Viking River cruise dinner attire

sunny100

My husband and I are taking our first river cruise in December on Viking, the Christmas Market Danube Cruise.  I've done some research and read several posts about dinner attire,  including several reviews stating that dinner attire is casual, one review stating that dinner attire is 'elegant casual' (an oxymoron in itself), and several reviews stating that dinner is 'business casual.' I'm assuming that it will be cool on the boat itself, given the month and location, so I would like to know if a nice sweater and black jeans are allowed in the dining room during dinner? It's not elegant casual, nor business casual, but very presentable.  If not, do you have any advice on clothing options for dinner? 

Thank you so much!

34 minutes ago, sunny100 said:

My husband and I are taking our first river cruise in December on Viking, the Christmas Market Danube Cruise.  I've done some research and read several posts about dinner attire,  including several reviews stating that dinner attire is casual, one review stating that dinner attire is 'elegant casual' (an oxymoron in itself), and several reviews stating that dinner is 'business casual.' I'm assuming that it will be cool on the boat itself, given the month and location, so I would like to know if a nice sweater and black jeans are allowed in the dining room during dinner? It's not elegant casual, nor business casual, but very presentable.  If not, do you have any advice on clothing options for dinner? 

Thank you so much!

You see more and more jeans at dinner these days. Black jeans stand out less than blue jeans and as long as they clean and in good repair... you should be fine. Collarless shirts are still a no-no. I try to stick with a nice button up shirt for dinner and time in the lounge. 

• Like 1

Inside the boat is airconditioned, I have never found the restaurant to be too hot or too cold.

I like to dress up, but as I am retired there's now few opportunities to do so. If one is on holiday from a job where you have to wear certain clothes you might like to be casual on your river cruise. Viking are relaxed about what you  wear.

This is from the Dress Code section of Vikings FAQs

There are no “formal nights” in the evening; recommended evening dress is “elegant casual.” For ladies, this may include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; and for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional. 

But as @gourmetgirlsays, you won't get turned away. Go with what you're comfortable in.

On Viking Mimir - others are correct. Dress code is casual or nice in dining room or terrace. There are some in skirts, dress, slacks/top, leggings / long top. Nice shoes, tennis shoes, sandals - and all are fine. It really depends more on how much luggage brought, and your personal preference. Truly it is your dress preference. Wear what you wear to eat out at home. During day on tours or on boat - it is the same. Wear what you wear to go for night out or city / sightseeing at home. 
if you want to dress up, and you brought enough clothes to do that - you will look nice and enjoy doing so. If you made do with carry-on (as we did) I packed a couple summer dresses, long skirts, capris, and long pants with tops that all intermix and wrinkle-free material. Do that and there will be plenty of others in same.
My husband is wearing mostly cargo shorts / Polo shirts. He has khakis  n  black polo jeans as well. Those get him anywhere. It is quite warm right now -some are wearing shorts in main dining room and no one cares. 
In our Vienna city tour, sitting on bench watching people pass - I saw women in nice dresses, shorts, jeans, skirts, -  literally about everything - one thing that many did wear in common is Tennis Shoes!! Do not bring high heel fashion - bring comfortable walking shoes and from what we are seeing about 90% shoes worn are either sandals or plain tennis shoes - worn with everthing - men and women….with dresses, skirts, pants, shorts. 

until the airline - luggage crises improves I strongly rec omend minimal packing. 
At least 3 couples in our group were days without luggage. And only thanks to Viking tracking it down - did they get their bags. 

On our 2019 Viking cruise, a few folks got dressed to the nines for dinner, and frankly, they really stood out.  The "uniform" for men was a polo or button down shirt and chino-type pants, and a top and slacks for the women.  A couple of days time was tight so I went to dinner wearing the LL Bean hiking pants I like to wear when touring (they look good and take up almost no space in luggage) and my attire fit in just fine.

We cruised in October, but I have heard those who cruised in the summer say that in hot weather, nice shorts were common.  Jeans in good shape are fine as well.

Edited by sharkster77