get munchies up on the pool deck...and some bars.

I like to get there as early as possible--to start my vacatrion ASAP...And there likely won't be lines or crowds that early...a little later they migh tbe still backlogged plus have a lot of people there ahead of their time slots...Get it over with...start relaxing sooner...

11 hours ago, edwardzhang0945 said:

1, how long does it usually take to finish checking in? 30 mins? an hour? I found the schedule on that day and looks like there will be 2 other cruises at a different port, we are at port 66 and they will be at port 91, will that affect check-in speed?

The two piers (66 & 91) are a couple of miles apart, so no impact on your check-in process.

I am not sure how strict NCL is with arrival times.  I am guessing that you are on either the Bliss or Encore which both hold close to 4,000 passengers.  Earlier might be better if they let passengers into the terminal as they arrive (there isn't any real waiting outside the building as it is on a busy waterfront road).

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've never cruised out of Seattle,,,and my only NCL cruise was a LONG time ago...but, in general:

I would disregard that noon boarding.  Most cruise lines, for most ships in most ports start boarding before that.  Think about it like this:  Ships have their scheduled "arrival time"...which is meaningless.  the ship usually has to handle some things on the business/immigration/customs end before they start unloading passengers.  Most ship, no matter when in the early morning they arrived, start letting people off around 7:30ish...and try to get everyone to clear out of their cabins by 8:00-8:30 so they can start cleaning cabins.  Then they move everyone off in groups and try to have the last group off some time between 9-10.  Most ships then start loading people some time between 11:00 and 12:00.  When we were on the RCCL Navigator OTS three weeks ago, we were among the first to actually board--and were on the ship at 10:20--the earliest I have ever boarded a ship.  

9:30 seems way too early.  NCL is probably anticipating the check-in process to take longer than usual and there is probably a small holding period between check-in and boarding...but I doubt it's 2.5 hours.

Were it me, I'd keep that early time.  Bring something to read or do...but I would expect you'll be on well before noon.

Cabins won't be ready but there will be places on the ship to go.  When we boarded Navigator that early, not even the buffet was open yet (Opened 11:30)...but there were a couple of open places to get munchies up on the pool deck...and some bars.

I like to get there as early as possible--to start my vacatrion ASAP...And there likely won't be lines or crowds that early...a little later they migh tbe still backlogged plus have a lot of people there ahead of their time slots...Get it over with...start relaxing sooner...

Thanks a lot! Yeah 9:30 is way too early, I'm changing it to 10:30 now

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The two piers (66 & 91) are a couple of miles apart, so no impact on your check-in process.

I am not sure how strict NCL is with arrival times.  I am guessing that you are on either the Bliss or Encore which both hold close to 4,000 passengers.  Earlier might be better if they let passengers into the terminal as they arrive (there isn't any real waiting outside the building as it is on a busy waterfront road).

Yeah, I will be on Encore, can't wait for Alaska! Thanks for the advise

I just saw the Encore sail off yesterday out of pier 66.  It's true, a 9:30 arrival time will leave you waiting, and then waiting more for your cabin to be ready even after you board the ship.  

I have boarded other cruise lines much later in the day (yet still nowhere near sailaway time), and just waltzed right on board--in fact, there were more staff in the terminal than passengers, standing around waiting for work to do.  Boarding much later can work out really well--all that time and hassle waiting in lines can be better spent instead touring the port.  You just have to manage where to stow your luggage before that, and how to cover one meal that you'll have to pay for yourself.  As far as I'm concerned, just eat a hearty breakfast at Days Inn and then a light lunch at 2pm; then at 5-5:30 dinner.

• Like 1

I just returned from the Encore.  I had selected 11:30am as a boarding time but we woke up and didn’t feel like breakfast and just wanted to get out of the hotel so we walked across the street to Pier 66.  No one checked boarding times and we were fine arriving at 10:30.  We were in the Haven and were the first group allowed on the ship when it was ready at 11:15am.

• Like 1

I'm local too and like to arrive about 10:45. It's before the long lines, but not much waiting to board. Given that you are also local, you can plan your luggage so you have minimal "carry on" of just essentials like meds, money, etc. No need to shlep a larger carry on around the ship until rooms are ready. I generally have a smallish beach bag and my husband a backpack.