Unvaxxed Kids

Where are people getting their unvaxxed kids tested nowadays? (We have a 5 year old cruiser)

I know it’s gotta get done 3 days prior to the cruise, but last we cruised in February we used Walgreens for their NAAT test, with no issues. Test results within a few hours.

Now I’m hearing that isn’t an option? Or at least a free/no cost option?

Edited by Motor City

• Motor City changed the title to Unvaxxed Kids

We were going to have our 4 year old tested at CVS, they still do PCR tests. However, it turns out he tested positive a little over a week ago and will use a positive PCR test and a Certificate of Recovery to board. With that there is no need for him to have the PCR test three days prior, which would most likely come back positive anyway.

mac_tlc

If you have any of the free government test kits, see if OnPoint has online telehealth appointments available.

I always do my testing online at home.  I've used BinaxNOW before I found out about OnPoint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

If you have any of the free government test kits, see if OnPoint has online telehealth appointments available.

I always do my testing online at home.  I've used BinaxNOW before I found out about OnPoint.

Unvaccinated kids need to have a PCR test, not an antigen test. The government provided ones are antigen tests.

15 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We were going to have our 4 year old tested at CVS, they still do PCR tests. However, it turns out he tested positive a little over a week ago and will use a positive PCR test and a Certificate of Recovery to board. With that there is no need for him to have the PCR test three days prior, which would most likely come back positive anyway.

mac_tlc

hmm,,,interesting angle.

Our 5 year old just recovered from Covid, as did our whole family.

We are cruising at the end of Sept, how exactly does the proof of recovery work?

Anyone else recently cruised with an unvaxxed kid, can share where they got tested?

thanks!

3 minutes ago, Motor City said:

hmm,,,interesting angle.

We are cruising at the end of Sept, how exactly does the proof of recovery work?

Anyone else recently cruised with an unvaxxed kid, can share where they got tested?

thanks!

Proof of a positive test can be used for up to 3 months, I believe, in place of a negative test.

16 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Best make sure about that.  When we went in May we were told a COR on applies to vaccinated so our unvaccinated kids could not use a COR to avoid the testing.  I’ve read it has worked for others however.  I’m just reporting what we were told by an officer who worked on the ship. 

56 minutes ago, Motor City said:

hmm,,,interesting angle.

thanks!

We had them tested in May at CVS and more recently we had to cancel our current cruise sailing (would be on it now) due to illness.  However, our kids were scheduled for CVS with a PCR and there was no charge.  But this seems to depend on your situation and the answers to the questions.  In our case, when I filled out the online form it asked if they had symptoms within the past 14 days and they did have runny noses that started 13 days prior.  So I said yes and put in that date.  I’m sure that caused no charge.  It worked out perfect because this is outside the window for when Royal wants to know if they have symptoms since I filled out the CVS form nearly a week before the cruise.  In the end my wife got sick and we couldn’t go anyhow.  But that is how it worked for us just recently.  

Edited by topnole

53 minutes ago, Motor City said:

hmm,,,interesting angle.

thanks!

When we cruised in May I wondered about the COR.   An officer told us you can’t use proof of recovery for an unvaccinated child.  Others have said they used one for an unvaccinated child. Either they slipped through the cracks (which I could easily see happening) or the officer was wrong (which is also possible).  Not sure what is right,  but I know what I was told.  

8 hours ago, topnole said:

Best make sure about that.  When we went in May we were told a COR on applies to vaccinated so our unvaccinated kids could not use a COR to avoid the testing.  I’ve read it has worked for others however.  I’m just reporting what we were told by an officer who worked on the ship. 

I have verified it with Royal, checked with our genie for the cruise , who double checked with the guest administration manager on board. They all confirmed. 

Honestly, it makes perfect sense that the COR applies to unvaccinated kids. Those are the only ones who need a PCR test to board (3 days prior). It’s exactly that test that can show positive for months after infection. A vaccinated person can get an antigen test 2 days prior, which is much more likely to be negative weeks after infection. They don’t even need to go the COR route, just do the antigen test that is less likely to continue showing positive. Of course the COR in that position is good insurance.

44 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I have verified it with Royal, checked with our genie for the cruise , who double checked with the guest administration manager on board. They all confirmed. 

Honestly, it makes perfect sense that the COR applies to unvaccinated kids. Those are the only ones who need a PCR test to board (3 days prior). It’s exactly that test that can show positive for months after infection. A vaccinated person can get an antigen test 2 days prior, which is much more likely to be negative weeks after infection. They don’t even need to go the COR route, just do the antigen test that is less likely to continue showing positive. Of course the COR in that position is good insurance.

I’m curious, what ship and genie?   Our genie in May told me our kids couldn’t have used a COR due to being unvaccinated.   Genie’s tend to know their stuff well and this one has been doing it for a long time.  

33 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m curious, what ship and genie?   Our genie in May told me our kids couldn’t have used a COR due to being unvaccinated.   Genie’s tend to know their stuff well and this one has been doing it for a long time.  

Harmony of the Seas departing 8/14, our genie is Rajesh (Raj) Jogi. 

Could also be that the COR process has been refined as time has gone on. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

10 hours ago, Motor City said:

hmm,,,interesting angle.

thanks!

You need a positive PCR test, taken at least 11 but less than 90 days before departure. You can get a Certificate of Recovery from your doctor, or CVS minute clinic does it. My daughter got hers online using MDamywhere.com. 
They will not do it for anyone under 18. 

The COR states the date the positive test was taken, date of onset of symptoms, and date of COR issuance. That plus the positive test result should do the trick ——— I’ll let you know in 10 days. 

mac_tlc

18 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Harmony of the Seas departing 8/14, our genie is Rajesh (Raj) Jogi. 

Could also be that the COR process has been refined as time has gone on. 

mac_tlc

Maybe so.  The genies are normally spot on.  

Have a great trip.  We are on Harmony later this year, but doing a CLS this time.  On Allure we had the deck 8 aqua suite.  Maybe I can Royal up to star class, but I’m content with a CLS this time.  

35 minutes ago, topnole said:

Maybe so.  The genies are normally spot on.  

Have a great trip.  We are on Harmony later this year, but doing a CLS this time.  On Allure we had the deck 8 aqua suite.  Maybe I can Royal up to star class, but I’m content with a CLS this time.  

Thanks! We did the Aquatheatre suite on deck 8 on Allure last summer. Such a great balcony with great views!  

I plan on doing a LIVE thread , probably starting next week .

mac_tlc

• Like 1