Main Dining Room question

carefree lady

1 hour ago, dandee2 said:

Hi. Any Gluten-Free item on the menu?

They are excellent with gluten free diets.

FIrst, let them know in advance.  (I'm forgetting what the 'special needs' group e-address is - sorry.)  However, there will be GF items *already* on each menu, labelled.

Let them know if you have a "cross-contamination" type allergy.
DH was diagnosed quite late in life with true celiac disease, but fortunately, it's not one where mere contamination will cause severe problems.  We do tell them that, so they don't need to take some of the extra precautions that would otherwise be needed.

If you want something that's normally not GF, ask (in advance, of course) if they might be able to prepare it for you GF.  They'll really try to please if possible.

Fortunately, these days, there is so much that is or can be made GF, it's not as much of a problem as it probably was some time ago.

When we went to Italy several years ago, soon after the diagnosis, we were pretty worried.  It turned out that all of the restaurants had GF offerings, including... pasta. LOTS of GF pasta!  It just took them a bit longer to prepare it.  What a nice surprise.  Yum. 🙂

And I'm sure you already do something like this, but whenever we eat out (and each meal on a ship or at a resort, etc.), we always remind the waitstaff when ordering, and then when we are served.  Better safe than sorry, etc.

Enjoy!

GC

I am also gluten-free (tho not celiac) and have been very impressed with how Oceania handles it.  Every night when I go to my cabin, I get a copy of the menu for the next day.  If I have reservations in one of the Specialty Restaurants, I receive the menu for that venue.  If no restaurant res, then I receive the menu for the Grand Dining Room.  I circle the items I want, then they prepare it gluten-free.  The only place I have a problem is in the Terrace Cafe at lunch or dinner.  They don’t mark the items on the buffet as GF even though I have requested this many times.  I have to ask the servers to go and ask the chef if a particular dish is gluten-free.  They are always happy to accommodate me but the whole process takes longer.  Oh well.  Even at tea, they have gluten-free scones and cookies—just ask one of the servers and they will be happy to go to the main galley and bring you some.  

Be sure to call Oceania and put that information into your profile a few weeks in advance of your cruise.  

Bon Voyage,

Billie

On Marina now.  Grand dining room menu repeats many items. There are a few new items each night.  We ate in main dining room 4 nights in a row. We grew rather tired of it.  We also were amazed at the size of portions. Some were huge. Some were tiny.  Got as a main course shrimp with pasta. There were 3 shrimp and a very small amount of pasta..maybe 2 bites.  The Jacques pepin chicken was huge.  Order several courses or you may be hungry.

The specialty restaurants are very good. Terrace buffet at night is also good. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

They are excellent with gluten free diets.

FIrst, let them know in advance.  (I'm forgetting what the 'special needs' group e-address is - sorry.)  However, there will be GF items *already* on each menu, labelled.

Enjoy!

GC

Hey @GeezerCouple are there now GF items labelled on the menu? That would be handy! Didn't see such in August 2022 on Nautica but open to progress 🙂 

Process is as @mountain grandma describes. Embarcation day you end up having a longer conversation with the wait (or buffet) staff - just let them know you are a restricted diner and they'll take it from there.

35 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Hey @GeezerCouple are there now GF items labelled on the menu? That would be handy! Didn't see such in August 2022 on Nautica but open to progress 🙂 

Process is as @mountain grandma describes. Embarcation day you end up having a longer conversation with the wait (or buffet) staff - just let them know you are a restricted diner and they'll take it from there.

IF I remember correctly, and it's been a few years now thanks to other cruises and especially COVID (grrrr), then there may have been a little symbol, much like is used for vegetarian items (but a different symbol, of course!).  Or perhaps a letter (V, GF...).  I am not 100% sure about this on Oceania's menus, but I think we were able to use the menu plus ask about other items.  It's been quite some time since we have *not* seen this on any nicer menu... but alas, it's also been "quite some time" since we've seen any menu at all! 😡

GC

• Like 1

We were on Sirena recently and took advantage of being able to order room service from the MDR menu during MDR hours. We did this a couple of times for lunch. Even though the expanded room-service menu is great, it's nice to be able to get anything you want from the MDR in your room.

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

The Grand Dining Room menu on Marina indeed is on a two-week cycle for dinner. We just enjoyed our last evening meal there, the yummy Beef Wellington entree. (We always eat at Polo Grill the night before we disembark.) 

Not always 2 weeks - particularly on Insignia during ATW months.