Paris hotel

chloe kitty

We will be in Paris in November.  I started looking for a hotel, and only became confused.  We would like to be fairly central, and near a metro station.  We will arrive at Orly and leave from CDG.  Anyone have a suggestion?  We are looking for a moderate to above hotel.  About $150. to $200./ night.  Also what areas are best and most safe?  Appreciate any help.  Thank you

You are talking about a city with over 1500 hotels and many other smaller B&Bs, etc.  You might want to start by buying a copy of Rick Steves Paris and learning something about Paris and its various arrondisements (neighborhoods).   Once you have decided if you prefer staying on the Right or Left Bank and which arrondisements best fit your wants/desires, we can help.  Otherwise, we could probably write a book on Paris, but Rick Steves (and others) have already done that work :).  Your hotel budget of under $200/nt will not get you into any of the top hotels, but there are plenty of lower price European style hotels that would work,  Just understand that with that budget you will be looking at mostly budget hotels although some of those can be quite charming.   Meanwhile, start doing your homework.    

Getting back to the arrondisement question we would suggest starting your research looking at the Marais (4th arrondisement) on the Right Bank and the Latin Quarter (5th) on the Left Bank.  

As far as personal safety, while Paris is a relatively safe city it is a big city with big city problems.  This means tourists need to take basic precautions against pickpockets and avoid quiet dark places after dark. 

Since you are arriving at Orly and departing from CDG (opposite sides of the city) this is not real helpful in choosing a neighborhood.  You can get to/from both airports on public transport (RER or bus), book a shared transfer, or spend more money and grab a taxi.  

Hank

The Quartier Latin has some advantages, yet only you know if they are such for you:

The RER to CDG stops right there, thus you can reach the airport by oublic transportation without connections - very big advantage with luggage.

For many it is an quintessential Paris area, nourished by pictures, film and books from the fifties.

Many sights are walkable, so are restaurants and bars.

I just left Paris today.  Stayed in the St Germain area.  I thought it was a great area.  Metro and RER access.  Easy walking around.  Very active still at midnight.  I felt perfectly safe walking around and back to my hotel at midnight.  Don’t know price points around though.  Stayed at Hotel des Marrionniers.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 7:38 AM, slidergirl said:

I just left Paris today.  Stayed in the St Germain area. 

Good to know, we are planning to stay in St Germain district pre-river cruise in September 2023.  I found reviews that looked good for the Hotel D'Angleterre.  Booked three rooms for four nights at around $250 per night.    

16 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Good to know, we are planning to stay in St Germain district pre-river cruise in September 2023.  I found reviews that looked good for the Hotel D'Angleterre.  Booked three rooms for four nights at around $250 per night.    

That hotel is about a block or 2 from where I stayed.  In between the two on Rue Jacob you'll find a Lauderee macaron shop, if you happen to need a little sweet.  I found Breizah Cafe - I really loved their buckwheat crepes.  it's across from le Comptoir restaurant - a nice bistro for dinner (no reservations, so you have to wait in line - i waited for 30 minutes).   I walked all around that area into the night.  A really fun and lively area.  Enjoy!

• Like 1