Royal Caribbean Mystery Dinner, When can I sign up and Is it Worth it?

I saw this question asked on the Forums, but it was back in 2018 ()https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524404-mystery-dinner-worth-it/ ), and since we have a cruise at the end of August on the Explorer of the Seas, I wanted to see if folks think it is worth it.  I know that cruises have just recently started back up in full swing, but we were really interested in this, and wanted to see your opinions.  Not sure of the price, as I cant get Royal to tell us the price, or when we can reserve it, but the description at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-activities/mystery-dinner-theater says "Limited capacity" and if they dont open it up for registrations prior to boarding....then when they spring it on us once Onboard......We'll need to make a quick decision before they sell out!

So.....What say Ye?  

We went to the Mystery dinner once but many, many years ago. We thought it was "meh" and probably a 1 and done for us. About a dozen or so of us sat at a large table for the dinner. Throughout the meal, the actors would appear and the act was based on a "Who done it?" scenario (murder mystery). We thought our actors weren't very into it and the performance was just ok. Try to read more reviews to see if it has improved at all or even if they have enough staff to put on a good performance. We would not book it again, unless we heard better reviews. Good luck and hope you have a great cruise! Cheers!

Oh and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

We went to the Mystery dinner once but many, many years ago. We thought it was "meh" and probably a 1 and done for us. About a dozen or so of us sat at a large table for the dinner. Throughout the meal, the actors would appear and the act was based on a "Who done it?" scenario (murder mystery). We thought our actors weren't very into it and the performance was just ok. Try to read more reviews to see if it has improved at all or even if they have enough staff to put on a good performance. We would not book it again, unless we heard better reviews. Good luck and hope you have a great cruise! Cheers!

Oh and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, Depends on Actors. Couple these I went to the Group was always at end of Contract and after 6 months they did a Good Job. My Kids/Grands enjoyed it, but yes agree a one and done for me

• Like 2

We did it on Jewel in 2019.  I was really looking forward to it, but was disappointed.  The "murder" took place in one of the lounges; but we were then moved into a larger space to solve the murder during dinner.  Unfortunately, not many people were interested in the story and it was a loud free-for-all (best I can describe it).  No one paid much attention...instead visiting with their neighbors.  I never did find out who the murderer was.  Best recollection is that dinner was good!

• Haha 1