With NCL transfer from LaGuardia

happytotravel

I would allow two hours of travel time on the shuttle from LaGuardia to the mid town west side of Manhattan from the time the shuttle leaves the pick up point.

While you may be lucky and zip right in (forty minutes), any New Yorker will wisely allow for the traffic accident, road construction, and random everyday A-hole doing something stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

I would allow two hours of travel time on the shuttle from LaGuardia to the mid town west side of Manhattan from the time the shuttle leaves the pick up point.

While you may be lucky and zip right in (forty minutes), any New Yorker will wisely allow for the traffic accident, road construction, and random everyday A-hole doing something stupid.

Thanks, I'll check with NCL to see when they think the transfer will leave the airport.

happytotravel

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You forgot about the joy of just being able to get out of LGA at all in the first place. With all the construction that alone may take 30+ mins to get onto the highway.

JFK all the way baby! (I'm biased... it's a 15min ride there for me if I hit the Belt at the right time of day)

9 hours ago, happytotravel said:

Hi, Just wondering what check in time is best to choose when coming in with their transfer onto the JOY. I haven't had to do this on my previous cruises. Thanks, happytotravel

Pick an early time. NCL uses 50 passenger motor coaches to transfer passengers from the airport to the dock. They run continuously, but you have to wait until the bus is completely full before it leaves. That may be many inbound flights. There is no "departure time". 

14 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

You forgot about the joy of just being able to get out of LGA at all in the first place. With all the construction that alone may take 30+ mins to get onto the highway.

JFK all the way baby! (I'm biased... it's a 15min ride there for me if I hit the Belt at the right time of day)

I did mention allowing for road construction.

I used to live in Bay Ridge. Going to JFK should have been twenty minutes for me, but I still always allowed  an hour for expected no traffic times.

Arriving on a weekend or weekday, not just morning "rush" hours for commuter traffic, can affect whether one can unexpectedly run smack into road constructions, closure & detours, etc. to/from the cruise terminal(s) in the metro NY area - it's a given.   Friend of ours came from S.E. Brooklyn to N.E. Queens yesterday (Bensonhurst,  a little closer than Bay Ridge toward JFK - spent an hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic just to get past JFK's onto VWE or Rt-678 North)  

One can and should factor in these unknown traffic bottleneck whether it's going to/from LGA and/or EWR when flying, no matter what.  LGA is closer and there are multiple ways of getting to/from there & midtown Manhattan with a good driver & assisted with real-time GPS traffic navigation guidance.  

Buses or motorcoach, with the exception of certain designated airporter buses are generally not permitted to travel on parkways in the State of NY & that includes the Grand Central Pkwy linked with LGA, and they aren't permitted on the West Side "Hwy" or FDR Drive (East River) - and will always take longer to get to/from MCT where NCL ships are docked.  Buses near the MCT have easier & good access to the nearby Lincoln Tunnel during peak travel time with exclusive bus lanes - weekdays, advantage is EWR, usually but not a guarantee, i.e. a minor accident or vehicle breakdown ... and all bets are off the wall.  Cars, taxis, Uber, private car service (Carmel or Dial 7, etc.) and limos (black car) will have the advantage of not being restricted on taking the best/fastest route to/from the cruise terminal - airport.  

OP is flying in from Canada, earliest arrival is typically between 7:30 to 8:30 am - it's quite possible the first NCL transfer bus will fill up before/by 8:45 and leave for MCT ... getting there before 10 am - look at your airline tickets and plan the pier check-in time accordingly.  

LGA's brand new, modernized Terminal B has officially re-opened since January 2022 and Terminal C (now inter-connected to Terminal D ... both well known to Delta flyers) had its grand re-opening this June, the multi-year (6 years) airport redevelopment project is nearly final completion - massive gridlock that once spilled out onto the GCP (Grand Central Parkway) are now history.  Granted, some of the interior / airport access roadways & terminal connectors aren't fully finished & wide open - it is now a much better experience for air travelers using ground transportation to/from LGA.  

https://qns.com/2022/07/laguardia-airport-redevelopment-major-accolade/

• Like 1